2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 9, 2013 10:33 AM by Sharingene

InDesign - Bug in Indexing?

Sharingene Level 1

For the life of me I can't figure out how to fix this minor issue.  I'm making an index for a book and it's turning out great EXCEPT the commas  between the page numbers after each index entry are invisible!  It seems that somehow they are in white while the rest of my text is black.

The only way I can fix it is to manually highlight each section and click on the black swatch, the they reappear.   This is a major pain because my headers are a different color so I can't highlight everything without changing their color to black.  ALSO every time I update the index, the invisible white commas return.  I've tried to find where to fix this in the paragraph styles menu but to no avail.  I don't know where else to look or why the color for the commas would be set differently from the rest of the text anyway.

Can anyone suggest how I might fix this or is it just some strange bug in CS5.5?

• 1. Re: InDesign - Bug in Indexing?
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Sounds like a character style is being applied to the commas.

• 2. Re: InDesign - Bug in Indexing?
            Sharingene Level 1

Thanks Peter, you're right. I had used a template from the book to create the index document which contained several character and paragraph styles from the book. For some strange reason instead falling under the index styles, the commas  were defaulting to a "white caption" style I'd made for the book--making them "invisible" on the white page.  After deleting that character style, they changed to blue--based on another old character style.  I deleted all the old character styles and the problem was solved.  Not sure why the commas became singled out from the rest of the text in the index, but at least the problem is solved! Thank you!