15 Replies Latest reply on Sep 9, 2013 9:26 AM by Steve Werner

cs4 and cs5

Terri@Ametek Level 1

How do I download cs4 and cs5 when the suite I received is for cs6?

• 1. Re: cs4 and cs5
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

You don't.

That said, if you already have a license for CS4 and/or CS5 please let

us know and we might be able to help.

• 2. Re: cs4 and cs5
            Fede Gianni Level 3

you don't need cs4 or cs5 anymore

• 3. Re: cs4 and cs5

That may or may not be true.

The OP may be new to this and needs to work with people on CS4 or CS5.

• 4. Re: cs4 and cs5
                Terri@Ametek Level 1

I only have cs 3 and will need to open cs 4 and cs 5 docs and manuals.

Do I need cs 4 and cs 5 installed for this?

Will I be able to open a cs 5 manual from another site if I down load cs6

• 5. Re: cs4 and cs5

You need to be more clear. Buying CS6 does not give you access to

anything else.

But, CS6 should be able to open files from any earlier version of InDesign.

• 6. Re: cs4 and cs5
                    Fede Gianni Level 3

yeah, may not, but in this case, ID can open and save CS4 and CS5.

• 7. Re: cs4 and cs5
                      Terri@Ametek Level 1

My IT department sent me a creative suite upgrade which I am supposed to down load myself.  When I opened it, the upgrade was for cs6.  I thought I would need cs 4 and 5 befor I loaded cs6?  I have multiple manuals need to be taken into this new cs6 from cs3.  I should be abe to open them in cs6 even if I dont have cs4 and cs5 installed.  I am correct on that? 

ALSO If I have a cs5 manual sent to me will I be able to open it in cs6 with not ever having cs 5 on my computer?

• 8. Re: cs4 and cs5
                        Terri@Ametek Level 1

you need to be more specific in your answers.

I already posted I do not have cs 4 and cs 5 installed and I don't know

what ID means

[personal info deleted by moderator]

• 9. Re: cs4 and cs5

CS6 should be able to open those files, yes.

• 10. Re: cs4 and cs5

We are all volunteers here. It is YOU that needs to be a bit more

familiar with what you're doing and more specific in what you need to know.

ID is InDesign

• 11. Re: cs4 and cs5
                              Fede Gianni Level 3

Sorry, ID means InDesign (at least in this forum).

• 12. Re: cs4 and cs5
                                Terri@Ametek Level 1

Sorry to inconvenience you. I will try to go directly through Adobe help

desk next time.

I am unexperienced at downloading software and was trying to get help.

That's what IT departments are for and they have failed me as well.

Please end the discussion and except my apology.

[personal inforemoved by moderator]

• 13. Re: cs4 and cs5
                                  Fede Gianni Level 3

don't worry, Bob is a little grumpy but knows a lot. if your question is precise the answer will help you. in this case your problem was opening old files, NOT downloading old versions.

come again any time you need!

• 14. Re: cs4 and cs5
                                    Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Terri,

Your CS6 upgrade may or may not work from CS3 -- I'm not sure if there were multiple upgrade versions depending on the version from which you wish to upgrade. If you are successful, that's great. CS6 should open any InDesign files created in any version up to CS6.

There are, however, a few caveats you should be aware of. First, if you need to collaborate with a user working with an earlier version, Working in CS6 may be a problem. FIles saved in CS6 can only be opened again in CS6 or the new CC version. To go backward you would have to export from CS6 to .idml format, which will open in any version from CS4 forward, but may lose some content if you use a feature of CS6 that didn't exist in the older version, and the text may reflow due to differences in the text engines from version to version. To go all the way back from CS6 to CS3 you MUST have CS4 installed to open the .idml and re-export as .inx, so it would be better for those files to simply leave CS3 on the system and work in CS3 if that is the version required. In any case, do not uninstall CS3 after installing any newer version, or you will delete some common files that are required by the new versiona nd you'll wind up having to reinstall it.

The second, and very important, caveat, is that some legacy files (files from previous versions) develop problems when opened directly in CS6 and are resaved to convert them. It doesn't always happen, but ther's no way to look a t a file and say it will or won't, and often the trouble doesn't show up until a lot of editing has been done. Never overwrite the old version in case you need to go back to it, and if possible (in you case, for your CS3 files), export the files to .inx or .idml and open that in CS6 instead. For files that you cannot export to .idml (CS4 and CS5, 5.5, because you don't have those versions), the next best thing is to open them directly in CS6, then immediately export to .idml, open that and save as .indd with a new name.

• 15. Re: cs4 and cs5
                                      Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Trust me: You're receive FAR better answers here than from the Adobe Help desk which is staffed by people only prepared to give a small number of "canned" answers. Don't let Bob's grumpiness or terseness put you off. We really do want to help.