18 Replies Latest reply on Aug 7, 2017 11:36 AM by Steve Werner

Cursor acting strange

mcgirts

When I try to get my "select" tool with my cursor, a "move" box with position options pops up.  I'm having trouble drawing text boxes, making existing ones longer or snapping them tight. Can't highlight more than a few words using my cursor without the highlighting disappearing.  Sometimes when I use the "rectangle frame tool,"  it tends to draw several different-size boxes instead of what I'm trying to draw.  Any idea what's happening?  I'm not fluent in InDesign-ese or computer-ese, for that matter; please try to keep your answer basic!  Thanks!

• 2. Re: Cursor acting strange
          Sandee Cohen Adobe Community Professional

All the things you describe are problems with your mouse, your trackpad, or your control of the mouse/trackpad.

The "move" box is because you're double clicking the select tool.

Drawing text frames is a problem because the drag isn't staying chosen.

The highlight disappears because you've clicked again.

You're drawing different sized frames because you're not keeping the mouse button down.

I've had that happen when the battery on my MacBook Pro was wearing down even though I was using the power cord.

I've also had it when my mouse was dying or I had a problem surface on the desk.

Does this happen with other programs. Try Illustrator. Or even MS Word's drawing tools.

• 3. Re: Cursor acting strange
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Or perhaps, since you mention you are a novice, a misunderstanding of which tool to use.

When you say 'When I try to get my "select" tool with my cursor, a "move" box with position options pops up' I'm not sure if you mean you are seeing the Bounding Box and Trasnformation Handles, which is normal when using the Selection tool (looks like a balck arrow), or if you are trying to select text within a text frame with the Text tool (looks like a T), and the frame is being selected instead (not likely -- it would mean you are using the Selection tool, not the Text tool), or that you are using the Direct Select tool (looks like a white arrow), which is used to select the content of frames or individual objects from a Group.

Can you clarify?

• 4. Re: Cursor acting strange
              mcgirts Level 1

Indeed, I’ll clarify!  I’ve not had any trouble with these things until yesterday.  I just changed the batteries in my mouse, to no avail.

I click once on the selection tool (black arrow) and in the middle of the screen appears a 3.5x2.5” grey box titled MOVE with options: (1) on the left for Position: Horizontal and Vertical (I may select in inches) and Distance (I may select in inches) and Angle (I may select in degrees) and (2) on the right for OK/Cancel/Copy/Preview.

Enlarging an existing text box: Example - I have an existing box of text on a page.  At the bottom center of the blue outline is a tiny blue square.  Ordinarily I can place my selection tool over that and extend the length of the box to allow for more text, or I can double-click on it to “snap” it snug to the last row of text.  I can do neither, for some reason.

Highlighting text:  I hold down the left button on my mouse to highlight a section of type, but as I proceed down to select still more type, everything that was already highlighted suddenly becomes un-highlighted.

Does that give you any insight at all?

Clelia Davis

[personal information removed by moderator]

• 5. Re: Cursor acting strange

Indeed, I think it does. That dialog is normally associated with a double-click on the selection tool when something is selected. Is this the same mouse you've been using right along? Perhaps the sensitivity has been reset too high and it's recording a double-click?

I would try the steps to replace the prefs in Salah's link above, too.

• 6. Re: Cursor acting strange
                  mcgirts Level 1

Will do; thank you!

• 7. Re: Cursor acting strange

I forgot to mention you should remove your personal info when replying by email. It all gets posted on the web.

• 8. Re: Cursor acting strange
                      mcgirts Level 1

Wow.

Thank you!

• 9. Re: Cursor acting strange

Wow?

• 10. Re: Cursor acting strange
                          mcgirts Level 1

As in surprised, shocked, concerned, wish I’d known that before I started down this path . . . “Fox Went Out on a Chilly Night” ring any bells with you?

• 11. Re: Cursor acting strange

Sure, a favorite from my childhood, but I don't see the context here.

If you mean the procedure to replace prefs, it's easier than it sounds. If you mean the posting to the web, that's all in the fine print in the emails you receive.

• 12. Re: Cursor acting strange
                              mcgirts Level 1

You share the author’s name!  That’s all!

• 13. Re: Cursor acting strange

Oh, that. He's a distant cousin. I used to get requests for autographs.

• 14. Re: Cursor acting strange
                                  mcgirts Level 1

I sincerely doubted that a gentleman his age would be spending his Saturday morning trying to lift me out of my InDesign woes, but one never knows!  The story was one of my favorites, as well; my dad used to sing it to us!

• 15. Re: Cursor acting strange

I'm no spring chicken, either.

• 16. Re: Cursor acting strange
                                      mcgirts Level 1

If we weren’t, we would have missed the book, so I have no regrets.

• 17. Re: Cursor acting strange
                                        edithr85176271

Realize that this is some years later from the original post. However, I happened upon this page because I had the exact thing happen — before and after I changed the batteries. My cursor in InDesign kept flashing between the text tool and the tool I actually had selected. It wasn't driving me crazy.

If you are on a Mac and using Safari, I remembered that there can be a conflict. Don't ask me why, but sometimes my hand tool won't work when I press the space bar. What you need to do is shut down InDesign and Safari. Open them back up. Seems to solve my problem every time—including this one.

• 18. Re: Cursor acting strange
                                          Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

That usually means that one of your browser Extensions or browser Plug-ins is conflicting with InDesign. You may need to experiment to figure out which one.