17 Replies Latest reply on Sep 11, 2013 9:26 AM by A.T. Romano

Premiere - screen flicker when burning to DVD but no other formats

RichardnBrandon

In adobe premiere i can share a video to MPEG or some other format perfectly (and you tube) but when i burn the same project to DVD i get frame flicker especially on fast moving image

• 1. Re: Premiere - screen flicker when burning to DVD but no other formats
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

This is usually caused by an interlacing mismatch between your video and project settings.

Which version of the program are you using?

What model of camcorder did your original video come from and what format and resolution is it?

When you look under the Edit menu, what are listed as your project settings?

• 2. Re: Premiere - screen flicker when burning to DVD but no other formats
            RichardnBrandon Level 1

I'm using Adobe Premiere Elements 10

I have the same problem with original video comes from two different sources (so i dont think thats the problem) - an AVI file provided by a professional cine-DVD conversion and my panasanoc HD camcorder with is HD resolution (Cant tell you much more than that i'm afraid)

Project Setting are:

General -

Editing Mode DV PAL

Timebase 25.00 frame/s

Display Format 25fps Timecode

Capture Format is DV

Video Rendering - only optimise stills box is checked

My DVD Burn settings are PAL_Dolby DVD ( iam in the UK so assumed i should use PAL)

Quality Fit Contents to AVailable space box is checked

I also noticed since first posting that some of the final DVD seems fine and other scenes flicker even though they have consistent source files throughout - not sure if this is relevant - thanks for engaging on this i really appreciate it

• 3. Re: Premiere - screen flicker when burning to DVD but no other formats

It's hard to say without knowing the specifics of your video file. Sometimes professional who convert video use non-standard codecs and frame rates, which can cause trouble when you try to edit them.

Open one of your videos is a program like MediaInfo or G Spot and post the resolution, frame rate, interlacing method and, above all, the audio and video codecs the file uses.

• 4. Re: Premiere - screen flicker when burning to DVD but no other formats
                RichardnBrandon Level 1

i've dowloaded MediaInfor and extrated this information if that helps (i dont think the professional file in itself is the issue as i've had the same problem from my own panasonic HD camcorder)

General

Complete name                            : D:\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_1.VOB

Format                                   : MPEG-PS

File size                                : 1 024 MiB

Duration                                 : 19mn 37s

Overall bit rate mode                    : Variable

Overall bit rate                         : 7 295 Kbps

Video

ID                                       : 224 (0xE0)

Format                                   : MPEG Video

Format version                           : Version 2

Format profile                           : Main@Main

Format settings, BVOP                    : Yes

Format settings, Matrix                  : Default

Format settings, GOP                     : Variable

Bit rate mode                            : Variable

Bit rate                                 : 6 958 Kbps

Maximum bit rate                         : 7 813 Kbps

Width                                    : 720 pixels

Height                                   : 576 pixels

Display aspect ratio                     : 4:3

Frame rate                               : 25.000 fps

Standard                                 : PAL

Color space                              : YUV

Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0

Bit depth                                : 8 bits

Scan type                                : Interlaced

Scan order                               : Bottom Field First

Compression mode                         : Lossy

Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.671

Time code of first frame                 : 00:00:00:00

Time code source                         : Group of pictures header

Stream size                              : 977 MiB (95%)

Audio

ID                                       : 189 (0xBD)-128 (0x80)

Format                                   : AC-3

Format/Info                              : Audio Coding 3

Mode extension                           : CM (complete main)

Format settings, Endianness              : Big

Muxing mode                              : DVD-Video

Bit rate mode                            : Constant

Bit rate                                 : 192 Kbps

Channel(s)                               : 2 channels

Channel positions                        : Front: L R

Sampling rate                            : 48.0 KHz

Bit depth                                : 16 bits

Delay relative to video                  : -80ms

Stream size                              : 26.9 MiB (3%)

• 5. Re: Premiere - screen flicker when burning to DVD but no other formats

Okay, this is very different. You told me you were working with AVIs, didn't you?

First, set  up your project by selecting Project Settings for Hard Disk Camcorder, Standard Definition. This is very important. Then import the video into your project -- ideally by inserting the disk in your computer's disk drive and using Get Media/From PC DVD or DVD Camcorder to rip the files to your hard drive. Then, when you edit and output as a DVD, you won't get the stuttering frames.

If your project is done and you don't want to start all over, there's another fix, but it's a little more work.

