4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 9, 2013 6:34 PM by AntoineGRA

[WORKFLOW] Proper audio tracks management ?

AntoineGRA

Hi everybody,
      I'm stuck on a tricky workflow question.

Lets say I've got a short movie which consist of a simple dialogue scene :
      It's shot with one camera : 1 track of video + 1 stereo audio track (will only be used for sync)
      audio recorded on an external audio device : 3 mono tracks (1 boom + 2 lav mics).

I would like to :
           1* import everything in PPro and sync video+audio for all my takes (= 1video+1stereo+3mono tracks for each clip)
           2* let my editor make the cut without having to drag a bunch of audio tracks around (= 1video+1stereo)
           3* send audio to Audition (or export OMF) and get all my tracks back, with sync preserved (= back to
      1video+1stereo+3mono tracks for each clip)

Is this workflow possible ?

Precise questions :
           When I'm syncing, should I nest or merge my synced tracks ?
                > Nesting give me a stereo mixdown to edit (that's nice), but how can I "unnest" my audio tracks for mixing ?
                > Merging gives a clip with a bunch of tracks, how can I hide some for my editor to work ?

Other solution : could it be possible to let the editor work with the scratch stereo sound and then unlink/replace with a multrack audio file ?

Thanks for any input on this !

• 1. Re: [WORKFLOW] Proper audio tracks management ?
          shooternz Level 6

It's shot with one camera : 1 track of video + 1 stereo audio track(will only be used for sync)

audio recorded on an external audio device : 3 mono tracks (1 boom + 2 lav mics).

This part becomes easier if you have matching timecode or know the offsets at least.

I would edit using the off camera audio only ...then after edit lock..I would lay in audio tracks from external recorder ( using TC matching).  Do not unlink original audio at any time.

(The above is fairly standard practice and simple.)

Then an OMF Export to your audio suite.

I would not lay too many  fx etc in the video edit and allow the sound editor designer to do this in an audio suite to video.

• 2. Re: [WORKFLOW] Proper audio tracks management ?
            AntoineGRA Level 1

It's shot with one camera : 1 track of video + 1 stereo audio track(will only be used for sync)

This part becomes easier if you have matching timecode or know the offsets at least.

Syncing is actually the easy part, even with DLSR : you can use a timecoded slate, PluralEye (or even the new audio sync in PPro CC).

I would edit using the off camera audio only ...then after edit lock..I would lay in audio tracks from external recorder ( using TC matching).  Do not unlink original audio at any time.

(The above is fairly standard practice and simple.)

It makes sense.

But being stuck to edit with bad scratch audio and have to rebuild a synced sequence at the end of my project... :-(

Adobe provides us with great option to sync our video and audio BEFORE we begin editing.

That's because syncing afterward is maddening :

Let's say my dialogue scene is one long continuous take for each actor (= "actor_A.mov" and "actor_B.mov").

I will end up using maybe 10 instances of each file or more (one for each sentence of the dialogue),

and I will have to sync my audio tracks to every single piece, by hand !

Which would take hours...

It's 2013, we need an elegant workflow !

• 3. Re: [WORKFLOW] Proper audio tracks management ?
              shooternz Level 6

The elegant and efficient workflow is to make an edit then work with only the material you need to for post prooduction...Audio, Color correction and FX.

It is really time consuming and inefficient to work with a lot of material that never makes the cut no matter what year it is.

I will end up using maybe 10 instances of each file or more (one for each sentence of the dialogue),

Which would take hours..

I dont understand that... even though I read your example!

...and..

3* send audio to Audition (or export OMF) and get all my tracks back, with sync preserved (= back to 1video+1stereo+3mono tracks for each clip)

Why do you want it back?  Let the sound department do their job and contribute to the movie.

• 4. Re: [WORKFLOW] Proper audio tracks management ?
                AntoineGRA Level 1

Which would take hours..

Using only two physical .mov file, my final sequence will look like this :

ppro.png

If I have to sync my media at this point, I will have to manually sync for each individual cut. Here we have 8 clips instances = 8 syncing to do !

My point is that if I sync before editing, no matter how many cuts I make in my media and where I move it, I won't have to do it again.

3* send audio to Audition (or export OMF) and get all my tracks back, with sync preserved (= back to 1video+1stereo+3mono tracks for each clip)

Why do you want it back?  Let the sound department do their job and contribute to the movie.

What I want to give to the sound departement is a project/an OMF with the proper medias linked and synced, that's why I need my tracks back in my sequence.

If these tracks are lost in nested sequences or else, my export will only get give unusable mixdowns to the sound departement.

(english is not my native language, so I think this point could be misunderstood which I apologize for ^^)