4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 12, 2013 1:37 AM by PrintFusion45

missing font

rsb2

I created an equation containing the pi symbol using Word's MT feature. When I place the equaiton in InDesign, I get a "font not available" message and the pi symbol does not display properly. How can I fix this? Thanks.

• 1. Re: missing font
          Rik Ramsay Level 4

You would need to use a font that has the pi glyph, such as Minion Pro, Arial etc.
          To see if the font used has the symbol, go to Window > Type & Tables > Glyphs and select "Entire Font" from the popup. You can then change your font to one that has the required symbol.

• 2. Re: missing font
            rsb2 Level 1

When i select Entire Font, i cannot tell which font it is that has the required symbol. How can I tell this?

• 3. Re: missing font
              Rik Ramsay Level 4

The font used is shown directly under the Glyphs as a dropdown menu. You can then select whatever font you like.

• 4. Re: missing font
                PrintFusion45 Employee Moderator

As as alternative, you can save the Word document in old format which is Word 2003 format or .doc format. In this case, the equations will be converted to an image which will then embedded automatically in the InDesign file when you place the .doc Word document in InDesign. You can find the embedded images in the Links panel. However, one thing you have to remember is that you have to finalize the equation edits within the word 2010 or later .docx documents before you save it in old format which will convert the equations to an image.