6 Replies Latest reply: Apr 6, 2015 6:01 AM by kalamazandy RSS

Broken links between mac and PC when using Illustrator and a NAS server?

dpgorman

When Illustrator files are created by my colleague on his PC, he drags and drops images from various folders into his Illustrator document. The file opens fine on our other PC's, but not on our Macs. We always get broken links messages which is horribly cumbersome. What can we do to fix this?

MAny thanks in advance

• 1. Re: Broken links between mac and PC when using Illustrator and a NAS server?
          Romsinha Adobe Employee

Moving discussion to Illustrator forum.

• 2. Re: Broken links between mac and PC when using Illustrator and a NAS server?
            dpgorman Community Member

Umm...anything else Staff may be able to help with regarding this issue? We are pulling files from (through) bridge into our Illustrator, Photoshop and In Design files. I realize that macs and PC's deal with paths differently. but wondering if Adobe has found a way to deal with this considering so many studios use both platforms? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

• 3. Re: Broken links between mac and PC when using Illustrator and a NAS server?
              tman69 Community Member

really what you have is a workflow issue--to solve this--put the links (copies) and illustrator files in the same folder on your server--then the links are right where you need them from either platform.

(if someone drags and drops from another location you will continue to have the same problem--so tidy up your workflow)

• 4. Re: Broken links between mac and PC when using Illustrator and a NAS server?
                dpgorman Community Member

Much thanks for the reply. My only problem with that workflow is that multiple we often use multiple assets in different projects, and this workflow means we need to have multiple copies of the same asset in different folders. Am I understanding you correctly? The bummer is that all the PC's link the assets just fine, and all the macs link assets just fine leaving us understanding that it is a path/naming convention issue between platforms. I get that it's a platform problem, I was just hoping there was a work around. I can't imagine we are the only studio in the country that uses both platforms, with multiple instances of the same asset per project. Anyway, thanks again for the reply.

• 5. Re: Broken links between mac and PC when using Illustrator and a NAS server?
                  tman69 Community Member

the workaround is to alter your workflow and possibly increase your server space.

where I work we have an 'assets' folder, and we move/copy the assets we need into a 'job' folder for each job we are working on.

IF there are multiple instances of the same asset per project--keep all pieces of the project in a named/numbered folder on your NAS, then any and all will be accessible to anyone working on a piece of the project--just open the 'job' folder and the links are there!

• 6. Re: Broken links between mac and PC when using Illustrator and a NAS server?
                    kalamazandy Community Member

In AfterEffects, if you relink one file it finds all other files based on relative paths. So as long as they are all on the same drive, then finding one file finds them all. Can Adobe at Least figure that one out for illustrator? We have 3 people that insist on using Mac, and that causes this problem any time they save a file. That, and their version of Helvetica seems to cause problems so every time I open a file I have to find and replace helvetica with helvetica. Somehow they are different on mac/pc?

There are scripts that allow you to move back and forth between file paths with OS links. Can't Illustrator just build that in? In my opinion it should always save UNC paths for network drives anyway, and then it's just a matter of changing back and forward slashes, and making %20's to spaces. This seems like something a beginner programmer could do. I know, emphasis on "seems" but this problem has been around for quite some time. It would be nice to have a solution that's better than....."just tell everyone to change their workflow." It would be easier just to get people to stop using Mac (or PC if that's the minority in your office). We are consultants though, so for compatibility with the rest of the world, we use PC because one of our deliverables inevitably ends up being powerpoint, with video in it. And that is Not very cross platform compatible.