10 Replies Latest reply on Sep 12, 2013 5:10 AM by Steve Grisetti

PE11: Burning DVD: bitrate ?

fredowww66 Level 1

I've noticed here that you can not choose a bitrate for burning to dvd format (that's also my experience).

But was is the bitrate than PE11 uses ?

I presume that's it variable so if footage is long bitrate will be lower ?

But wat is the bitrate if you have f.e. only 20 minutes footage ?

• 1. Re: PE11: Burning DVD: bitrate ?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

The bit rate for DVDs produced by Premiere Elements is 9.0 Mbps, which results in a DVD video that looks and sounds virtually as good as the original footage.

However, if you try to squeeze too much footage on a disk (Say, over 80 minutes on a DVD), the program will automatically reduce the bit rate to allow for the extra footage.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: PE11: Burning DVD: bitrate ?
            fredowww66 Level 1

Ok, thks for the clear answer.

• 3. Re: PE11: Burning DVD: bitrate ?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

SG and Fredowww66

SG please reconsider

The bit rate for DVDs produced by Premiere Elements is 9.0 Mbps, which results in a DVD video that looks and sounds virtually as good as the original footage.

The Premiere Elements burn to DVD dialog has always shown a stated maximum bitrate of 8.00 Mbps (megabits per second). And, if you explore the DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc produced, you will note that a variable bitrate was used so that the actual bitrate will vary and typically be less than 8.00 Mbps.

"....as good as the original footage" as a generalization?

Also,

However, if you try to squeeze too much footage on a disk (Say, over 80 minutes on a DVD), the program will automatically reduce the bit rate to allow for the extra footage.

I have observed that the above sentence applies only when "Fit Content to Available Space" is used. Then, when the space required exceeds the real disc capacity (4.38 for the 4.7 GB/120 min disc and 7.95 for the 8.5 GB/240 min disc), the program will lower the bitrate from 8.00 Mbps downward until it cannot lower the bitrate any lower to make the fit.

If necessary, I will post screenshots in support of the above.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: PE11: Burning DVD: bitrate ?
                fredowww66 Level 1

Two different answers ...

@AT Romano

If your answer is correct PE(11) is not dealing this good in my opinion.

If you have a short movie, like in my example f.e. 20 minutes it should be logic to use a fixed and high bitrate like 9Mbps. If it's fit on the dvd (ofcourse in DVD standardsformat) is it not logic to use lower and variable bitrates.

If it doesn't fit it has to use ofcourse lower and/or var bitrates.

• 5. Re: PE11: Burning DVD: bitrate ?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

fredowww66

Premiere Elements has always had a max bitrate setting of 8.00 Mbps in the burn dialog Quality area. This is not my answer or anyone else's answer. It is the program's answer.

correctbitrate.JPG

This max 8.00 Mbps is for DVD 4.7 GB/120 minutes as well as if you use DVD 8.5 GB/240 minutes. I can go into further details about this matter with and with "Fit Contents to available space".

The following is the MediaInfo video properties readout from a typical DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc that I just created for another purpose. I did not exceed the disc capacity so the bitrate max showed 8.00 Mbps in the Quality Area of the burn dialog before I hit the Burn button. Note the bitrate readout for the video stream of the DVD-VIDEO produced. The results are typical and are below 8.00 Mbps. Try it. MediaInfo for doing one of these readouts can be obtained from

http://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo

DVD Bitrate.JPG

The bitrate values given by MediaInfo are in units of Kbps (kilobits per second) and not Mbps (megabits per second). So, to put them into perspective:

7813 Kbps = 7.63 Mbps

6955 Kbps = 6.79 Mbps

Again, there is no possible max 9 Mbps bitrate possible for DVD-VIDEO produced by Premiere Elements (either shown in the burn dialog Quality Area for burn to disc nor in the end product in which you can see the use of a variable bitrate).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variable_bitrate

Please consider and prove it to yourself with the easy verification that I suggested.

Thank you.

ATR

• 6. Re: PE11: Burning DVD: bitrate ?

Indeed, 8 Mpbs is the standard max for DVDs.

• 7. Re: PE11: Burning DVD: bitrate ?

That's what I get for relying on my memory rather than double-checking my sources.

• 8. Re: PE11: Burning DVD: bitrate ?
                        fredowww66 Level 1

@AT Romano

SG corrected his answer so there is no doubt anymore that your answer is correct :-)

I started this question just because of the fact that I also feeled that a dvd version (dvd format not hd) of my original hd 1080p footage was not always the same imagequality ....

It stays a mystery to me why PE doesn't use free dvd space to get a higher and constant bitrate if footage is short.

Maybe Adobe can correct this in a new version 12

• 9. Re: PE11: Burning DVD: bitrate ?
                          jmklein Level 1

One possible reason for Adobe keeping the bitrate lower is because of player compatibility.  In my experience, some DVD's burned with higher bitrates, don't play in as many standalone DVD players, especially Sony players.  Pinnacle Studio burns at a higher bitrate that Adobe Encore's standard 8Mbps.  The Pinnacle DVD looks better, but doesn't play on as many players as the Encore burned DVD.  The more generic(cheaper) the DVD player, the more discs it will play.

• 10. Re: PE11: Burning DVD: bitrate ?

It could also be that 8 Mbps is all you need. Upping the bit rate would make for a larger file -- but it wouldn't be a higher quality video.

As ATR and I said, 8 Mbps is the standard DVD bitrate.