9 Replies Latest reply on Sep 10, 2013 11:50 AM by Izac R...

Anchored images in a 2 column text frame

Izac R...

Try as i might i cannot figure out how to get my anchored images to behave the way i want. I have a two column text box that takes up the majority of the page and a few images anchored in between some of the text. Everything works fine untill an image gets near the bottom of the page. Then It just completely ignores that its in a text frame and just goes outside of it instead of shifting over to the next column. Is there a way to get these images to stop doing this?

Also why is it that you can drag anchored objects up? Doesn't that kind of just defeat the purpose?

Thanks for your time.

• 1. Re: Anchored images in a 2 column text frame
          Sandee Cohen Adobe Community Professional

Select the anchored object and in Object > Anchored Object > Options set the Prevent Manual Position and Keep within top/Bottom Column Boundaries. I think that will help you.

anchored object options.png

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Anchored images in a 2 column text frame
            BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

What version of ID? What are the anchored object options set to? Not

sure I get that last question but is this an anchored object or an

inline object?

• 3. Re: Anchored images in a 2 column text frame
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Hard to know from your description if the anchored object is inline/above line or custom positioned. The Keep Within boundaries option is not available for inline/above line, and the default is to allow you to adust the vertical position of those relative to the baseline, which is essentially the same thing as adding baseline shift to a glyph to move it realtive to its neighbors.

• 4. Re: Anchored images in a 2 column text frame
                Izac R... Level 1

Peter Spier wrote:

Hard to know from your description if the anchored object is inline/above line or custom positioned. The Keep Within boundaries option is not available for inline/above line, and the default is to allow you to adust the vertical position of those relative to the baseline, which is essentially the same thing as adding baseline shift to a glyph to move it realtive to its neighbors.

Sorry about that i could have explained my issue in more detail. it was  set to  "inline/above line". and "keep within boundaries" seems to be  what i was looking for however on a semi related note while playing with  these settings cs6 seems to be crashing alot. Do you know if that's a  common problem?

• 5. Re: Anchored images in a 2 column text frame
                  Izac R... Level 1

Bob Levine wrote:

What version of ID? What are the anchored object options set to? Not

sure I get that last question but is this an anchored object or an

inline object?

im using cs6 sorry. i just tried  Sandee's solution for options and it seems to just put my images outside  of the text frame. before that i was just on defaults for anchor  options.

(default as in "inline or above line" with "inline" selected and "prevent manual positioning" unchecked.)

• 6. Re: Anchored images in a 2 column text frame
                    Izac R... Level 1

Sandee Cohen wrote:

Select the anchored object and in Object > Anchored Object > Options set the Prevent Manual Position and Keep within top/Bottom Column Boundaries. I think that will help you.

anchored object options.png

those settings seem to work except for the "prevent manual positioning" that just locks my images outside of the text frame and i cannot move them.

• 7. Re: Anchored images in a 2 column text frame
                      Izac R... Level 1

Well right as it seemed i was nearing the solution to my problem a new  problem arose. Now whenever i try to so much as edit or even delete the  image that i was changing achor settings on, my CS6 crashes instantly. I  know that this is a completely different problem than what this thread  is about but any help would be greatly appreciated.

Message was edited by: Izac R...  Started new thread for this problem: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1293178

Message was edited by: Izac R... Crashing problem solved in that thread

• 8. Re: Anchored images in a 2 column text frame
                        Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Izac R... wrote:

those settings seem to work except for the "prevent manual positioning" that just locks my images outside of the text frame and i cannot move them.

You don't want to set that until you have the image positioned correctly relative to the text. You can save the anchored object settings as part of an object style, too, if that's appropriate, to make it easily repeatable.

• 9. Re: Anchored images in a 2 column text frame
                          Izac R... Level 1

Cool thanks for the tip!