17 Replies Latest reply on Jul 9, 2015 9:02 AM by jeovanyc19455985

Premiere Timeline Problem

geoffhamrick123

My Timeline in Premiere will not allow me to drag any contents into it. The area turned black. I got the black region to look a little more like normal, but I still couldn't drag clips/files into this container (bottom right area). I even created new project/sequence and all files now are set up this way. I literally cannot edit with the way it is. IMAGE ATTACHED! Please help

issue_timeline.jpg

• 1. Re: Premiere Timeline Problem
          Our man Flint

Try clicking on your sequence to bring it up in the timeline window. (In your picture, the top left icon in pojects area).

• 2. Re: Premiere Timeline Problem
            Jim_Simon Level 8

Here's a tip.  What does it say right next to the word Timeline, above the timecode?

• 3. Re: Premiere Timeline Problem
              Steven L. Gotz Level 5

Jim,

So, here's a question for you.

You and I both know that Premiere Pro has to have a sequence to have a timeline, but how is it that everyone else is supposed to know what a sequence is?

Perhaps we should just refer everyone to http://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/learn/start/premiere.html

• 4. Re: Premiere Timeline Problem
                shooternz Level 6
                You and I both know that Premiere Pro has to have a sequence to have a timeline, but how is it that everyone else is supposed to know what a sequence is?

Maybe  a reasonable question of Jim...but,,

I cant think of a program that doesnt require one to open a "work space" before commencing work.

Examples.

Word > New Page Document

Excel> New Workbook

After Effects > New Composition

Photo Shop> New Canvas

Audition > New Session

Contacts> New contact

Premiere> New Sequence

Interesting that all these and others have a 'File Menu' with a drop down.

Of course RTFM is still an option in any program.

Now where is that darn Sticky Link to the Premiere Help Reference File Joe?

true tone echo.jpg

• 5. Re: Premiere Timeline Problem
                  Steven L. Gotz Level 5

Not to be argumentative, because this is a fairly serious issue...But....

Word and Excel both open with a blank document because there is a normal.dot for Word (don't know the same for Excel).

If I go to Premiere Pro and select File, New, I still don't see the word "Timeline". If other programs all call them timelines, and earlier versions of Premiere Pro called them timelines, where the heck did the word "Sequence" come into play?

• 6. Re: Premiere Timeline Problem
                    shooternz Level 6
                    Word and Excel both open with a blank document because there is a normal.dot for Word (don't know the same for Excel).

Mine dont. They open with a splash screen asking what I want to do unless I am opening an existing "document"

I wasnt arguing Steven.  Just pointing out a well established "modus operandi" of software applications.

I guess a newer user generation just needs more hand holding and is less inquisitive about that big menu bar across the top with its well established functioning. (Even works across platforms and O.S's)

Pretty much the first place I explore when looking at a new application or an updated application.  Thats where all the goodies are and it will be the same in Octobers new Premiere update.

• 7. Re: Premiere Timeline Problem
                      Steven L. Gotz Level 5

Mine do. But I am still using the 2003 versions because there never seemed to be a really good reason to upgrade. So maybe it is the new "In" thing to do.

I have no problem with the concept of creating a sequence. I have a problem with the word itself. If almost everyone thinks it should be called a timeline, all that Adobe would need to do is list it as Sequence/Timeline instead of just Sequence and the majority of the problem would disappear. People would find it on their own.

If the section that said "no sequences" had a note next to it that said something like "To create a new timeline, select File/New/Sequence", that would be fine and people would know to associate the word Sequence with a Timeline.

• 8. Re: Premiere Timeline Problem
                        shooternz Level 6

I use the terms "sequence and timeline", interchangeably... and thankfully... understand what I am saying to myself.

Sequence makes more sense to me though because timeline does not relate to an absolutein  time or space.

Jeez... what have we started here?

• 9. Re: Premiere Timeline Problem
                          Jim_Simon Level 8

how is it that everyone else is supposed to know what a sequence is?

F1, the same way you and I learned what it is.

• 10. Re: Premiere Timeline Problem
                            Steven L. Gotz Level 5

F1, the same way you and I learned what ti is.

Hmmm. Well, I think Craig, you and I and many others around here may be the exception, not the rule.

I believe I can speak for a few of us when I say we study the new releases and therefore catch the nuances of some of the changes. Even though I personally seem to miss a few now and then. We do this to remain useful on these forums, and to squeeze every last drop of value out of the money we pay for our software. We end up knowing how to do a bunch of stuff we will never actually use. But on the off chance that we might use it one day, we will have it in our arsenal when we need it.

