6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 21, 2013 3:07 PM by Genevieve Laroche

Form Duplication Issues

bwelch007

I recently had an issue when duplicating an existing form, then renaming & making modifications, the modified text appears correctly on the distributed .pdf, but is not consistently updating in the results view.

A portion of the form was modified and questions changed in design view. The form looked great in .pdf view & was distributed. When looking at response view, some of the questions from the original form that was duplicated and renamed were still appearing.

To test I duplicatd the form (form only, not results), renamed the form, remade a change to one of the questions that had not been correctly updated on the first try, saved, distributed, submitted a response, then checked the questoin text in results view. Once again the text had not been updated.

Any ideas on what might be happening?

• 1. Re: Form Duplication Issues
          Lucia Lao Employee Moderator

Hi,

I have not been able to reproduce you problem.

>>To test I duplicatd the form (form only, not results), renamed the form, remade a change to one of the questions that had not been correctly updated on the first try, saved, distributed, submitted a response, then checked the questoin text in results view. Once again the text had not been updated.

Let me confirm my understanding - my questions in parenthesis:

• you duplicated an existing form (just form, no responses/results),
          • renamed the form,
          • opened the form that you just renamed in FormsCentral in Web View
          • changed one of the form field (what type of fied is this?, label of a text field? label of a single choice field, labels of single choice options/items??  ), saved the form, distributed it (as HTML or PDF?) and submitted a response (via PDF form or HTML form?)
          • your result: in View Responses, you did not see the updated text for the corresponding field

Is it possible that you share your form to llao@adobe.com

More information on how to share : http://forums.adobe.com/docs/DOC-2462

Does this problem happen to other form or just this one?

Thanks,

Lucia

• 2. Re: Form Duplication Issues
            bwelch007 Level 1

Hi Lucia -

Sorry for the delay - crazy couple of months!

Items 1, 2, 3 are correct.
            Item 4 - The form label was changed for text response items as well as multiple choice options

Form was saved as .pdf
            Responses were submitted as .pdf

Result: Label items that were written over "reappeared" upon form submission

Unfortunately, it won't help to share the forms now (it happened in multiple forms), becuase I had to generate reports with correct labels, I went into the results tables and manually updated the labels.

I'll try to recreate the issue with the original forms I used & see what happens.

Many thanks!

Beth

• 3. Re: Form Duplication Issues
              Genevieve Laroche Adobe Employee

Once you change culumns names manually in the Response Table the columns won't keep in "in-synch" with the label of the field on the form. This means that if you change the label on the form it won't undate the column name anymore. Is it possible that this is what happen originally? Have you made modifications to column's names in the Response Table prior to duplicating the form?

Note that if you never change the column names in the Response Table then changing the label on the form will also update the column name in the Response Table. This behaviour stop as soon as you manually modify the column name in the Response Table.

Gen

• 4. Re: Form Duplication Issues
                bwelch007 Level 1

That's good to know!  I don't believe that modifications were made to the form table prior to the issue, however I can't be 100% positive as the form was modified by someone else as well.

I went back to the "original" form, duplicated it, modified the questions and the changes do not show up in the form table, so the issue is persisting.

Do I need to recreate the entire form from scratch to fix the issue?

Would only "modified" labels get out of synch or would all labels? (Can I duplicate the form, delete the "modified" labels, then re-add those questions?)

I I have to recreate the form, can I "copy/paste" from the design version into a new version by having 2 windows open - as long as I do not do a form duplication?

Thanks for your help!
                Best,

Beth

• 5. Re: Form Duplication Issues
                  bwelch007 Level 1

Would it work to download the design file & then re upload?
                  Is there an "easy" way to transfer the data received in the old forms to the new forms?

• 6. Re: Form Duplication Issues
                    Genevieve Laroche Adobe Employee

Sorry for the late response.

You should be able to only delete the fields that are not in synch and re-add those fields manually.

The design file, when re-imported, will have the same behavior since it also copy the column name (which doesn't match the label).

Copy and paste of the field will also copy the column name which again is different than the label and will behave the same.

Gen