4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 21, 2008 2:38 PM by DanMat6288

File Changes on Another Program

DanMat6288
      I have a image technique of using Fireworks to draw line art over a scanned hand-drawn image and then copying the line art over to MS Paint to color it. Then at one point, I figured I'd just delete the scanned "background" bmp on an image I was working on (for ID sake, let's just call it "image1.png") in Fireworks and save it as is, since I'd be saving it in Paint as a "png" file anyway, and then I would close Fireworks and do the coloring by opening the saved file in Paint.

However, whenever I later opened the same picture up on Fireworks again, it acknowledged none of the changes I made to the image in Paint. I figure that shouldn't be too bad, since I finished the image anyway, but this is where things start getting weird. I later went to open up an entirely different image in Fireworks (let's call it "image2.png"), and image1.png pops up, exactly as I saved it in Fireworks before, in place of image2.png with its name. What the heck happened?
        • 1. Re: File Changes on Another Program
          pixlor Level 4
          Hmm. Sounds like you saved image1.png over image2.png without realizing it.
          • 2. Re: File Changes on Another Program
            DanMat6288 Level 1
            I know I didn't do that. For one thing, opening image2.png in Paint got me image2.png instead of image1.png, so I know it's just Fireworks.
            • 3. Re: File Changes on Another Program
              Level 7
              Can the observed effect be replicated or was it merely a one-off?

DanMat6288 wrote:
              > I have a image technique of using Fireworks to draw line art over a scanned
              > hand-drawn image and then copying the line art over to MS Paint to color it.
              > Then at one point, I figured I'd just delete the scanned "background" bmp on an
              > image I was working on (for ID sake, let's just call it "image1.png") in
              > Fireworks and save it as is, since I'd be saving it in Paint as a "png" file
              > anyway, and then I would close Fireworks and do the coloring by opening the
              > saved file in Paint.
              >
              > However, whenever I later opened the same picture up on Fireworks again, it
              > acknowledged none of the changes I made to the image in Paint. I figure that
              > shouldn't be too bad, since I finished the image anyway, but this is where
              > things start getting weird. I later went to open up an entirely different image
              > in Fireworks (let's call it "image2.png"), and image1.png pops up, exactly as I
              > saved it in Fireworks before, in place of image2.png with its name. What the
              > heck happened?
              >
              • 4. Re: File Changes on Another Program
                DanMat6288 Level 1
                Yes, it can be replicated. If any image file is saved in Fireworks and later edited and saved in another program, Fireworks will not acknowledge those changes.

I apologize that it has taken me over a month to respond to this, but I figured I could ignore this problem by not saving my line artwork directly in the Fireworks problem. Unfortunately, another problem connected to this issue arose while I was attempting to work with these files in a Dreamweaver site.

Since the "Optimize" option uses Fireworks to edit selected images, the file wants to go by Firework's original version instead of the last saved version (this goes for both images I saved line art in Fireworks for), leaving me to take a detour of several more complicated steps to edit the file for the web page. Even saving a copy of the image from another program does not remove the "cache problem" (that's what I'm dubbing it until I can learn more). Even the copies are read as the original Firework's version of the file.