12 Replies Latest reply on Aug 20, 2014 10:30 AM by Josh_Corey

content filled out from the ipad won't show on PC/laptop when open it?

Julie BostonHeart

I’ve found you from Adobe forum and would ask if you can help me out with the prob I’m facing.

I created forms from online-formscentral and distributed by saving as PDF form and send it via email to end users. BUT, I have found that when open the form receiving from email in my iPad and fill out a form on my iPad (necessary for end users  to be able to sign electronically on their iPads). After completed filling out the form send it back, I can't see any of the content on my laptop other than the signature. All content is visible on the iPad using Adobe Reader (whether it was entered on an iPad or entered on a laptop).

Would you please help me out how to fix this issue. Again, input data in the fields shown in iPad but not in PC? does this issue have to do anything with different OS system?

Thank you very much,

Sincerely,

-VanN

• 1. Re: content filled out from the ipad won't show on PC/laptop when open it?
          Josh_Corey Adobe Employee

Hi;

Usually the cause of such an issue is form fillers using something other than Adobe Reader or Adobe Acrobat (on the iPad this would probably be Preview or another 3rd party PDF viewer) to fill out and save the form.

A question - when you say "after completed filling out the form send it back" you mean that the user is filling out the PDF and then emailing that PDF back to you (as opposed to clicking Submit to submit the data to FormsCentral to be viewed in the View Responses tab)? 

FormsCentral PDF's don't support signatures, how do you have a signature field in the PDF and how are users siging the PDF?  It could be related to that signature, I'll have to investigate.

You can send me a PDF this happened with (one you recieved back with signature and can't see responses in) to jcorey@adobe.com and I will take a look.

Thanks,

Josh

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: content filled out from the ipad won't show on PC/laptop when open it?
            RileyConservation

Did you by chance ever resolve this iPad input issue with FormCentral?  We are having the same issue.

Kind regards,

Kevin

• 3. Re: content filled out from the ipad won't show on PC/laptop when open it?

Hi Kevin, there is not an input issue on the iPad for FormsCentral PDF forms using Adobe Reader, or for FormsCentral web forms.  Are you using Adobe Reader on the iPad to fill out the forms and you are seeing issues?

As noted in my response above, the usual cause of customers feeling they see issues here comes from the form being filled out by something other than Adobe Reader, using Adobe Reader everything should work great.

Thanks,

Josh

• 4. Re: content filled out from the ipad won't show on PC/laptop when open it?
                RileyConservation Level 1

I started my test by sending out a standard "Contact Us" template from the FormCentral library of forms.

This worked like a charm.  Each iPad could open and fill out the form using PDF Expert 5 and when they clicked "Submit" their responses showed up neatly organized in a table at FormCentral.

Next I created a custom form starting from the blank template in the FormCentral library.

The iPads worked fine to fill out the forms as before, we all received the "Form Successfully Submitted" message, however no responses show up in the table.  We used the same PDF form opened in Acrobat Pro on our desktop, and it performed flawlessly there.

Next I tried altering the "Contact Us" form I had tried (successfully) earlier by adding an image field. Using the iPad with the altered form worked fine from both the iPad (PDF Expert) and the desktop (Acrobat Pro).

Lastly I tried further modifications to that very same "Contact Us" form, essentially changing it into the Object Condition Report we are hoping to create/distribute.  This form now exhibits the same problem, works from the desktop (results appear in the table at FormCentral) but fails to deliver any results from the iPads even though we receive the "Form Successfully Submitted" message.

Any thoughts on what else I can try would be much appreciated.

• 5. Re: content filled out from the ipad won't show on PC/laptop when open it?

This is very simple, use Adobe Reader on the iPad, do not use PDF Expert.  That is what both previous responses have stated as well. Download and install the Free Adobe Reader for iPad and use that to fill out and submit the forms.

Only Adobe Reader is supported and will work correctly to fill out an Adobe FormsCentral PDF form, other PDF viewers do not support all of the features in a FormsCentral PDF form.

Thanks,

Josh

• 6. Re: content filled out from the ipad won't show on PC/laptop when open it?

I'm all for keeping things simple, believe me.  We unfortunately need the ability to add and mark up images, thus the necessity of PDF Expert.

PDF Expert works perfectly with FormCentral templates, but curiously not with forms created with the FormBuilder from scratch.

Any further thoughts?

• 7. Re: content filled out from the ipad won't show on PC/laptop when open it?

No, sorry, none other than that we only support Adobe Reader for filling out the FormsCentral forms.  The Templates must just not expose features that PDF Expert isn't able to support.  Have you tried Adobe Reader to see if it supports adding markup images?   You might want to submit feedback to Adobe Reader for iOS in the forums to request any feature it is lacking for you: The specified item was not found.

Thanks,

Josh

• 8. Re: content filled out from the ipad won't show on PC/laptop when open it?

I just downloaded Adobe Reader to try our tests with it.  Fingers crossed.

• 9. Re: content filled out from the ipad won't show on PC/laptop when open it?
                          GerhardEloff

HI

I created a simple form in Adobe Acrobat Pro XI.  The form had three mandatory fields, two of which are normal text fields and one date and time field.  All the other fields on the form are text fields that can be filled in as required.  When I complete the form on the pc and email it to users on pc's and iPads, they're able to see the completed form.  However when I complete the same form on the iPad using the latest Adobe reader and email it to users, they're unable to open or view the form on pc's.  The form does not come through as an attachment either.  I can view the iPad completed form on the iPad.

Any advice on how to resolve this?

Thank you

• 10. Re: content filled out from the ipad won't show on PC/laptop when open it?

As long as you are using the Free Adobe Reader for iOS then the form being filled out in Adobe Reader should be fine and assuming you are indeed using Adobe Reader it sounds like there might be some issue with the way it is being sent, you might try something simple like uploading the completed PDF to Acrobat.com (which you can do through Adobe Reader) or Dropbox and downloading that on a PC.  If you can "deliver" the PDF in a different way you can rule out the email application doing something unexpected.

The workflow you describe should be fine, just triple check that you indeed are opening the PDF in Adobe Reader on the iPad and filling it out in Reader, no other PDF viewer on the iPad will work correctly filling out a FormsCentral form.

Thanks,

Josh

• 11. Re: content filled out from the ipad won't show on PC/laptop when open it?
                              GerhardEloff Level 1

Hi Josh

I've read on some other topics regarding similar complaints that there is an issue with iOS7 and that it "corrupts" attachments in many instances.

Possible solution was to ensure that there are no hyperlinked text in the signature of the email.  Which mine does not have.

Any thoughts on this?

• 12. Re: content filled out from the ipad won't show on PC/laptop when open it?

I don't, once the PDF leaves Adobe Reader we don't have any control and my knowledge of these issues on iOS is simply that they exist, I don't have any solution.  You might try installing another mail program instead of using the Mail on the iPad, or uploading to a file storage such as Acrobat.com or Dropbox and then emailing or sharing the PDF from there.

Thanks,

Josh