15 Replies Latest reply on Sep 14, 2013 5:09 PM by StormMarc

Is auto save not working???

StormMarc Level 1

My APC just turned off to do a test and since the battery is bad my computer lost power. When I rebooted my premiere project is now corrupt.  I just lost 1-2 days worth of work because the auto save does not actually seem to save anything.  At least I cant find the files and the only folder I found has projects from 3 months ago yet auto save was on. This really sucks if this feature is not working.  I'm using Premiere CS6 latest version.

• 1. Re: Is auto save not working???
          Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Auto save has failed me also in the past.

Also it overwrites itself, which means you could end up with all the auto saves being corrupt.

As a precation I always Save a Copy to another drive after each edit session.

• 2. Re: Is auto save not working???
            Stephen_Spider Level 3

I always keep the autosave location checked to "same as project" so those are easy to find and sequestered from other projects. Also, I change the defaults to save more  frequently  and allow over 150 autosave versions.

I haven't had it fail on me that I can remember.

• 3. Re: Is auto save not working???
              joe bloe premiere Level 5

Make sure your Auto-Save time interval is set low enough.

If you only work on your Project for 15 minutes at a time

over the course of several weeks, and your Auto-Save interval

is set to 30 minutes, you will never have any Auto-Saves.

It is also a good practice to manually save incremental versions

of your Project as you are working... ideally on a separate internal

or external drive (or both).

• 4. Re: Is auto save not working???
                StormMarc Level 1

Thank you for the responses.  I had it set at the default of every 20 minutes and 5 projects but the latest project in the auto save folder was from 3 months ago.  I would work for long periods and everything was going so well I did not bother to save new back up versions for a few days at a time.  Big mistake!  Just spent many hours trying to rebuild my project from memory.  This is a huge bug for me so I will start saving new versions every 10 minutes manually.  I'm kinda mixed about Premiere at this point.  I switched from Vegas due to stability issues for a large project and it's been very stable but now this...

• 5. Re: Is auto save not working???

I did not bother to save new back up versions for a few days at a time.  Big mistake!  Just spent many hours trying to rebuild my project from memory.

The consolation is that it will probably never happen to you again.

This is a huge bug for me...

I'm not sure you can call it a bug.

I've never had trouble with Auto-Saves.

CS6.0.5

• 6. Re: Is auto save not working???
                    StormMarc Level 1

Well... I call it a bug because I had it set to save every 20 minutes and it has not worked once during the last 2 weeks of editing.  Perhaps it has something to do with the way my external drives are set-up etc. but at this point it's a feature that does not work for me even though it's turned on in the preferences.

• 7. Re: Is auto save not working???

You're welcome.

• 8. Re: Is auto save not working???
                        Stephen_Spider Level 3

Just to be clear..... You are manually saving your project as well, right?

• 9. Re: Is auto save not working???
                          shooternz Level 6

I'm kinda mixed about Premiere at this point.  I switched from Vegas due to stability issues for a large project and it's been very stable but now this...

Its hardly a stability issue or a bug!

My APC just turned off to do a test and since the battery is bad my computer lost power. When I rebooted my premiere project is now corrupt.

A manual 'Save a Copy' routine is editing basic practice.'101' and add a backup worklow to that files as well for best security.

FWIW - I have never lost a project or ever resorted to an autosave project.  I dont even have it turned on since CS5.5

• 10. Re: Is auto save not working???
                            StormMarc Level 1

Yes I was saving (ctrl+save) regulary but the file became corrupted by the power shut off and could no longer be opened.  I had another version saved from two days earlier I had to rebuild from.  I now save a new version manually every ten minutes during editing.

My point about this being a bug is that Auto Save was turn on yet did not save any recent versions.  Why have an auto save feature if it does not work?  If it does not work as advertised is it a bug. 

• 11. Re: Is auto save not working???
                              shooternz Level 6

Its a bug if its able to be replicated by others and its common.

We dont hear much about it failing anyone else on any regular basis..if ever.

Maybe your power failure wiped out the autosave.

Do a test and let us know if its working now.

• 12. Re: Is auto save not working???
                                StormMarc Level 1

Well... there is another person in this thread saying they have also had auto save issues.  At this point it really doesn't matter since my project has been rebuilt, I save copies like crazy now and Premiere was able to tackle a large project that Sony Vegas kept crashing on.  Thanks for the responses. 

• 13. Re: Is auto save not working???
                                  shooternz Level 6

At least you are running and onto it again.

I do a "Save" (Crtrl-S) every major  edit stage ..eg every 5 - 10 minutes.

Then I do a "Save Copy As' every half hour.  Some I over right the same "BackupProject nameCopy" and as I progress I add a numeric iteration to the filename.

eg."BackupProject nameCopy2"

BTW we dont count any thing Ann does as a bug.  She should know better cos she has a licence to operate Premiere Pro.

• 14. Re: Is auto save not working???
                                    marq5.1 Level 1

I have experienced projects not being auto save back-uped, and linked that to file structure problems (like I moved the project from the folder where it originally was created, or I changed the folders name where the Pr project was residing after starting it. I think that these things can lead the Auto-Save to get confused sometimes. This can also happen in Ae as well.

I have gotten used to making a duplicate of the project every day or at junctures of major change in the finder. The Mac finder duplicates the project file with the added word "copy" so I know that it isn't the original project file. I then add the date and time to the end of the file name _yymmdd_hh and send a copy to another drive.

It's too bad that there is no option in Pr to have it save the Auto-Saves to different drive than where the original is.

I also use a droplet created with a Mac renaming utility called "Name Mangler". Here is the macro for the advanced area of the re-namer in case anyone is interested.

[concatenate

<name>,

"_", [modified "%y%m%d_%H"],".", <extension>

]

I just drop the project file onto the droplet and it gets appended with its modification date.

• 15. Re: Is auto save not working???
                                      StormMarc Level 1

marq5.1 wrote:

I have experienced projects not being auto save back-uped, and linked that to file structure problems (like I moved the project from the folder where it originally was created, or I changed the folders name where the Pr project was residing after starting it. I think that these things can lead the Auto-Save to get confused sometimes. This can also happen in Ae as well.

I'm fairly certain I did the above so that must have been the problem.  The last available auto save versions were from months back when I first started the project.  Thanks.