7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 14, 2013 8:37 PM by A.T. Romano

Quality of DVD is very poor; help

froggy_cat1

Hi,

I'm new to Premiere Elements.  I have an HD Panasonic Camcorder.  I created several AVCHD videos and they look great.  I was told by a family member they do not have a blu-ray player, so I created one using the DVD format.  WOW, what a difference.  The video quality was very poor...I couldn't read the numbers on the soccer players.  I then tried the Panasonic software that came with the camera and it looks great....but, not as good as AVCHD.  I even tried something called DVDVideoSoft and it looks great.  I really would like to stick with Elements when having to burn a DVD.  Where do I start to figure out why my DVD quality is so poor?  The lines on the soccer field look like double lines.  I'm assuming I must have a setting not set correctly.  Suggestions?

Thanks, Tom

• 1. Re: Quality of DVD is very poor; help
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Yes, DVDs are very different than BluRay discs. They have less than one-fifth the resolution.

But if you're using the proper workflow for your video, it should look as good coming out of Premiere Elements as it does coming out of DVDVideoSoft or any other program.

What model of camcorder is your video coming from and what format and resolution is it?

Which version of the program are you using?

When you started your project, which project settings did you select? (You can see your project settings under the Edit menu.) If you selected the correct project settings, you will NOT see red lines above your clips when you add them to your timeline in Timeline mode. Is this the case in your project?

• 3. Re: Quality of DVD is very poor; help
            froggy_cat1 Level 1

Steve,

My camcorder is Panasonic HC-V700, using Elements, V11.0 (20120901.B261.425551).  I don't see red lines above the clips.  The Pansonnic software is called HD Writer.  The quality (to me, this means how sharp and clean the lines are) of the AVCHD is better with Elements, but the HD Writer and the free DVDVideoSoft are far superior; but I want to get Elements to that level.

For the Pansonic, I've set the camcorder to 1080/60i (HA1920).  There is an option called 1080/60P, maybe that's a better option? 

Not knowing the best setup, here's, what I have been using:

Editing Mode HD 1080i
            Timebase 29.97 frames/second
            Frame size: horizontal 1920 vertical 1080
            Pixel Aspect Ratio: Square Pixels (1.0)
            Fields: Upper field first
            Display Format: 30fps Drop-Frame Timemode
            Title Safe Area: 20
            Action Safe Area: 10
            Sample Rate: 48000Hz
            Display Format Audio Samples
            Aspect Ratio Conversion: Hardware (If supported)  (running dell i5, windows 8)
            24p Conversion Method: Interlaced Frame(2:3:3:2)
            Capture Format: HDV
            Video Render: Maximum bit depth is not checked

Anything specific I should be looking at under Preferences?

Thanks again for any suggestions you have.

Tom

• 4. Re: Quality of DVD is very poor; help
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Thanks for your detailed answer.

Your camcorder shoots in a couple of different modes. Can you confirm that you're shooting in 1080i and not 1080p?

Meantime, since you're using version 11, switch over to Expert View. In  Expert View is there a yellow-orange line along the top of the timeline?

• 5. Re: Quality of DVD is very poor; help
                froggy_cat1 Level 1

Steve,

I am shooting in 1080i mode.  However, it seems I should change this to 1080p.  Attached is a screen shot of what I see....I don't see a yello/orange line at the time.  But I do see a yellow line through the timeline.  Not sure what that means.  I'm video taping another soccer game tonight  I will try 1080P and burn a DVD with HD Writer (panasonic) and Elements and see how they look.

Thanks, Tom

• 6. Re: Quality of DVD is very poor; help
                  froggy_cat1 Level 1

Here's an observation...

When I unloaded the data from the panasonic camcorder using elements, I get one file on the pc....which ends in

MTS.  When I unload the camcorder using HD Writer, it unloads 4 files for each recording:

*.m2ts
                  *.cont
                  *.pmpd
                  *.tmb

I've upgraded the panasonic recording fropm 1080i to 1080P and tried to burn a new DVD.  One from HD Writer, one from elements.  The HD Writer still blows away elements...when creating a DVD, not AVCHD.  Could it have something to do with the difference in files that are being unloaded...and used to build the DVD?  Maybe HD Writer uses all 4 files to burn their dvd.  When I import the files to build a new project using elements, it only sees the m2ts files. 

What do you think about the different files?

Thanks, Tom

• 7. Re: Quality of DVD is very poor; help
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Tom

I have been following your thread from a distance, but your latest post lead me to add some comments...

I am not clear why you feel that you need the HD Writer for getting your video from the camera to the computer.

And, if you decide to go that route, your focus should be the .m2ts for the video file which is imported into Premiere Elements 11 Windows.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/camcorders-video-editing/1265583-panasonics-hd-writer-ae-so ftware-its-extra-files-they-necessary.html

The link above addresses those "extra files" that the HD Writer generates in doing its operation.

If your 1080p30 is what you are now shooting, please consider:

Manually set project preset (File Menu/New/Project)

NTSC

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p30

putting a check mark next to Force Select Project Setting on this Project before you exit the new project dialog. Then import your video into the project with the program's Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets from where you will drag the video to the Expert workspace Timeline.

Publish+Share

Disc

DVD

with burn to: NTSC_Widescreen_Dolby DVD

ATR