5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 13, 2013 11:17 AM by A.T. Romano

saving subclips possible?

gsridout

I'm trying to breakdown large amounts of video (splitting and saving clips from a season worth of sports footage to make a highlight tape) using premiere elements 11.  Is there any way to save subclips into the media bin/library or does that feature only come with Pro?  I'd like to be able to cut up video in the timeline and add a clip directly into a bin to use later.  Thanks!

• 1. Re: saving subclips possible?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You can output segments from your video project by setting the Work Area Bar over the segment you want to output and selecting the proper option from Publish & Share/Computer. (Which option you select depends on whether you're outputting your segments for use in a standard definition/DVD project or a high-def/BluRay project.)

Is that what you're trying to do?

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: saving subclips possible?
            A.T. Romano Level 7

gsridout

Yes, when trimming video in the Preview Window (Set In/Set Out points), you can save a copy for Project Assets (subclip) as well as have a copy on the Expert workspace Timeline.

Please check out my blog post on this topic.

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/06/pe11-project-assets-organization-for.html

If you have any questions or need clarification re: what I have written, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you.

ATR

• 3. Re: saving subclips possible?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

gsridout

I did not see SG's post until after I had posted mine. We seem to have made a different interpretation of your question.

From what you wrote, I believe I have targeted your question.

What I have described has worked for other users as well as myself. If necessary, I will post the link to a thread here where

the user used the process described successful.

With what I have described, the subclips are embedded in Project Assets in the project in which they were created.

My blog post cited will define what I am suggesting with text and graphics explanations.

ATR

• 4. Re: saving subclips possible?
                gsridout Level 1

Thank you both for your input. 

SG: I will have appox 100+ segments that i would have to output so i was trying to avoid having to do this individually everytime i wanted to save a 4 second clip. 

ATR:  When i click and drag the preview window (with in adn out points already set) over to assets it is still copying the entire video and not just what i have set the in/out points to.  

***I would ideally like to watch the video in the timeline, split as I go along, and click and drag into various folders.  I've only used final cut pro in the past where this I could do this seamlessly so just trying to find a good paralell in PE11.

Thanks again. 

• 5. Re: saving subclips possible?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

gsridout

Thanks for the follow up.

You can achieve the end results as I have suggested. Did you read the details for doing that in my blog post?

The only place where I can see that we are not connecting is on the fine points of

I would ideally like to watch the video in the timeline, split as I go along, and click and drag into various folders.

The various folders in my scheme would be Project Assets folders containing your trimmed clips (subclip version), not folders on the hard drive for your subclips. And, you know that you can expand the Preview Window to great a large view as you view and trim your clips.

We will be watching for your progress. Please excuse and let me know if I have misinterpreted the core of what you seek.

Thank you.

ATR