But because Premiere Pro is supposed to pretty much do what other NLEs do, my guess is that people coming from other products are expecting the same general terms to be of use. L Cut, J cut, trim, timeline, etc.

An experienced FCP editor might think that they should be able to sit down and start using Pr CC without much hassle. Especially if they set the keyboard shortcuts to what they are used to. That experienced editor may may just start reading or watching tutorials when they come up against a problem that think they should be able to solve. Most of the time they find it, I believe. And when they don't they seem to like raising a ruckus on this forum. But notice that most of them are asking for something that they searched diligently for first.

Now, let's look at the new Adobe user. The ones who pay $50/month or less and get every product. All of a sudden we are seeing transfers from iMovie and Windows Movie Maker. Those people who should possibly be using Premiere Elements, which, for reasons I can't pretend to understand, are not part of the Creative Cloud. Those people are used to a program that leads them through the process.

I have occasionally used Windows Movie Maker in order to help some users on this forum. It certainly didn't require that I study it first. My training in editing, almost all of which came from this forum and the Creative Cow and Curt Wrigley, just allowed me to start right in and get to work. But if I had been looking for a sequence instead of a timeline, I would never have gotten past step one. Although, actually, if you import assets into Movie Maker they automatically get placed on a timeline/sequence and I don't even see the name of the thing at all. But I digress.

It is those people that I think we need to help. And I think that the right place to start is the Eagle project. I believe it is the best piece of learning material Adobe has ever put together for a beginner. It is short, and sweet, and produces a specific result.

If we all pointed in the same general direction, I think it would be more helpful than pointing to the Pr FAQ for many people. That's all I am really trying to say. Let's band together a bit, point in the same direction, and maybe things will be better for a lot more people.

http://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/learn/start/premiere.html

http://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/learn/_/img/start/premiere/start_premiere_hero.png

• 11. Re: Premiere Timeline Problem
                              joe bloe premiere Level 5

Jeez... what have we started here?

• 12. Re: Premiere Timeline Problem
                                Jim_Simon Level 8

I think Craig, you and I and many others around here may be the exception, not the rule.

Time to change that.

notice that most of them are asking for something that they searched diligently for first.

I'm actually noticing quite the opposite.

the right place to start is the Eagle project.

It is a very good link.  Definitely adding that one to my arsenal.

But I'd argue the 'right' place for new users to start is with the PDF help file.  It would be better if that was included on the user's hard drive by default with installation, and was the only thing that came up when hitting F1 (Kevin?), but with software this complex, I'm sorry but there's just no excuse for not doing your homework, finding that PDF and reading it before you start using Premiere Pro, especially for untrained new users.

• 13. Re: Premiere Timeline Problem
                                  Our man Flint Level 1

Hi Geoff,

If you found the first and spot on relivant answer to this thread, could you click the YES to the 'Was this helpful' button?

(Sadly, this might be falling on deaf ears by now as my inbox keeps filling up with a conversation, although on the same subject, the 'tangent' isn't helpful to the first person who posted and therefore it could have taken place in private emails).

I'm now doing what any worthy cyberman would do ... Delete! ... Delete! ... Delete!

• 14. Re: Premiere Timeline Problem
                                    Lugada

Happened to me .If you are a creative cloud subscriber you need to sign in. At the very bottom left you will find a button that says  sync settings . Sign in and that should be fine .

• 15. Re: Premiere Timeline Problem
                                      lindalorings

I am having this same problem. I have tried signing in to sync settings and nothing. what is going on is my timeline has no video or audio track in it. it says "timeline (no sequences)" also the project window says "project (no sequences)". when I drag and drop into either my curser turns into a circle with a line through it. what should I do. Premier is doing this to all of my projects

• 16. Re: Premiere Timeline Problem
                                        Mark Mapes Adobe Employee

What exactly are you dragging and dropping? And from where? The Project panel? The Media Browser?

And exactly what version of Premiere Pro do you have? Please report the complete version as shown in the About box, like "7.2.2" (which is the current release).

A screenshot of your whole Premiere window might help.

• 17. Re: Premiere Timeline Problem
                                          jeovanyc19455985

Try clicking and changing the "V1" thing left of the lock icon on each track on the timeline... I had this issue and this solved it for whatever reason....

1.png