6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 10, 2013 12:24 PM by VideoGearHead

Premiere CS5 - Project Monitor playback is jerky after resintall of operating system and CS5

VideoGearHead Level 1

PROBLEM: Premiere CS5 - Project Monitor playback is jerky

This had NOT been an issue prior to reinstalling the operating system and all software.  I have read numerous articles on the forums and have tried everything I can find...with no results.

STEPS TAKEN TO RESOLVE THE PROBLEM:

I have scoured the articles here http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/search/index.cfm?loc=en_us&term=choppy%20video&cat=support&pr oduct=premierepro and others at Cretive Cow

I have installed all updates for CS5 Master Collection, immediately following a fresh install of the operating system and SC5 Master Collection.

I have ensured that sequence settings match resolution and frame rates of footage - the problem persists.

I have tested by importing both standard def AVI files created from tape and high def SONY MP4 files - the problem persists.

I have ensured the latest Video drivers are installed (clean installation selected, so that the Windows default would be removed) - the problem persists.

I have tried the 3D settings in NVIDIA control panel | Program Settings tab... selected Adobe Premiere Pro from the drop down menu | and chaged 'Multi-display/mixed-GPU acceleration from the value of 'Multiple Display performance' to the value of 'single display performance'; although, I ran two monitors before using this latest NVIDIA video driver and I didn't experience this jerky footage issue - the problem persisted after affecting that change; so, I switched it back. 

Since I have 96 GB of RAM, I don't use a pagefile.  A zero MB page file is the same setting I had prior to rebuilding the C:  Regardless of whether I have a pagefile or not, the problem persists.

I have tried creating a fresh user profile, where the user profile is created on the C: drive by default; and, where I left it there on C: to test for the jerky playback in a new PrPR project  - the problem persists.

Regarding the C: (system drive) and why I reinstalled everything, it had become unstable and was locking up.  I ran DISK ERROR CHECKING with the FIX parameter and the system was still locking up on me.  Keep in mind that the System drive is a solid state drive.  Anyhow, I had no choice but to dive in and reinstall everything.  I wiped the system partition of the SSD using quick format and started installing the operating system.  Now, I've read the CLAIM that this cuases performance issues; but, the only place I see issues is in the video monitor playback in PrPr.  Everything else - Office applications...printing...browsing the Internet...works just fine, everything is responsive, whereas, I couldn't do ANYTHING with it before.

SYSTEM CONFIGURATION:

The Operating system and all software is installed on C:

All data files and most profile related folders are stored on D:

C:\ (one Intel Solid State Drive - SYSTEM DRIVE)  Used Space: 57.5 GB  Free Space: 388 GB

D:\ (four Western Digital 2TB drives in an on-board INTEL hardware RAID5 array & hotswapable backplane) used space: 1.28 TB Free space: 4.16TB

Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 VERSION: 5.0.3 (005 (MC: 218798))

Operating System    Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate Version    6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601

System Manufacturer    Intel Corporation

System Model    S5520SC

System Type    x64-based PC

Video    NVIDIA Quadro FX 4800 driver v.320.78

Display        Dell 27" LCD (DisplayPort)

Display        Dell 27" LCD (DisplayPort)

Processor    Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU           X5680  @ 3.33GHz, 3326 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s)

Processor    Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU           X5680  @ 3.33GHz, 3326 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s)

Installed Physical Memory (RAM)    96.0 GB

Page File Space    0 bytes

PREMIERE PRO CS5 SETTINGS:

Monitor PLAYBACK RESOLUTION: Full

Monitor PAUSE RESOLUTION: Full

(regardless of this setting, the problem persists)

PREFERENCES:

MEMORY:

Installed RAM: 95.9 GB

RAM reserved for other applications: 10 GB

Optimize rendering for: Performance

(Changing this setting to 'memory' does not resolve the problem)

MEDIA:

Media Cache Files

X - Save Media Cached files next to originals when possible

(User Profile folders were relocated to D:\ from within the properties of each folder's 'LOCATION' tab.  This is the same configureation I had prior to rebuilding the C:\drive.  Testing under a new profile where it's allowed to stay on teh system drive does NOT resolve the problem.)

Media Cache Database

PROJECT SETTINGS:

Scratch Disks

Path: D:\Users...\My Documents\

General

Video Rendering and Playback: Mercury Playback Engine GPU Acceleration

(Setting Viideo Rendering and Playback to 'Sofware' does not resolve the problem)

If any of y'all have any other suggestions, I'm all ears.

Thank you.