5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 18, 2013 6:45 AM by Szalam

Animate balloon pop/burst

Curly321

Okay I've drawn a solid black balloon in AI and what to animate it popping/bursting in AE. I'm not sure what the best way to tackle this is. I have had a search for a tutorial on the web but haven't been able to find anything.

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Animate balloon pop/burst
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Draw the different states of the balloon and animate between them? There is no "Pop Balloon" effect. You could use distort effects, animate scaling and position, and several other things, but it all really depends on the exact look you're trying for.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Animate balloon pop/burst
            Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Bulge OR Mesh warp, or any other distort effect you like, Pre-compose, then Shatter. set extrusing to 0 and try different shapes for the pieces or create your own custom shatter map. EZ as pie.

• 3. Re: Animate balloon pop/burst
              Dave LaRonde Level 6

How real do you want it to look?  If you shoot a balloon getting pricked by a pin, you see that it's gone in... oh, about a frame.  Two if you really want to stretch it.  You might be better off just drawing a "ballon in the process of bursting" frame and infer that it's done with a balloon pop sound effect.

• 4. Re: Animate balloon pop/burst
                Curly321 Level 1

Thank you to all of you for your advice. I didn't need the balloon to be too realistic so I ended up drawing the stages of the balloon pop and animated that!

Any advice on how to animate the string, when the balloon pops and the string curves?? Or like when a frame attached to string bounces in from the top of screen and the sting is loose and then tight again etc. Hope this make some sort of sense!

Thanks for your adice. Much appreciated.

• 5. Re: Animate balloon pop/burst
                  Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

How did you create the string?

If it's a stroked mask path or shape layer, you can simply animate the path.

If not, the Puppet Tool would be a good choice.

Alternately, there is a script out there that you can use to connect two points together that might do the trick.