6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 10, 2013 12:47 AM by Neofilm

60P (Frame Rate: 59.94) No Audio

Neofilm Level 1

When I import into premiere AVCHD files (.m2ts) that are recorded at 60P with my Sony ea50uh there is no audio. When I "get properties for" the 60P file premiere doesn't give any information on the audio. There is audio because I hear it when I play it through my Sony PMB software on my computer.

Here's what the "get properties for" displays:

Type: MPEG Movie

Image Size: 1920 x 1080

Pixel Depth: 32

Frame Rate: 59.94

Average Data Rate: 3.3 MB / second

Pixel Aspect Ratio: 1.0

If I record in 24P with this camera premiere has no problems recognizing and importing the audio. Here's the "get properties for" 24P

Type: MPEG Movie

Image Size: 1920 x 1080

Pixel Depth: 32

Frame Rate: 23.976

Source Audio Format: 48000 Hz - compressed - Stereo

Project Audio Format: 48000 Hz - 32 bit floating point - Stereo

Average Data Rate: 2.8 MB / second

Pixel Aspect Ratio: 1.0

How can I fix premiere to bring in the audio for 60P video?

• 1. Re: 60P (Frame Rate: 59.94) No Audio
          Jim_Simon Level 8

Here's my advice, though you may not like it.

You can't use 1080p/60 for broadcast, Blu-ray or DVD.  The whole point of 1080p/60 is buttery smooth slow motion, which won't have any audio anyway.  So, when you want audio, shoot in any of the standard Blu-ray compliant formats.  And only shoot 1080p/60 for that slow motion effect.

• 2. Re: 60P (Frame Rate: 59.94) No Audio
            Neofilm Level 1

That isn't a solution that's avoiding a solution. Yes, I want to use it for slow motion, but I want to determine when to use it for slow montion in the editing process. When I shoot an event I don't have time to switch frame rates or even a way to anticipate when I will ultimately want it. So, I'd rather just shoot in 60p if there's a chance.

There is audio there, how do i get it in premiere? Premiere should be able to handle it, a lot of cameras shoot this frame rate these days. We need a way to transition in and out of slow motion, meaning audio needs to be there for the parts leading up to the slow motion and after slow motion...

• 3. Re: 60P (Frame Rate: 59.94) No Audio
              Keith Moreau Level 1

I've experienced this before with Sony 60P AVCHD with LPCM audio, which I use all the time with the Sony FS100 and FS700. It seems there is a bug in Premiere Pro that doesn't know how to deal with this combination. I have not experienced this when the audio is the compressed 'AVCHD' type of audio that is usually the default with consumer camcorders recording at 60P. I also agree that using 60P is a very good framerate as acqusition format for a variety of reasons, so I don't really agree with Jim in this case.

My solution (I'm a Mac guy but there is probably a PC solution as well) is to take clips that are acquired with AVCHD Video and LPCM audio and run it through a great app I used called "Clipwrap" by Divergent Media. It understands all kinds of AVCHD formats and can then 'wrap' them as .MOV files, transcode them to Prores, and do a number of things that will allow Premiere Pro to recognize the sound. I hope this is helpful.

• 4. Re: 60P (Frame Rate: 59.94) No Audio
                Keith Moreau Level 1

Actually I have to ammend my comment - I also think I may have experience this issue with 60P audio with some of the varieties of multichannel AVCHD hd audio that is available, but I have not experienced it lately in CC for either 5.1 Audio or Stereo audio on the AVCHD camcorders that don't have LPCM audio.

• 5. Re: 60P (Frame Rate: 59.94) No Audio
                  Lazling Level 1

Try to change the 60p frame rate into 30p before improting your original Sony MTS video into Premiere Pro. A relevent thread offers a solution for us: http://www.on9g.com/en/viewthread.php?tid=61547

• 6. Re: 60P (Frame Rate: 59.94) No Audio
                    Neofilm Level 1

No, I want premiere to know accept it.

I got into AVCHD back when it first came out. I had to wait for Adobe to catch up, it took about 2 years before I could really edit AVCHD. This is probably just another case of "wait for Adobe to wake up and catch up".

I think if adobe isn't going to fix this issue or there isn't a practical solution the best thing would be for me to figure out how to export the audio from the 60P footage, that should be faster than rewrapping, transcoding it, or changing the frame rates. I don't want to change the frame rates, that defeats the entire purpose for shooting it in 60P, hence my saying in an earlier reply "I want to use it for slow motion, but I want to determine when to use it for slow montion in the editing process. When I shoot an event I don't have time to switch frame rates or even a way to anticipate when I will ultimately want it. So, I'd rather just shoot in 60p if there's a chance." Shooting in 60P and then slowing it down in premiere to 30P when I want slow motion. This presumably will enable me to transition smoothly from normal motion to slow when I want non destructively (I should emphasize presumably because I haven't done this yet, plan to tomorrow:))

So, maybe I just need to export the audio from the clips somehow and then bring that into premiere. Or try and different audio setting in the camera instead of LPCM. However, LPCM isn't a problem in the other with 24P or 30P when set to those in camera...