1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 10, 2013 6:57 PM by pixxxel schubser

Evenly spaced anchor points on a compound shape or path

tusharde Level 1

Hi,

I am new to illustrator scripting. And i need some help with a script i am writing.

I am wondering if there is a way to add/remove/redistribute anchor points on a compound shape so that there are evenly spaced anchors along the outline of that shape. This image might help illustrate.

Screen Shot 2013-09-10 at 3.34.38 PM.png

I am aware of the "add anchor points" command. But that adds a new anchor at EVERY midpoint between two anchors. It doesn't smartly calculate where to add and where to avoid adding anchors. Does a script like this already exist? Is it even possible to do something like?

Any guidance is much appreciated.

• 1. Re: Evenly spaced anchor points on a compound shape or path
          pixxxel schubser Level 5

I don't know, if there is a script exist which do this for every outline of every shape. But the following linked scripts do this for selected segments (#1). And script (#2) does change every path into an ellipse with a specified number of anchor points.

Go to s.h.page and have a look for the following two scripts

The best for you I think is:

-->  divide (length)

(divides each selected segment into specified number) and the secondbest

--> ovalize

(for turning every selected path into an oval which fits the width and the height of the path.

You can specify the number of the anchor points before the script modifies the paths.)

Is this right for you?