7 Replies Latest reply: Sep 7, 2013 5:50 PM by frisco 7 RSS

organizer--dragging

frisco 7

I have of a sudden lost the ability to drag photos in the organizer. Instead of getting the usual miniature of the thumbnail I get a stop symbol (circle with line through it). Just to be clear, all I want to do is place a photo which sometimes randomly gets misplaced into its correct site, e.g 1550 suddenly found next to 1405.) My hunch is that I "did something" that switched or blocked the function.

• 1. Re: organizer--dragging
          Little_Pale_Face Community Member

Hi,

You can only change the order of images when you are viewing an album and have selected Album Order.

Please let us know which version of elements you are using if you need further help.

Brian

• 2. Re: organizer--dragging
            frisco 7 Community Member

Elements 7. Just getting back to photo stuff, but I believe I was able to do this a couple of days ago. I am in fact working in albums, but I don't see any "album order".

• 3. Re: organizer--dragging

Hi,

I don't have version 7 so I can't be exact but at the top, do you see a drop down list showing either Date (Newest First) or Date (Oldest First)? There should be another option of Album Order that can be selected.

Brian

• 4. Re: organizer--dragging

By Jove!! That did it. Funny thing is that for years I am forever using that scroll down to get oldest first, as Organizer seems always to prefer the reverse. I never noticed album order but it must have been clicked. I just learned s.t. When I had say 600 photos all from my Canon EOS in the album, the order and the oldest first were consistent. So that I could have both order and ability to move photos. But where there is in an album (for e.g  I have a miscellany album which has both my canon, my FZ28 pocket and also some IPhone junk, then album order seems to operate to separate all those. Thanks again.

• 5. Re: organizer--dragging

Correction: I still don't know what "album order" rreally does vs oldest and newest first, but I was always able to have them in oldest first AND move photos around. I have just found I can do that at least with those albums which are all from same camera and series of numbering by clicking the "only" 5 star tags just below (as opposed to "and higher"/ "and lower" which is just below. Since I give only 1-4 stras when I do in fact tag, this must have done the trick. Perhaps if you could advis why, that would be great. Thank again.

• 6. Re: organizer--dragging

Hi,

Date (Newest First) and Date (Oldest First) should put the images in date order (descending or ascending). The other thing to look at is in Edit -> Preferences -> General. Look Show Oldest or Newest First. That determines the order the images with the same date appear and you can't move them around.

Album Order will probably start out as one of the above depending on how to started the album but it allows you to manually move the images around. You will probably see numbers on the thumbnail which gives you their position within the album.

Usually, when I create an album, it automatically switches to Album Order but I can't say if version 7 does the same.

There shouldn't be any difference in the way images from different cameras behave, elements just sees them as files. There may be a problem if you get two different images with the same name. I'm assuming that you start off with the Display mode set to Thumbnail View and not Folder Location. If you have a folder selected then only images from that folder will be shown in the album.

Are the photos from different cameras in separate folders?

I hope that helps a bit more.

Brian

• 7. Re: organizer--dragging

Thenks. All explained. I was doing most of this anyway, but somehow must have unchecked album order, because I had always been able to move stuff. Now all back to normal.