3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 9, 2013 2:51 PM by JaysonM-Y

Merged clips source

DA post prod Level 2

Hi everyone,

Recently I've been working with merged clips in Premiere Pro, and I wonder how you could find the video and the audio source from the merged clips once the name has been changed and the clip moved away (or even worse deleted from the project) ? Is there anyway to do that ? Because the file path for merged clips is blank.

I've found a workaround that consist of offlining the merged clips and relink it : in the location window it tells you the files that use the merged clip. But it's a complicated workaround if you have more than 10 clips, which happens often.

• 1. Re: Merged clips source
          JaysonM-Y Level 3

I've had a similar problem before, which is why I started working with nests instead of merged clips in some instances.

What do you mean by

once the name has been changed and the clip moved away (or even worse deleted from the project)

I hope you didn't mean the source material, that causes problems for everything.
          If one of the source path windows show up blank via right-click > properties, then that means something is offline and should be relinked.

• 2. Re: Merged clips source
            DA post prod Level 2

Sorry for not being clear. I was talking about renaming the merged clips. For instance, if I have a file named "audio01.wav" which I merged with "video01.mov" and rename it "action1", there is no reference in the renamed merged clips and the source clips.

Of course I could rename it "action1_audio01_video01" but makes the workflow a bit complicated.

What is great in Ppro though is that even with the source clips deleted the merged clip still remains in the project and stays connected to the source files. Which is it's even more bothering not being able to show information about source clips from a merged clips.

• 3. Re: Merged clips source
              JaysonM-Y Level 3

That's weird. When I right-click and hit up the properties on a merged clip, it shows the properties for both clips. CS6 btw.
              Merged Clips Properties.PNG