3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 7, 2013 10:57 PM by Steven L. Gotz

Can I import rw2 files (from GH3) into Ad. Prem. Pro?

Philos3224

Any way to do this?

• 1. Re: Can I import rw2 files (from GH3) into Ad. Prem. Pro?
          Steven L. Gotz Level 5

No.

You will need to export them from Photoshop or Lightroom. Use JPG or PNG.

Look at it this way. Most RAW files (and I commend you for shooting RAW) require a little adjustment or they look flat. They are designed to just take in all of the information from the sensor, and that information needs to be filtered to give you a proper contrast, and maybe even exposure. Whites, blacks, shadows... All of these things need Photoshop or Lightroom.

Let's look at it another way. The RAW files from the GH3 are usually 4608X3072. That size JPG or PNG file can be handled by Premiere Pro, but is it something you really want to do? Well, if you are planning on panning all over the picture, then sure. But if you are going to scale the picture down to fit into a high definition video, perhaps 1920X1080, why make Premiere Pro do the work when Photoshop or Lightroom both do it better.

If you don't have Lightroom or Photoshop, there will be an release very soon where you can subscribe to both programs for a total of $9.99 per month for the pair. That is a huge savings. On the other hand, I think you can probably use Photoshop Elements and it still has a perpetual license. And I think Lightroom still does also.

• 2. Re: Can I import rw2 files (from GH3) into Ad. Prem. Pro?
            Philos3224 Level 1

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.

You hit the nail on the head: high resolution to be able to pan/scan; wanted to be able to color correct alongside all the video, but this might not be the best workflow. I can still import large jpgs with little color alteration.

• 3. Re: Can I import rw2 files (from GH3) into Ad. Prem. Pro?
              Steven L. Gotz Level 5

If I were in your shoes (and I often am) I would use PNG instead of JPG.

You might want to take a few minutes and compare the two outputs to see if the difference is detectable and relevant to your workflow.

1 person found this helpful