6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 8, 2013 8:17 PM by lischwartz@comcast.net

Toolbox inactive

lischwartz@comcast.net

The tools in my tool box do not work.  for example, to type I must use the "T" keyboard.  The "T" in the tool box doesn't do it.  Other tools act the same way.  I'm guessing there is a preference or option that I have to change, but never had to do it before so I don't know where it is.  I am trying this with IDCC.  Did not experience problem with ID6.

Thanks,

Les

• 1. Re: Toolbox inactive
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Windows 7? Large fonts enabled?

• 2. Re: Toolbox inactive
            lischwartz@comcast.net Level 1

Hi,

This is the first time that I am using this forum and I’m not sure about the procedures.  First thing I’m not sure of, is whether I can reply to your email. Assuming that I can, There seems to be something not set correctly in my version of ID CC.  I did not have this problem with IDCS6.  I’m pretty sure it has nothing to do with fonts or type, I used the toolbox “T” as an example.  Other selections on the toolbox are not functioning properly either.   I reinstalled ID but the problem persists. In summary, I’m looking for some kind of setting that will activate the selections from the toolbox.  By the way, I can activate the selections using the keyboard selections, so there doesn’t seem to be anything wrong with the operation of the tool only the inability to activate the function from the toolbox icons.

I will be thankful for any help.

Also, if it isn’t too much to ask, should I be doing this within the forum or is reply via email the proper way??

Les

• 3. Re: Toolbox inactive
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

You didn't answer Bob's question, but it does sound like this: InDesign tools and panels don't respond to mouse clicks (Windows 7/Vista)

• 4. Re: Toolbox inactive

Thanks bob and Peter,

I want to add more information.  I am using windows 7.  I previously, before the Cloud, I was using CS6.  Since downloading and installing CC applications, ID has been behaving as described in the original post.  I opened ID CS6 which behaved as described for ID CC, in addition, in both cases (CS6 and CC) the ribbon was not active either.  I could change font by dropping down the [Type] menu item but not by using the ribbon. 

I also, tested the other Adobe products that have similar tool boxes and found out that the tool boxes in AI and PS behave as expected.

I still suspect that there is something malfunctioning in the ID installation.

I don't know what or how to fix it.

I didn't do anything to "aero" or change my screen parameters.  I have rebooted my system several times since this conditions was first discovered.

Thanks for your help and I invite others who may be familiar with this situation.

Thanks,

Les

• 5. Re: Toolbox inactive
                  BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Do you or do you not have system fonts set to 150%?

• 6. Re: Toolbox inactive

Bob, Peter,

Thank you again for making me look deeper into the problem.  Your answers were not really relevant to the issue or maybe they were but I didn’t know enough to know that.  I wasn’t aware of “aero” and I don’t know if my system fonts were at 150%.  But since everything worked if I used the keyboard shortcuts, I kept looking for something else.  I can’t explain how what I did fixed anything, but InDesign now works as expected.  Here’s what I did.  Uninstalled ID CS6, rebooted and now ID’s toolbox and functions are behaving as I want them to.  Now, I can begin my project – the hard part! 

It’s nice to know that there are knowledgeable people around who are willing to help out new guys like me.  I have not been briefed in any way about the conduct of using this forum.   Please let me know if I broke any of the Forum’s taboos, but now that I got a platform to work on, I will go back to the forum and read the rules and the FAQs.

Thanks again,

Les