1 person found this helpful
Best I can suggest is to see Adobe Community: File Crashing on Output - printing/PDF/other for advice on troubleshooting. Your crash log definitely implicates the indexing module, though.
Thanks for this suggestion. I read that discussion and tried to split the problem in half and in half again and so forth. I couldn't export the latter half of the document. Then, I couldn't export the index by itself. I even tried exporting a single page. It crashed on each of these attempts.
My next thought was to delete all index entries. As it turns out, I was able to delete all but four. Each of the four is a "see" or "see also" entry but there's no pointer to another referenced topic. They just say See (and then a blank) or See also (and then another blank). They appear to be corrupt because:
- when I try to delete them, InDesign crashes
- when I try to edit them, my edits are ignored in the Index dialog box after clicking OK.
- I can not delete them by selecting them and clicking the trash can icon. (InDesign crashes).
I have posted another crash report at http://pastebin.com/1ttXDtML. This was the crash report I generated in which all index entries except the problematic four were deleted. Does this give additional insight?
Is there a way to delete those problematic index entries? If so, I haven't been able to figure that out.
The crash looks essentially the same. Is the index in a separate story? You could try exporting the other stories to tagged text and import them into a new file, then rebuild the index.
Oh, I was hoping for an easier way! :-) The index has about 3000 entries. At different times, we started over but never understood how it became corrupted. Since we still don't know what to avoid, I have no reason to believe I could successfully rebuild the index. I wonder if this is something a file recovery service (like Markzware) could help resolve. Any familiarity with them?
As a matter of fact, yes, and my experience was that the index entries were not recovered.
Did this file start out in an earlier version and get converted at some point? The symptoms sound like that might be the case.
This document started in version 5 but so did the problems. We've moved to 5.5 and also tried CC to see if that would help. The problems continue to dog us.
I've started following up on the tagged text/rebuild index suggestion you made.
The largest story generated 14 pairs of errors. Just like this one but with different line numbers:
<Line No>:- 4470 <Error>:- Ignoring paragraph level attribute termination tag "<bnNumberingStyle:>" found without the corresponding paragraph level attribute application tag "<bnNumberingStyle:Value>".
<Line No>:- 4470 <Error>:- Ignoring paragraph level attribute termination tag "<numNumber:>" found without the corresponding paragraph level attribute application tag "<numNumber:Value>".
I haven't figured out how to view line numbers or tags yet. I hope it'll be clear once I can see the tags. I hope correcting the problem will solve the crash problem, too.
I had to work on some other things and am just getting back to this task now. If you have any advice on line numbers or tags, I would be grateful although I'm hoping I can find it online somewhere. (I don't use ID on a regular basis so troubleshooting it is a challenge for me!)
P.S. Thanks for the info about Markzware, too.
You can view the tagged text in any ordinary plain text editor (though you'll most likley need to count the lines yourself). the tags shold be pretty self-evident when you open a file. Rather than searching for the errors though, it might be worth just seeing what happens when you try to place the tagged text file.
Not that it helps you in the slightest, but my experience has been that it seldom helps to move a problem file to a newer version.
I tried to place the tagged text file and received a log of the errors. When I tried to export and then re-open, ID crashed so I'm hoping that correcting the errors will resolve the crash problem. (I hope I"m not kidding myself).
I have Text Wrangler which (I think) will give me line numbers.
We tried the newer versions of ID hoping there might be some bug fixes that would solve the problems. We also need to convert the book to Kindle and the newer version is supposed to be better for mobile formats. I'll keep posting my progress. I really appreciate your suggestions.
OK, the errors probably are important. I cna't really tell you how to fix them, but hopefully there will be other places with similar text that will make it more obvious what needs doing. Once it works properly in some version you should be in a position to move it forward, though I'd do that with a .idml version rather than .indd.
YOU ARE MY HERO!!!!! It took a quite a few hours but I exported tagged text from a corrupt file and placed it into a clean file. When ID threw errors, I used Text Wrangler to see what was going on. The lines were incredibly corrupt. There were a many tags in a row -- absolutely impenetrable to me. So, I deleted the problematic lines - flagging them in the original so I could replace them later.
After enough iterations of error clean up, the file is behaving again. I could go scrub out more errors --- and will if necessary --- but I'm hoping it is "good enough" for now.
The first author is quite pleased. He said he could "index with abandon now that we know how to clean up the errors." I told him he needed to "index with care" because I didn't want to spend another two days like this. :-)
Thanks again for your help. I couldn't have done it without your advice, coaching, and tips.
I'm so glad you got this to work. Cleanup can certainly be a royal pain, but the loss of the entire doument is probably worse.