• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problem with RH10 mapping to default topic

Community Beginner ,
Sep 11, 2013 Sep 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having trouble understanding the mapping that RH10 does to display to topic I identify as my default topic. I've studied the source code of index.htm and whnjs.htm to understand how it is supposed to work.

When I publish my project, whnjs.htm maps to my default topic but index.htm doesn’t map to whnjs.htm. As a result, my generated project NEVER launches my default topic even though it displays correctly when previewed in the Generate function.

When I asked the Adobe support tech to explain how this was suppsoed to work, he said that "someone smarter than me" would understand how.

Unfortunately, I am the smartest guy I have access to, so I'd like to escalate this issue to someone who 1) understands how it works and 2) is willing to pass the knowledge along to me.

Thank you!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LOL – you realize that this forum is user-to-user, right? There’s not much escalation going on here ;>)

Search the RH forum for default topic – you’ll find lots of threads discussing setting it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

As you are referencing the whnjs.htm I'm assuming it's WebHelp you are looking at. So here is the cascade of events that occur.

Index.htm loads up and triggers loads of JavaScript functions as well as configuring the main frameset of the WebHelp system. The Toolbar is loaded in the top frame and another split occurs in the bottom frame. The navigation appears in the left frame while the right frame is then populated with whatever you nominate as the default topic.

Hopefully that helps... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the quick response Rick. I've just finished patting myself on the back for figuring out how index.htm loads the JavaScript then links over to whnjs.htm. Maybe I'm not as dumb as the Adobe tech suggested!

As you can see here, launching whnjs.htm takes me to the correct topic. BUT launching index.htm takes we to some other topic. Try it!

Seems to me something is broken in index.htm.

No?

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, they look totally different - maybe you can post some screenshots of your SSL settings (use the camera icon in the web interface) to see what you're doing in there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all

LOOKING totally different I totally understand. It would appear the whnjs.htm is the page that would be loaded in the event the sniffer result says the browser is incapable of using JavaScript. (Guessing that's what the "njs" part means here. NO JavaScript.)

So the look is that of the former "Traditional style - No Skin" sort of WebHelp. But the same default topic should still load up on the right side.

And in thinking about that, it occurs to me to ask this. Do you have something inside the default topic that is tied to JavaScript? My thought here is that if so, perhaps that bit isn't loading and you are seeing what you believe to be a different topic.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The default topic is set in whstart.js, the variable gsTopic. When you do not provide CSH, the help should automatically load the default topic.

The relevant frameset for the topic is located in whskin_frmset010.htm.

(Sorry, but I don't have time for a more thorough reply now. I hope this helps you on the way.)

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp