6 Replies Latest reply: Sep 17, 2013 7:32 PM by future-architect RSS

using the "punch" tool

future-architect Community Member

I have an eclipse, and a "group of one object".  when I try to punch the two, it does not work.  Rather, it turns that "group of one object" into a compound shape.  I tested the eclipse with a rectangle, and did a "punch", and it worked fine.

• 1. Re: using the "punch" tool
          groove25 Community Member

It's not clear what your question is, what the problem is, or even what you're describing. A screenshot of the canvas and the Layers panel might help to clarify.

If you're using the Properties panel's Boolean operations to apply the Punch command, a compound shape is a desireable and expected outcome. (And it seems to work on both vectors and groups.) If you're looking for a composite path instead, you can click the Combine button (also in the Properties panel) to convert the resulting compound shape into a composite path.

Using Modify > Combine Paths will give you a composite path instead of a compound shape, but it cannot be applied to a group.

• 2. Re: using the "punch" tool

fireworks.png

I am trying to get only the white area.

• 3. Re: using the "punch" tool

Try one of the Boolean operations in the Properties panel to get the effect you're looking for. If this doesn't work, it might be because the "Group of 1 object" contains a bitmap and not a vector. (You cannot apply a Boolean operation to a bitmap.)

BTW, unless you've applied a style or effect to the group, there's no reason to have a "group of 1 object"; you could use the Ungroup command on this object to make things simpler.

Boolean options in Properties panel.png

• 4. Re: using the "punch" tool

Here is a better image of what is happening.  I tried the buttons, and they do not work.fireworks.png

• 5. Re: using the "punch" tool

Double check what you've selected before you run the Punch command: Is it only the Ellipse and the Group of 1 Object?

According to the alert, one of the selected components contains subpaths of a compound shape. Perhaps this is your Group of 1 Object. As suggested previously, you might want to ungroup this object so you know what you're working with. In fact, this is what I'd suggest. If the group contains a compound shape, try selecting it and using the Combine button in the Properties panel to convert that shape into a Composite Path. From there, you should be able to reselect your original two elements and apply the Punch command.

• 6. Re: using the "punch" tool

that's what it was - thanks!