14 Replies Latest reply on Sep 9, 2013 12:26 PM by SteveH59

Question about Audio Settings

SteveH59 Level 1

Hello

In Export Settings (Audio) I am setting the properties of an .MOV file. The file has properties that include 128kbps - what does that refer to, please and where would I set that in Export Settings (Audio)?

I am also not sure about the Audio Codec. Would that be 'Uncompressed' or 'Apple Lossless'?

The file sounds good enough without setting anything for 128kbps (not that I would know where to set that), and I have left the Audio Codec as 'Uncompressed'.

Thank you!

Steve

• 1. Re: Question about Audio Settings
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Everything depends on how you plan to use the audio you're exporting, Steve.

Where do you plan to display or use this video?

And can you confirm that you're trying to output a video file and not an audio only file?

• 2. Re: Question about Audio Settings
            SteveH59 Level 1

Hello Steve

Thanks for your file.

Yes, the audio file is part of a movie file.

The movie will be burnt onto DVD and used on TV DVD players.

Thanks!

Steve

• 3. Re: Question about Audio Settings
              SteveH59 Level 1

Hello ATR

Your reply seems to have been deleted by the forum moderators.

Steve

• 4. Re: Question about Audio Settings
                SteveH59 Level 1

Hello ATR

I can see it in my inbox, though.

I am referring to Premiere Elements 11 Publish+Share/Computer/QuickTime.

Thanks for the great link - I have earmarked it.

These are the audio settings (please see attached).

Steve

MediaInfo_Audio.jpg

• 5. Re: Question about Audio Settings

If you are going to output your video for a DVD, why are you using the MOV output?

You can use Publish & Share/Disc to output a DVD directly from Premiere Elements.

or you can use Publish & Share/Computer/MPEG with the DVD preset to output an optimized, DVD-ready MPEG that will load into any DVD authoring program.

• 6. Re: Question about Audio Settings
                    SteveH59 Level 1

Hello Steve

Is it not advisable to use .MOV - it looks OK in Quick Time on my desktop.

What I was going to do was edit the file in Elements 11 and then save it to a disk folder. Then, in ImgBurn, I was going to put it on a DVD.

Thanks again.

Steve

• 7. Re: Question about Audio Settings

You can do that -- but then it's not a DVD and it won't play in your DVD player.

DVD players are .VOB files, a version of MPEG2s. DVD authoring programs, as well as Premiere Elements, outputs this format when you create a DVD from them.

Simply burning a file to a DVD doesn't make it a playable DVD.

• 8. Re: Question about Audio Settings
                        SteveH59 Level 1

Hello Steve

Oh, I didn't know that.

I might try your suggestion:

you can use Publish & Share/Computer/MPEG with the DVD preset to output an optimized, DVD-ready MPEG that will load into any DVD authoring program.

...then save the file and burn to a DVD through ImgBurn. Does that sound right.

I can still edit the original file in Elements 11 as a .mov file though, can't I, before I use Publish & Share/Computer/MPEG?

Cheers

• 9. Re: Question about Audio Settings
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

SteveH59

No. My post was not deleted by any of the forum moderators. No hot stuff. That was me who deleted since I saw that Steve Grisetti had already replied, and I did not want to interfere with the communication between the two of you.

I did not keep a copy of that post that I deleted. Since you found the post of interest, if I get a copy of it in my email, I will do a copy/paste into this thread.

My recollection is that the post

a. had a link to an article on Audio Bitrate

http://lifehacker.com/5810575/does-bitrate-really-make-a-difference-in-my-music

b. mentioned how to set Bitrate Settings for Publish+Share/Computer/Audio under the Advanced Button/Audio Tab of the preset selected

c. mentioned about Publish+Share/Computer/QuickTime, although I did not find a set for audio bitrate, I found that with AAC codec, the end product did have a bitrate of 128 kbps.

When dealing with this bitrate units, keep in mind that Kbps and kbps are the same kilobits per second. If you had KBps, that would be kilobytes per second.

Sorry for the confusion that I created in trying to avoid confusion.

I am not clear on why you are not going from Timeline to Publish+Share/Disc/DVD disc instead of seeking a QuickTime file and then your DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc.

Please supply more details if you decide you need more information on this.

Thanks.

ATR

Add On...I did not see the exchange of posts between you and SG until after I posted this post.

• 10. Re: Question about Audio Settings
                            SteveH59 Level 1

Hello ATR

Thanks again for your message.

I think you are sying go for what Steve is suggesting, namely:

"you can use Publish & Share/Computer/MPEG with the DVD preset to output an optimized, DVD-ready MPEG that will load into any DVD authoring program".

Steve

• 11. Re: Question about Audio Settings

But you can't just burn an MPEG to a DVD and have it play on a DVD either.

You must use Publish & Share/Disc/DVD to output a playable DVD from Premiere Elements.

• 12. Re: Question about Audio Settings
                                SteveH59 Level 1

Or I can save the file to a DVD folder on my hard drive, can't I, and then use something like ImgBurn to actually put the file on a DVD. I think I have done something similar before and it worked on the TV DVD player?

• 13. Re: Question about Audio Settings
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

SteveH59

Thanks for asking for the clarification.

My suggestion:

Publish+Share/Disc/DVD disc, using the preset that represents your project..

DVD-VIDEO standard on DVD disc (NTSC_Dolby DVD or PAL counterpart)

or

DVD-VIDEO widescreen on DVD disc (NTSC_Widescreen_Dolby DVD or PAL counterpart)

I reserve burn to folder for if and when burn to disc does not work...then

Publish+Share/Disc/DVD burn to Folder (4.7 GB) or Folder (8.5 GB)

Then take the VIDEO_TS Folder from that saved folder and get it to DVD-VIDEO standard on DVD disc or DVD-VIDEO widescreen on DVD disc using the 3rd party ImgBurn program.

http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/burn_dvd_folder_imgburn.cfm

But that is your preference.

ATR

• 14. Re: Question about Audio Settings
                                    SteveH59 Level 1

Hello Steve and ATR

I think I can see the consensus now.

I have saved all your messages and will try them over the next few hours.

I am not quite sure what to say, but you have both been extremely helpful.

I was probably too focused on Quick Time and Quick Time files and that may explain why the DVDs I have done are only almost fine (some colours, red especially, seems to 'run' in some clips - a bit like a watercolour painting - and sometimes the clips are 'shaky'.

Hopefully with the kind help of both of you, the clip quality will improve.

Once again, a big thanks you to both.

Steve