21 Replies Latest reply on Sep 16, 2013 4:57 PM by Peter Spier

Image Filters

doanarchery

I have been using InDesign CS3 for years.  However, I am now unable to open my program because I need to install Image Filters.  I have never heard of these and do not know what this is all about.  How do I solve this issue?

• 1. Re: Image Filters
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

What is the exact error message, and what are you doing when it comes up?

• 2. Re: Image Filters
            BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Image filters? I'm afraid I don't know what you're referring to. Can you be

more specific.

• 3. Re: Image Filters
              newwestbug

I'm getting the same error message. I try to run InDesign (I have CS4), either by selecting it in the Start menu, or by clicking on an .indd file. I see the pink InDesign rectangle, and then almost immediately, I get the following message:

Also, the last few times I've tried to start InDesign, nothing happens at all. If I keep trying, eventually I get pink rectangle and the message above appearing again. Other Adobe programs seems to be running fine.

Thanks

• 4. Re: Image Filters
                newwestbug Level 1

Sorry - my screenshot didn't appear. I see "Cannot load InDesign.exe because it requires Image Filters. Please install the Image Filters plug-in and restart InDesign."

• 5. Re: Image Filters
                  doanarchery Level 1

I have an InDesign CS3 icon on my desktop.  When I want to access the program I just click on the icon and it has always opened the program.

Now, there are two boxes that appear.  The first box says:

Cannot load InDesign.exe because it requires Image Filters.  Please install Image Filters and restart Adobe InDesign.

When I click OK, a second box appears, saying:

InDesign.exe Applications error.  The instruction at "0x007b1903" referenced memory at "0x00000000".  The memory could not be "read".  Click on OK to terminate the program.

Just to be clear, my operating system is Windows XP.  I have never seen these messages before.

Don

• 6. Re: Image Filters

Don, you only need to post once -- we all get the emails.

All, ImageFilers.rpln is a required plugin. I can't tell you why it should suddenly have gone missing, but I suggest the easist thing to try would be to reinstall.

• 7. Re: Image Filters
                      doanarchery Level 1

Thanks, Peter.  I'll see if that works.

Don

• 8. Re: Image Filters
                        sppunk

I have this same issue and was asked to post here. Mine is with CS4.

I've used this version of InDesign every day for nearly 2 years and have made no changes to my computer. This evening I started and received this error.

"Cannot load InDesign.exe becaue it requires Image Filters. Please install the Image Filters plug-in and restart InDesign."

I'm on a Win7 PC so I know a crash report isn't really helpful at all. I can't locate anywhere anything of this sort, and AFAIK there is no "Image Filters" plugin for CS4.

Any ideas? All other CS4 components work as normal (Illustrator, Photoshop, Acrobat, etc). The original install disks unfortunately are long gone thanks to a flood last summer.

I tried the SING approach (moving the folder out of the directory) to no avail. Issue works for all users, too.

• 9. Re: Image Filters
                          doanarchery Level 1

I wonder if this has anything to do with anti-virus software.  I am using Avast.  What about you other guys who are reporting the same problem?  Maybe it seems far-fetched, but it happened to me once before with Avast as it related to my web design software.

• 10. Re: Image Filters
                            sppunk Level 1

I actually had that thought myself and completely turned off Avast (I too use it). It didn't make any difference. I'm not on a firewall.

• 11. Re: Image Filters
                              doanarchery Level 1

Turning off Avast after the fact, wouldn't help - if in fact it caused the damage. 

I had to go in and manually repair the damage it did to my web software once it was determined that they had changed a few settings that should not have been changed.   I just find it suspicious that this all occurred after an Avast update.  My InDesign software was working perfectly this morning.

• 12. Re: Image Filters
                                Murkas

Well I had the same problem, InDesign warning for missing Image Filters. And it was becauce my antivirus software avast had put a file Image Filters.rpln into the Virus Chest!

So if you got avast, open the user interface, choose the maintanance tab and Virus Chest in the menu on the left. Right click on Image Filters.rpln and choose Restore.

Now if you want to avoid avast to put it the re again next time you try to start InDesign you have to put the file and its path to the Global Exclution list. This is how you do it.

Either you note the complete file path of Image Filters.rpln in the Virus Chest, or if you don't have the energy, just right click on the file in the list, choose Submit to virus lab.. Here you can copy the file path fron the top box of the window. Now close this window, and in the Virus Chest screen choose Settings up in the right corner (next o Account). Here choose Global Exclutions in the menu to the left. Add the file path and press OK.

• 13. Re: Image Filters

While I was sleeping it looks like the group has figured out the problem is Avast. All I will say about Antivirus software is you never get more than you pay for, and I've been a happy user of ESET NOD32 for five or six years now.

As far as needing the CS4 installer, you can download it here: Download Adobe CS4 and CS3 Free Trials Here (incl. After Effects) | ProDesignTools but be sure you read and follow the important directions on the page before you click any links or it will not work. This is the same installer as on your disks and will accept your serial number (which, if you registered, should be listed in yor account at the Adobe Store online).

• 14. Re: Image Filters
                                    sppunk Level 1

This solved my issue as well, ImageFilter was in Avast's Virus Chest. Restored file, InDesign opens properly.

Thank you for your sleuthing to solve this riddle!

• 15. Re: Image Filters
                                      doanarchery Level 1

Thank you very much, Murkas.  That did the trick.  There was another Adobe file in the Virus Chest as well.  I restored that one, too.

I printed out your instructions in case this happens again.  Maybe I should contact Avast and let them know about the screw up.

Don

• 16. Re: Image Filters
                                        drevadobe

I've checked my avast Virus chest and it is empty. Is there anywere I can download this file? I'm a consultant traveling  and all of my discs and serial #s are at home, far away. Please help

• 17. Re: Image Filters
                                          Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

Peter wrote in #13 where and how to download Adobe software legaly.

• 18. Re: Image Filters

drevadobe wrote:

I've checked my avast Virus chest and it is empty. Is there anywere I can download this file? I'm a consultant traveling  and all of my discs and serial #s are at home, far away. Please help

Which verion of ID are you using? I posted the link above for CS3 and CS4. ProDesign Tools also has similar pages for more recent versions.

And  simple System Restore to a few days ago might solve the problem, too.

• 19. Re: Image Filters
                                              ColorsAce

Thanks a million for this help, and to Peter Spier. The same thing happened to me, and your solution was right on. Totally ignorant about image filters, I read your solution and I found the plugin, ImageFilters.rpln, in the Avast virus chest, as you said, and restored it.

Since then I have opened InDesign CS4 twice without a problem.

Andrew

• 20. Re: Image Filters
                                                drevadobe Level 1

Sorry to be the problem pea in the soup, I've found my CS4 licence # (am still traveling, so don't have the discs and can't have them mailed to me), and carefully followed the info in your helpful links (triple checked my methods too), but the setup software keeps saying "the software is already installed on this machine, please run the installer which performed the installation." Any advice?

Thanks a million,

• 21. Re: Image Filters

try the cleaner tool, then the installer again. See CS Cleaner Tool for installation problems | CCM, CS6, CS5.5, CS5, CS4, CS3