You'll need to right-click on each clip on your timeline and select Field Options and then, on the Field Options option panel, set each clip to Reverse Field Dominance. This will eliminate the conflict that's causing the stutter you're seeing in your output.

As I show you in my books and in my tutorials at Premiere Elements support site Muvipix.com, the key to preventing this issues is setting up your project properly to match your video specs. (In version 11, this happens automatically, so it's less of an issue.)

• 6. Re: Premiere - screen flicker when burning to DVD but no other formats
                    RichardnBrandon Level 1

Thanks for this

(To clarify the file details i posted were for the DVD output noy my original files - which have been both AVIs and Camcrider files - sorry - perhaps you wanted me to analyses the input files?)

I will try your suggestion (second version as the projects are complete) but before i change  them you've got me thinking that the flickering clips may have all been time stretched in the edit (not lots - else i'd have realised - but stretched out to fit music by small amounts)

If this is the case would your Reverse Field Dominance fix still be appropriate and/or is this a likely cause of my problem?

thanks

• 7. Re: Premiere - screen flicker when burning to DVD but no other formats

If you are using DVD clips in a project set up for DV footage, you need to reverse the field dominance in those clips. Time Stretch has little to do with it.

• 8. Re: Premiere - screen flicker when burning to DVD but no other formats
                        RichardnBrandon Level 1

(they arent dvd clips inside the project - just AVI and the camcorder DV output)

sounds like i should try reverse or interleaving options and see if that helps

(but the more i look at it is only time streched sections that have  funny 'to and fro' flicker - they have only been stretched by small percentages - 10-15 % for example)

• 9. Re: Premiere - screen flicker when burning to DVD but no other formats

>(they arent dvd clips inside the project - just AVI and the camcorder DV output)

Now I'm confused. The Media Info report you posted above shows you are working with VOB/MPEG clips.

• 10. Re: Premiere - screen flicker when burning to DVD but no other formats
                            RichardnBrandon Level 1

i'm sorry - maybe i didnt use it properly - i used it on a file on the DVD  disc i'd burned which was a TS-Video file i think.

I suspect i should have used it on teh source file?

• 11. Re: Premiere - screen flicker when burning to DVD but no other formats

Yes. That's what I need to know. The specs of the source video.

• 12. Re: Premiere - screen flicker when burning to DVD but no other formats
                                RichardnBrandon Level 1

I have now amended the field settings of the affected clips and burned a new DVD with each option - one version with reversed field applied to all affected clips and another with de-interleaved box checked (but no reverse field). Both look fine on preview or MPEG output but both still 'stutter' on the DVD (possibly worse in the case of de-interleaved option)

I can also confirm for definite that is is only time-stretched clips that are suffering this problem on the DVD - the other clips are all perfect

my apologies for send ing the worng file infoi - please see below the mediainfo for the source file file from my camera and below that the AVI file

CAMERA FILE

General

ID                                       : 1 (0x1)

Complete name                            : C:\Users\Richard\Videos\Movies\Richards 50th Birthday\00014.MTS

Format                                   : BDAV

Format/Info                              : Blu-ray Video

File size                                : 44.8 MiB

Duration                                 : 14s 335ms

Overall bit rate mode                    : Variable

Overall bit rate                         : 26.2 Mbps

Maximum Overall bit rate                 : 28.0 Mbps

AVI FILE PROPERTIES

General

Complete name                            : E:\c1969-1-01.avi

Format                                   : AVI

Format/Info                              : Audio Video Interleave

Format profile                           : OpenDML

File size                                : 2.68 GiB

Duration                                 : 21mn 26s

Overall bit rate                         : 17.9 Mbps

Video

ID                                       : 0

Format                                   : JPEG

Codec ID                                 : MJPG

Bit rate                                 : 16.3 Mbps

Width                                    : 1 280 pixels

Height                                   : 720 pixels

Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9

Frame rate                               : 16.000 fps

Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:2

Scan type                                : Interlaced

Scan order                               : Top Field First

Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 1.105

Stream size                              : 2.44 GiB (91%)

Audio

ID                                       : 1

Format                                   : PCM

Format settings, Endianness              : Little

Format settings, Sign                    : Signed

Codec ID                                 : 1

Bit rate                                 : 1 536 Kbps

Stream size                              : 236 MiB (9%)

Alignment                                : Aligned on interleaves

Interleave, duration                     : 63 ms (1.00 video frame)

Interleave, preload duration             : 62 ms

Video

ID                                       : 4113 (0x1011)

