0 Replies Latest reply on Sep 11, 2013 8:06 AM by kimbowie1985

Premiere Pro CS5 No Longer Saves Project

kimbowie1985

I am working on a Mac OS X Version 10.6.8 with 2 x 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon Processors and 12 GB 800 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM Memory. I am running Premiere Pro CS5 on this machine.

I work for a company who produces 50-100 short, education-based videos for clients across the country to post on YouTube. The model we use is not complicated, but geared toward getting these videos edited with graphics and music quickly so they can be released slowly over time. So, needless to say, I'm accessing their project files quite often, until all of their videos are edited. For some reason, however, after a certain amount of times opening & quitting the program, the project no longer saves. This has happened to TWO projects so far (one using AVCHD footage, and the other Canon MXF files).

Here's what happens:

The project starts to take longer to save, then, one day I go to save or Auto-Save kicks in and the dialog box comes up but the progress bar never changes.

It will stay this way as long as I let it, but as soon as I click "Cancel" Premiere freezes up and I have to resort to "Force Quit".

It is at this point that I become aware of the insanely large file size of the project....in this particular case, 380.2MB.

I have tried:

- "Save As"

- Duplicating the project in Finder and opening the copy

- Opening Auto-Save Files

- Creating a new project completely and importing the old project

- Trashing Preferences

- And even resetting the workspace to the default "Editing" workspace (a suggestion when Googling the problem).

None of the above has helped.

Luckily, at my company, we have another machine (Mac OS X ver. 10.6.8, 2 x 2.4 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon Processors, 12 GB 1066 MHz DDR3 Memory) which runs CS5.5. As a workaround, I've been able to take these projects over there and just continue to work on them in CS5.5. But, obviously this is not a solution. I'd like to know what the problem may be behind all this, especially since this is a problem that could theoretically happen in CS5.5 down the line.

Any insight is appreciated, and please let me know if you need more info on my part!!