4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 10, 2013 10:39 AM by osi wald1

managing keyframes and reusing animations

osi wald1

Hi, I'm working on a cutout TV series in AE cs6 using the puppet tool, and am missing a few features I am used to from flash:
      1 - is there a way to push forward (or backward) all the keyframes in all the layers from a certain point (like F5 does in falsh)?
      2 - if I want to re-use animation from other episodes. is there a way to import the animation without re-importing the source files (which are similar in all the files)?

• 1. Re: managing keyframes and reusing animations
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

1 - is there a way to push forward (or backward) all the keyframes in all the layers from a certain point (like F5 does in falsh)?

There are several scripts for this kind of thing on AEScripts and other such sites.

2 - if I want to re-use animation from other episodes. is there a way to import the animation without re-importing the source files (which are similar in all the files)?

You would have to render it to clips and use those or conversely save all keyframed or expression driven animation to animation presets and apply those to your otehr footage.

Mylenium

• 3. Re: managing keyframes and reusing animations
            osi wald1 Level 1

thank you very much.
            as to #1, I'm looking for a way to move groups of key frames without having to choose them - I have 80 layers or more, and if I wish to change the timing of the animation I need to select the keyframes in all the layers, through the whole time span - an action that is for some reason very hard for my computer.I also have to make sure that all the keyframes are visible, so I don't miss a rebellious keyframe.... I am looking for a script or action that would allow me to stand on the tiemline at point X, press a key and move all the keyframes from point X and right, one frame forward. Or... if this is not possible, a script that would allow me to select all the keyframes from point X and rignt without having to physically select them.

meanwhile I precomp the layers and then time re-map the comp, but I don't think this is a good solution - it's heavy for the rendering, and is very clumsy in general....

as to #2 - thank you, I will try the animation presets. I guess ti is similar to animation clips in maya....
            As you probably know, in flash you can copy a symbol from project A into project B. If the symbol from project A contains library objects with the same names as objects in project B, flash will ask you wather to replace the old objects with the new ones, or use the old objects. I guess that is because flash can't hold two objects with the same name in the library and After effects can. So I was looking for a simple solution like that. one that does not require you to keep the layers in the same order....

• 4. Re: managing keyframes and reusing animations
              osi wald1 Level 1

thank you very much.
              I will check out for scripts on AEScripts, and see if the animation presets can help me.
              it seens  a bit too compleceted in a project that was not prepared for working with animation presets (I would have to keep the order of the layers, and so on...).
              I might prefer to keep collecting and importing the compositions with the animation, and stay with the double data