3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 10, 2013 7:05 AM by Rick Gerard

How do I multiply an image and animate it in 3d space to create a shape?

rashseag

My boss has a small clip he would like me to make. He wants me to take an image (Its just a square image) and have it start in the center of the screen, and as it scales down and moves to one of the bottom corners (I've already got that part done) the image multiplies and creates a seamless circular/oval band in 3D space. He also wants this done with another image, but for this other image (also simply a square) to create a sphere as it multiplies.

Is there an easier way to do this, or am I going to have to place, manipulate and animate each individual copy of the square image to create a solid band?

I originally posted this question here: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1056968

Because what I am trying to do is similar to what she was able to do with the letters in this thread.

Any help, tips or pointers anyone could give me would be great.

• 1. Re: How do I multiply an image and animate it in 3d space to create a shape?
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I don't quite understand what you're wanting to happen. I get the part about something scaling down and moving - that's very simple. I don't understand what you mean by multiplying and creating a seamless oval band in 3d space. Are you just suggesting that a bunch of clones should appear and form themselves into a shape that's seperate from the image that's moved to the bottom corner? Some storyboard images or sketches might be helpful here.

• 2. Re: How do I multiply an image and animate it in 3d space to create a shape?
            rashseag Level 1

Yes, thats exactly it. The image that scales down and moves to the side is separate, I've already got that done. But was hoping for that image to also multiply and create the shape that will now be in the middle of the screen. I've tried working with echo effect and that gets me the shape but it is not as seamless as I was hoping, and kinda just looks crummy.

• 3. Re: How do I multiply an image and animate it in 3d space to create a shape?
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Try searching aeEnhancers for a layer distributor script. That will automate the process of distributing layers in a sphere. Use that to set your final position then just work backwards. I don't remember exactly where the script is but I know it's out there.

Another option would be to create a grid of these images where you animate the layers from the center to their position a grid of flat images. Nest that pre-comp in your main comp and apply CC Sphere.

You could also write an expression that bases the layer's position relative to the index value of the layer. Duplicate the layer and the position is taken from the layer above and the layer width or height is added to distribute the layers. Base the move on the value over time and the layer's in and out point or layer markers. Now just arrange the layers in the timeline and you have an automated grid.