Menu ID                                  : 1 (0x1)

Format                                   : AVC

Format/Info                              : Advanced Video Codec

Format profile                           : High@L4.2

Format settings, CABAC                   : Yes

Format settings, ReFrames                : 4 frames

Format settings, GOP                     : M=3, N=24

Codec ID                                 : 27

Duration                                 : 14s 360ms

Bit rate mode                            : Variable

Bit rate                                 : 24.9 Mbps

Maximum bit rate                         : 26.0 Mbps

Width                                    : 1 920 pixels

Height                                   : 1 080 pixels

Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9

Frame rate                               : 50.000 fps

Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0

Scan type                                : Progressive

Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.240

Stream size                              : 42.7 MiB (95%)

Audio

ID                                       : 4352 (0x1100)

Format                                   : AC-3

Format/Info                              : Audio Coding 3

Mode extension                           : CM (complete main)

Format settings, Endianness              : Big

Codec ID                                 : 129

Duration                                 : 14s 432ms

Bit rate                                 : 256 Kbps

Channel positions                        : Front: L R

Delay relative to video                  : -40ms

Stream size                              : 451 KiB (1%)

Text

ID                                       : 4608 (0x1200)

Format                                   : PGS

Codec ID                                 : 144

Duration                                 : 13s 856ms

Delay relative to video                  : -40ms

• 13. Re: Premiere - screen flicker when burning to DVD but no other formats

You've got a couple of things going on here.

1) Your AVI video uses the MJPEG codec, a codec that often gives Premiere Elements problems. It is also uses a resolution of 1280x720 and a frame rate of 16 fps. This video is just not going to look good in Premiere Elements at all -- particularly in version 10, which needs to match its project settings to your video very precisely. Your project is set up for 720x576 DV with a frame rate of 25 fps.

I'm not sure what the people who telecined your video were thinking, but they've given you a file that's just not going to edit well.

2) Your mixing into the same project a high-def MTS 1920x1080 video file. Version 10 does not mix video sources well at all -- particularly two very different video sources.

I'm really not sure what to recommend, in fact. You can try right-clicking on each clip and setting each to Frame Blend. But even then, no guarantees. What you've got may be about as good as you can get, based on what you're working with. I'm sorry, I wish I had better advice for you.

It's possible ATR or Bill or one of the others on this forum can offer some solution. There are certainly ways to work with the AVCHD footage you've shot -- if you set up a project based on those specs. But mixing this MJPEG-AVI with it in the same version 10 project is just going to result in a compromised video.

• 14. Re: Premiere - screen flicker when burning to DVD but no other formats
                                    RichardnBrandon Level 1

well whatever happens thanks for all the advice

These are actually two separate projects wit the same problem (i'm not mixing source types in one project) - so if i can even fix one that would help.

The AVI was converted from old cine film and perhaps thats why it is a strange frame rate - presumably there's nothing i can do to change the project settings to match now?

• 15. Re: Premiere - screen flicker when burning to DVD but no other formats
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

RichardnBrandon

If you are still open to troubleshooting, the following is what I would like you to do and then let us know the results.

Premiere Elements 10 Windows.

Footage "1920 x 1080 @ 50 progressive frames per second"

Set the Premiere Elements 10 Windows project preset = PAL/DSLR/1080p/DSLR 1080p25.

After import, go to burn to DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc,

Share/Disc/DVD disc and use the preset of PAL_Widescreen_Dolby DVD.

What does that look like at playback

a. on computer player

and

b. playback on TV DVD Player?

If that is satisfactory, then we will move forward with your very a typical for Premiere Elements format of:

1280 x 720 @ 16 interlaced frames per second. Here the video compression is MotionJPEG and the file

extension is .avi.

We will be watching for your follow up.

Thanks.

ATR

• 16. Re: Premiere - screen flicker when burning to DVD but no other formats
                                        RichardnBrandon Level 1

it looks fine on the computer but i am out of dvd discs to burn so need to get some more to see whether time stretced clips display properly on the TV DVD

I see now that is the right project setting so i've learnt something here at least

i dont have the heart to re-edit my original projects from scratch though -  so maybe i have to put this down to a learning experience :-(

• 17. Re: Premiere - screen flicker when burning to DVD but no other formats
                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

RichardnBrandon

Thanks for the update.

We will be watching for further developments.

Please do not hesitate to ask if you have any questions or need clarification on anything that I have written.

ATR