11 Replies Latest reply on Sep 10, 2013 7:30 AM by BobLevine

Running InDesign on Tablets

luca del carlo Level 1

I'm imagining what it would be like to work outside of the office and home on a highly portable tablet system. I've not owned an ipad or tablet in the past and must first ask whether it would be possible to run InDesign on either of these? I would prefer not to continue with laptops. Laptops space keyboard and screen uncomfortably close ergonomically, in my opinion, and it I suspect it might be nice to work in between a tablet with external keyboard on the go, and return home to the higher-end system with color correct monitor.

Are we years away from such tablets or is it possible to do right now, in some capacity? A dozen searches have produced answers only in the form of using InDesign for creating content viewable on tablets, not creating with InDesign on tablets.

The newest Samsung Galaxy 10 appears in a couple weeks, a formidable tablet, but whether it is capable of running InDesign is still question for me, with perhaps obvious answers for those who use tablets.

• 1. Re: Running InDesign on Tablets
          Michael Gianino Level 4

InDesign runs on Windows and Mac OS. I'm not sure if it will run in Android or iOS, but I'll bet that it doesn't at this time. I won't speculate as to the future, but mobile OS's have less power than desktop OS's, so I don't know if a mobile would be up to the task or not. Someone with actual experience will probably come along and tell you with more certainty than I can, but that's my 2¢.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Running InDesign on Tablets
            Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Powerful professional-level applications like InDesign and Photoshop can call out the maximum of desktop/laptop computers. No mobile device comes close to providing either the hardware or software capabilities to run them. I'm sure that in time this will all evolve.

• 3. Re: Running InDesign on Tablets
              luca del carlo Level 1

Progams such as InDesign and Photoshop are out then, sadly, but is it possible to use a word processor and perhaps a pdf reader/editor such as Acrobat on tablets (essentialy the pre and post stages of some workflows that pass through InDesign)?

The speed of technological development seemed to reach true science fiction levels over the past couple years, but this is disappointing.

Thank you.

• 4. Re: Running InDesign on Tablets
                BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Surface Pro with Windows 8 should work.

• 5. Re: Running InDesign on Tablets
                  John Mensinger Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Tablet (market) positioning has yet to account for this area of computing. The makers/sellers would be hard pressed to make a priority of it when it is really the consumer social/gaming market that drives their sales.

I have a tiny piece of Photoshop installed on my Android smart phone and tablet which runs well, but isn't incredibly useful in any professional sense.

You could run the Adobe apps under Windows 8 on a Microsoft Surface tablet, but I can't see any advantage to that over a notebook computer.

• 6. Re: Running InDesign on Tablets

The only advantage is that it's a tablet and contrary to some of the hate out there, it's really pretty nice. I don't own one yet but with DPS support coming with Win 8.1 I will get one.

• 7. Re: Running InDesign on Tablets
                      luca del carlo Level 1

Word processing and pdf editing cannot yet be done on other tablets, aside from the Surface Pro?

• 8. Re: Running InDesign on Tablets

Some measure of word processing can be done on just about every platform, I think.

It bears repeating that when you're considering what can be "done on tablets," it's not the tablets themselves you're talking about, it's the operating systems. Until someone writes a PDF editing app to run under iOS or Android, (or whatever other tablet OS might become the flavor of the day), you won't be able to do it. The Surface Pro runs Windows. Hence, it runs anything that runs under Windows.

• 9. Re: Running InDesign on Tablets
                          Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Word processing can be done on an iPad with Pages.

The Adobe Acrobat team currently has no solution for PDF editing on tablets. (There might be 3rd party solutions but they would be substandard and not professional.)

I think you need to consider the development time required for developing a major application. It's taken years...even decades for Acrobat or InDesign to do what it does. You can't just port an application over to another OS platform. It has to be built from scratch.

• 10. Re: Running InDesign on Tablets

Bob Levine wrote:

The only advantage is that it's a tablet and contrary to some of the hate out there, it's really pretty nice. I don't own one yet but with DPS support coming with Win 8.1 I will get one.

I don't disagree Bob. I suppose my no-advantage assertion was in the context of the OP's orginal statement:

I would prefer not to continue with laptops. Laptops space keyboard and screen uncomfortably close ergonomically, in my opinion,

• 11. Re: Running InDesign on Tablets

The entire application would need to be re-written for touch for it to

be useable for any length of time without an external keyboard like the

one available with the Surface. I know there are some bluetooth

keyboards available for other tablets as well.