7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 12, 2013 7:11 AM by sinious

Strange New Error Since RAM and HD Upgrade

Mark.fromOP Level 2

Recently I added more RAM to my machine, I went from 8gb to 32, this update forced me to upgrade to Windows 7 Pro because Win 7 home edition is limited to 16GB, I also added a second hard drive and the files I am working with are on this new hard drive.

When I attempt to publish an Apple .IPA file via Adobe AIR I get this wall of errors. It does not happen every time but when it does it takes many restarts to get it to publish. Any ideas?

FlashCCError.jpg

• 1. Re: Strange New Error Since RAM and HD Upgrade
          sinious Most Valuable Participant

Is this Flash CC? Did you install the Java JRE yourself?

• 2. Re: Strange New Error Since RAM and HD Upgrade
            Mark.fromOP Level 2

Yes Flash CC and I did not install anything that it did not come with, the only difference is a newer AIR SDK, 3.7.0.1860 to be exact.

• 3. Re: Strange New Error Since RAM and HD Upgrade

Ok just making sure it's using 64bit java because CC is a 64bit application.

Did you do an upgrade on your OS install or a fresh install? I've only really seen this when I changed hardware (motherboard specifically) but kept the same OS. Oddities kept happening although I reinstalled all chipset drivers. How did you install your OS?

• 4. Re: Strange New Error Since RAM and HD Upgrade
                Mark.fromOP Level 2

I had to upgrade the OS because windows Home Edition did not support 32GB or ram, so I updated through the built in Windows upgrader, that went smooth and quick but now all the issues. I also get random blue screens now with never before seen errors.

How do I check for the 64 bit compatibility with java?

• 5. Re: Strange New Error Since RAM and HD Upgrade

If you're getting random BSOD's, unfortunately even though Microsoft reported a successful upgrade, I fear it wasn't quite so successful. Converting from 32bit to 64bit might have a kink, whether it be in Windows itself, library or preference.

Blue screens are the only bit of info that brings into question if you have properly updated all your device drivers to their 64bit equivalents. I wonder if you have an older 32bit-only driver for some piece of hardware (motherboard chipset, south bridge controllers (HD), front side bus (PCI, cpu, RAM (sometimes)), Video card, etc. Have you updated every single driver? That may solve your crashing issue itself.

Otherwise if you have general system instability, as much of a pain as it is, sometimes wiping the drive and freshly installing the new 64bit OS is the only way to go.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Strange New Error Since RAM and HD Upgrade
                    Mark.fromOP Level 2

Sinious thanks for the continued help, one note is that I went from a 64bit Windows Home Edition to a 64bit Windows Professional that was the only software change. The hardware was new RAM which from what I understand is a plug and go type of upgrade. I also added a second harddrive and that seems to be working fine but perhaps contributing to the problem. Those were the only 3 changes. I never had this type of error before the upgrades and I had been using Flash CC since its release.

• 7. Re: Strange New Error Since RAM and HD Upgrade

Ah thanks for clarifying 64bit to 64bit upgrade.

When you say blue screen (BSOD) the first thing that always comes to mind is memory issues. It doesn't even matter if you buy the same brand/model/size sticks, they can conflict with each other and blue screen you. The only way to avoid this is typically buy only matched sets (the manufacturer guarantees the RAM was tested together and is packaged together). That doesn't mean buying 2 separate paired sets is the same, they can conflict with each other.

One easy way that just takes patience is to use the good old Prime95 test. I recommend you download it and let it run for at least an hour on the torture test. It will attempt to make your RAM create a mistake, blue screen you, etc. If it does, you may have a RAM issue. I say "may" because it will test your processor, FSB and RAM all together. If it does make a blue screen, try removing all but one module of RAM and test again. If that passes, pair it up and try again. Eventually you will find the RAM combo that is failing if that's the issue.

You can get Prime95 here:

http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft/ (direct link)

Don't sign up for GIMPS (unless you want to), just use the software for the testing purpose.

Lastly many modern motherboards support memtest86 directly in the BIOS menu (press delete, F1 or whatever your motherboard mentioned at PC startup). See if it's in the advanced or troubleshooting menus. That is the industry standard way to test RAM but it's not as easy as Prime95. If you don't have memtest86 in the menu you can download it here:

http://download.cnet.com/Memtest86/3000-2086_4-10524193.html

Note memtest86 is a CD image. You burn that onto a CD and then boot off the CD. It does not run in Windows.

If your memory checks out, that only leaves the HD as a potential issue. If your system reliably blue screens often, taking it out to see if it's causing it should be pretty easy.

1 person found this helpful