22 Replies Latest reply: Sep 17, 2013 10:48 AM by Curt Y RSS

Bridge Cache

RonBoyd Community Member

I have a SSHD, too small to accomodate the Bridge Cache, as my C: drive. How can I direct Bridge to use a different Hard Drive?

I can get Bridge (CC version) to create a different Folder in the Preferences menu but have been unable to assign a different hard drive.

• 1. Re: Bridge Cache
          Mylenium CommunityMVP

Installation Preparations

read the section about SSDs....

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Bridge Cache
            RonBoyd Community Member

Yeah, I understand the SSHD is too small but that is what was installed when I purchased this $1,200 computer.

Anyway, according to Bridge's Preference menu, the cache is found at "%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Bridge CC\Cache." That location is not found at any of the Registry locations cited in the article. Furthermore, a Search of the entire Registry fails to find it either.

The right-click on the Computer icon was similarly unproductive. (Could easily have been caused by my not being sure of what I was suppose to do.)

I suspect that the solution lies along this path but I don't know how to change whatever it is that points Bridge to that particular folder.

Surely, I am not the only one who has run into this situation. (I am unsure but I don't believe the Bridge installation program gave me an option of which drive on which to install -- but it would have been very unusual for me not to choose a drive other than C:\.)

• 3. Re: Bridge Cache
              Ronald Keller Community Member

You can set the path in Bridge Preferences > Cache

• 4. Re: Bridge Cache
                RonBoyd Community Member

Did you actually try that? When I try it: The "Choose" button doesn't give me an option to choose a Drive -- only a different Folder on Drive C:\ -- and the "Make New Folder" does exactly that... creates a new folder within the original (and unwanted) Folder.

So please explain exactly what I am missing about the Bridge/Preferences procedure.

• 5. Re: Bridge Cache
                  Curt Y Community Member

Should work as advertised.  Do you see the entire computer drive hieracry in Bridge Folders Panel?  If not reboot computer.

• 6. Re: Bridge Cache
                    RonBoyd Community Member

I am unsure where you mean by the "Bridge Folders Panel"? Do you mean within Bridge/Preferences? If so, I do not and I have rebooted the computer several times over the past week with no change in this behaviour.

• 7. Re: Bridge Cache
                      Curt Y Community Member

When you click on edit/preferences/cache and then select Browse for cache file location you should see the entire computer file hierachy just like you see if you open Win. Exp.  You should also see this same list if you look in the Panel labeled Folders.  If you do not have folders click on View and check Folders.

• 8. Re: Bridge Cache
                        Ronald Keller Community Member

Yes, my cache is on my K drive

17-09-2013 10-03-25.jpg

• 9. Re: Bridge Cache
                          RonBoyd Community Member

Well, there's the problem. In the Preferences menu, I don't have access to the complete hierarchy (I can, of course, expand the User Folder).

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Folders.JPG

Cache.JPG

• 10. Re: Bridge Cache
                            RonBoyd Community Member

Let add that this is the same behavior exhibited by Bridge on my laptop. As mentioned earlier, I am using the CC version... in case that is important.

• 11. Re: Bridge Cache
                              Curt Y Community Member

You need to see the same view that Ronald Keller sees to make this work.

What OS are you using?  32 or 64 bit?    I see (Main-Vista) are you using Vista?  This may be a problem if so.

Where do you want the cache to go?

• 12. Re: Bridge Cache
                                RonBoyd Community Member

It (both machines, actually) is Windows 8, 64 bit . (The Main-vista Folder is on a networked computer that is, in fact, a Vista OS machine but is not part of this situation other than that.)

I agree. There is something wrong with my Bridge program -- well, "wrong" in the sense that it does not match Ronald Keller's view (choices).

I want the cache to be anywhere but on the C:\ drive -- perhaps G:\Bridge Cache would be a good place since that drive is where all (most) of my programs are installed.

• 13. Re: Bridge Cache
                                  RonBoyd Community Member

Oh! I just remembered that I still have Bridge CS6 installed on this machine... and guess what? The Preferences/Cache matches Ronald Keller's view. I was, of course, able to successfully change the Folder to "G:\Bridge Cache."

So is the problem with the CC version or with my machine(s)? Hmmmmmm.

• 14. Re: Bridge Cache
                                    Curt Y Community Member

I don't see G on your list above.  Is this a local drive or a networked drive?

There are some users that have experienced similar problems that have added the missing folder to the Favorites list and then everything is seen in list.  Try that.

• 15. Re: Bridge Cache
                                      RonBoyd Community Member

G:\ is the 4th one down. (This machine has two internal 2-TB drives in addition to the 128 GB SSD -- G:\ is one of them.)

I added the Folder to Favorites with no joy. I closed Bridge and restarted it... still no joy.

• 16. Re: Bridge Cache
                                        Curt Y Community Member

Read through these two similar threads and see if you can pick up any hints. 

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4776331

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1001556

• 17. Re: Bridge Cache
                                          Curt Y Community Member

The  xxx1556 link was the one I was thinking of but instead remembered it as Favorites.

• 18. Re: Bridge Cache
                                            RonBoyd Community Member

Yippy!!! That did it. Such a simple solution. Thank you very much for sticking with me on this.

• 19. Re: Bridge Cache
                                              Curt Y Community Member

For future readers with similar problems was it the 1556 to put a shortcut on desktop for drive?

Then mark it answered so others will know.

• 20. Re: Bridge Cache
                                                RonBoyd Community Member

Yes, it was the Desktop Shortcut that did the trick. I should add that this "fix" is, as Manuel said, very strange indeed. You direct Bridge to this shortcut via Preferences/Cache. However, after you restart Bridge, the location is changed from the Shortcut to the actual Folder and, thus, the whole hierarchy is listed. Weird.

• 21. Re: Bridge Cache
                                                  RonBoyd Community Member

How do I "mark it answered"?

(I marked my last Post "Correct." It that what you mean?)

• 22. Re: Bridge Cache
                                                    Curt Y Community Member

Yes, that works.  Normally you mark the post that has the answer.   Anyone reading the post will see this is the 1st post after the question and won't have to read the entire post to find solution, as least for the OP.   Oddly enough the same solution will not work for everyone.

You must be on e-mail response as Helpful and Correct are a little more difficult to flag I believe.