7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 10, 2013 7:19 AM by Eugene Tyson

Basic TOC questions

buck415 Level 1

Hi everyone.

With InDesign CC, is it still necessary to build the TOC in the last page of the document?

Once a toc is built, if the document is updated, does the toc update automatically or does it need to be rebuilt?

If in an .indb, does Synchronization rebuild the toc?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Basic TOC questions
          Salah Fadlabi Level 5

Once a toc is built, if the document is updated, does the toc update automatically or does it need to be rebuilt?

Layout>update table of contents

• 2. Re: Basic TOC questions
            Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You can generate a TOC on any page you like. At the start of a document it's called a Table of Contents.

at the end of documents you're more likely to find an index - as per formats of books in general.

And no updating the page numbering does not update the TOC when sychronised.

You have to use the Layout>Update Table of Contents

I think you would benefit from a few books

It's not CC but will get you going

http://www.amazon.com/InDesign-CS6-Visual-QuickStart-Guide/dp/0321822536

http://www.amazon.com/Real-World-Adobe-InDesign-CS6/dp/0321834615

http://www.amazon.com/Adobe-InDesign-CS4-Styles-Layouts/dp/032160606X

These will really help you.

It's not great to be firing random questions at a forum - probably best if you took some lessons or time yourself to learn the different areas

If you're still stuck there's no problem in coming back to ask for direction.

At the moment I think you need to take a step back.

When I was learning InDesign I found having InDesign books on my desk was far faster and a better way of learning the software.

But it's up to you

• 3. Re: Basic TOC questions
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

It has never been necessary to build the TOC in the last page, and it would be pretty useless there, in my opinion. The only requirement for a TOC location is that it be an independent story, not threaded to any other text.

TOCs do not update automatically, but they can be updated quite easily whenever the need arises. For continuous automatic updating, you can build a table of contents manually using cross-references, bu this is time consuming to set up and is prone to troouble if the refernces are cross-document.

• 4. Re: Basic TOC questions
                Sandee Cohen Adobe Community Professional

The only reason people put the TOC on the last page is they can't figure out how to put it at the front of the document without add pages which would change the numbers in the book.

They don't realize they can make a section start so the TOC is in small Roman numbers and the book starts at Arabic 1.

• 5. Re: Basic TOC questions
                  buck415 Level 1

> It's not great to be firing random questions at a forum - probably best if you took some lessons or time yourself to learn the different areas

I sincerely apologize for abusing your discussion space and apologize for obligating you to reply to my posts.

Please forgive me, and I will make every effort to not trouble you again.

• 6. Re: Basic TOC questions
                    Sandee Cohen Adobe Community Professional

Stephen,

Please don't stop asking questions. I need to read questions like this to know what confuses people.

Of course if you do get my book you will become such an expert that you will stop asking questions and start answering them.

• 7. Re: Basic TOC questions
                      Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Don't take it the wrong way.

You have every right to ask as many questions as you like.

Simply suggesting that having the books at hand might be more beneficial for you.

The books are far more indepth in the answers that it's definitely worth your time to get them.

I'll always answer questions on whatever I have to give - but if I see someone struggling with the software and asking, what many would consider to be basic questions, I will always suggest they take a bit of time with books to learn the software.

It's no reflection on you.

If you want to keep asking questions then please do - I'm glad to help and so are many others.

But I think you'd benefit a lot more from the books I pointed to.