5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 9, 2008 12:00 PM by Newsgroup_User

Auto-indent failure after a \ line continuation...

Level 7
      Just ran into a weird one - I used a \ as a line continuation for a long
      line of code, and because of that, ALL the code from that point to the end
      of the script refused to auto-indent. There were no errors reported, and
      the code functions exactly as it's supposed to, but it's really hard to read
      without the indenting. Anyone ever have this problem before? I mean, I'm
      used to the continued part of the line after the \ not auto-indenting, but
      I'm talking about hundreds of lines of code after this point, many of them
      in seprate handlers altogether. Usually, that only happens if you're
      missing an "end if" or something somewhere, but in that case, you'd also
      notice that the code doesn't work or you get error messages, which didn't
      happen. In fact, if I combine the long line into one without using the \,
      it auto-indents properly. (But of course, more than half of the line goes
      off the edge of the script window, which is annoying to edit.) I tried
      turning on and off the auto-indent feature, but it has no effect. Nor does
      any amount of hitting Ctrl-Enter. Save/Quit/Reload doesn't help either. I
      thought maybe I'd reached some limit on the number of lines the script
      editor can handle, but this one is only about 600+ lines long, and I have
      another that's 1000+ in the same movie that has no problems. (And I've gone
      way over those numbers in other projects.)

• 1. Re: Auto-indent failure after a \ line continuation...
          McFazstp Level 1
          I find I can fix something like that if I select from the end of the line to the next and hit enter to replace the line feed. I continue down the script until it corrects itself. I've had a lot of problems with the continuation symbol and am wary about using it for that reason. One problem that really messes up a script is adding a new line to a script with a continuation and having the indentation randomly corrupted even adding spaces within a line of script. I really hope Adobe have done an overhaul of the script editor for the next version.

• 2. Re: Auto-indent failure after a \ line continuation...
            hwa-jun yu
            Try inserting RETURN (Enter) at the end of the line that arouses this problem.
            I usually do this whenever auto-indent (TAB key) doesn't work.
            And if after inserting RETURN, it still doesn't auto-indent, I'll check the long codes for typing errors.
            • 3. Re: Auto-indent failure after a \ line continuation...
              Level 7
              > Try inserting RETURN (Enter) at the end of the line that arouses this
              > problem.
              > I usually do this whenever auto-indent (TAB key) doesn't work.
              > And if after inserting RETURN, it still doesn't auto-indent, I'll check
              > the
              > long codes for typing errors.

Yeah, there's no errors in the code, I've confirmed that several times.
              (Both by the fact that there are no error messages, and that the code
              functions exactly as it's supposed to.) Hitting Enter at the end of the
              line has no effect either, nor does Ctrl-Enter, which usually solves this
              sort of problem. The only way to fix it seems to be to get rid of the line
              continuation altogether and just make it all one long line. (Annoying,
              because there are three other nearly-identical long lines in the same
              handler of the same script, all of which have a continuation and all of
              which function perfectly.) I'm almost ready to file a bug-report on this,
              because there's absolutely nothing wrong with the code. If you really want
              to look at it, be my guest:

if sprite(393).locH < spr.locH + 60 and sprite(393).locH > spr.locH - 60 and
              \
              sprite(393).locV < spr.locV + 60 and sprite(393).locV > spr.locV - 60 then

"spr" is a property set on beginSprite to equal sprite(me.spriteNum). All
              it's doing is checking if the two sprites are near eachother. (And yes, I'm
              aware that this has a square rather than round area of effect, but a true
              distance formula takes far more calculation (and thus runs slower) with only
              a barely noticeable difference in behavior. Given that there can be dozens
              or even up to hundreds of sprites running this behavior at once, I went with
              the simpler calculation.)

• 4. Auto-indent failure after a \ line continuation...
                McFazstp Level 1
                I get the same indent problem pasting that line into a new script. Have you tried putting the continuation at the end of the first line rather than the start of the next?

if (sprite(393).locH < spr.locH + 60) and (sprite(393).locH > spr.locH - 60) and \
                (sprite(393).locV < spr.locV + 60) and (sprite(393).locV > spr.locV - 60) then

• 5. Re: Auto-indent failure after a \ line continuation...
                  Level 7
                  >I get the same indent problem pasting that line into a new script. Have you
                  > tried putting the indent at the end of the first line rather than the
                  > start of
                  > the next?
                  >
                  > if (sprite(393).locH < spr.locH + 60) and (sprite(393).locH > spr.locH -
                  > 60)
                  > and \
                  > (sprite(393).locV < spr.locV + 60) and (sprite(393).locV > spr.locV - 60)
                  > then

Hmm, Usenet's auto-linebreaks are making this confusing. In my original
                  example, there wasn't supposed to be a return after the "and" and before the
                  "\". Likewise, I assume there isn't supposed to be one before the "and".
                  At any rate, it doesn't indent properly either way. Adding the parentheses
                  didn't make a difference either. I've now corrected the problem simply by
                  copying the entire script into Notepad, deleting the script member and
                  creating a new one, and then pasting the the exact same script back into it,
                  unchanged. No idea what caused the problem still, but at least it's solved
                  this time. Weird.