1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 11, 2013 12:45 PM by Mike M

New Version of Flash Won't Install on iMac

dborland@sfsu.edu

I need to update Flash on my iMac, and when I try to do this (I am choosing the suggested Mac version of Flash from Adobe's website) I can download the folder, open the folder, permit the download, and then Flash begins to download. However, Flash then moves to the final phase of "Installing" and half way through this it bombs out and gives an error message saying that the installation has failed.

I have tried this several times, on several different days, and I am not experiencing any other internet / connectivity problens. I am running Intego anti-virus software, but switching this off makes no difference.

I have "allowed" everything I can think of on Safari, but to no avail (and this should be irrelevant anyway, because Flash directs me to close Safari long before it fails the install (i.e. Safari is  not open when the Flash installation bombs out).

I have closed all other applications.

Hardware: I am running a three-year old iMac, 2.8GHz, Intel Core i5, 8GB 1333 MHz DDR3 memory, loads of space left on my 1TB HD.

Operating System: I am running Mac OS X Version 10.7.5 (the most recent version)

I would love to speak with an Adobe tech, as I suspect there is a simple fix to this, or I'm doing something stupid, but what am I doing wrong?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: New Version of Flash Won't Install on iMac
          Mike M Level 6

#1. You will NEVER EVER EVER need that antivirus software and if you paid for it, I hate to be the one to tell you, but you were ripped off. It will cause more problems than it will EVER solve because (in spite of what ANYONE may tell you) THERE ARE NO VIRUSES for Mac OS X - none that anitvirus software will ever find or eliminate. Use AppZapper and get rid of it, and ALL the associated files. I have a four page DETAILED explanation from an Apple developer on this if you'd like. I can post it here.

#2. There are instructions to perform a "clean Install" using an offline installer. (How to perform a "clean install" of Flash Player in Mac OS X) You download it completely BEFORE you install it. Follow the instructions TO THE LETTER and unless there is something else on your system (like Little Snitch or a conflicting plugin) it should work the first time.