1 2 Previous Next 55 Replies Latest reply on Feb 1, 2017 12:45 PM by davidc98376944

Published service from Lightroom to Behance

the boston artist Level 1

It seems the only option in Lightroom with regard to published services to Behance, is "work in progress" which seems a bit restrictive.  Is there a plug-in for Lr or Be that allows one to publish and export PROJECTS as well?

• 1. Re: Published service from Lightroom to Behance
          sarahktrapp1 Adobe Employee

Hello - currently, you can only post from Lightroom to Behance as a WIP (work in progress), not a project. We will consider this for future upgrades!

• 2. Re: Published service from Lightroom to Behance

Thanks very much for your response.  Just as an aside from those of us out in the field, so to speak.  I have been a professional photographer for 22 years, and have been using Lr since the first version was public.  The behance publish as WIP has no legitimate use for 99.9% of professional photographers in the real world.  The publish as - or to PROJECTS - however, would be tremendously useful.  I have spoken to dozens of other professional photographers about this issue and agreement is unanimous.  The only people using it in its current state are doing so in an effort to make some use of it, simply because it’s there.  However, as stated above, for 99.9% of professional photographers, it currently has no value.

Thanks again for your time and consideration.

Ben

• 3. Re: Published service from Lightroom to Behance

Hi Ben - I really appreciate that insight, I will certainly pass it along to our product team. I agree, and we've been getting this kind of feedback, so it's something we're taking very seriously when considering our product roadmap. Stay tuned!

• 4. Re: Published service from Lightroom to Behance
                blair.goforth1 Level 1

Is there any sort of a timeline on this? I agree with everything Ben said. The "Work in Progress" feature might be useful to designers, graphic artists, etc. but it is completely useless to photographers. Even an option to move a current WIP to a project would be helpful. The current answer to this question that suggests linking a WIP to a project is equally frustrating. I'm a new-ish photographer and Behance is a great option for not only networking with other creatives but also for displaying your work in a professional manner. The integration to Adobe Creative Cloud is also what brought me to and made me eager about using this service as a means of publishing my work. I had hoped that Behance would reduce the number of steps to publishing to an online site (ie. no need to resize, save a new file of the resized version etc) but because there is no way to either a) create projects and publish them through Lightroom/Photoshop or b) move a finished WIP into a Project

Is there any chance that this will be fixed in the near future?

• 5. Re: Published service from Lightroom to Behance

Hi Blair - I don't currently have a timeline on when these features might be added. We'll keep you in the loop as we get more information! I understand the urgency and appreciate you letting us know your thoughts on this.

• 6. Re: Published service from Lightroom to Behance
                    rjmas Level 1

I agree with everything Ben posted. Is there any news on the progress of this effort?

Rick

• 7. Re: Published service from Lightroom to Behance
                      Dave Rosser Level 1

Another here who finds WIP in Behance a waste of time, I guess even more true for us "Advanced" Amateurs/Enthusiasts than Pros.  Pro-site is great and I use it for my web site but it would be a lot more useful if I could link projects for it direct to Lightroom.

• 8. Re: Published service from Lightroom to Behance
                        TheHoaryHound Level 1

It's truly insane that there is no way to publish from LR to a "Project".  Come on!!  This is nuts!

If we could publish to a "Project" in Behance, and then have Behance sync with ProSite, then this product would be functional.

As it is.... useful as a way to get feedback via WIP, but nearly useless as a way to publish a portfolio.  Who wants to upload the old fashioned way when we should be able to use LR's "Publish" feature?

Behance and ProSite seem like a cludged together project.  Still a WIP I guess.

Adobe:  Please add a "Publish to Project" or "Publish to ProSite" app for Lightroom.

Thanks.

• 9. Re: Published service from Lightroom to Behance
                          TheHoaryHound Level 1

also, how does this all fit in with Creative Cloud?

It's all extraordinarily confusing, non-intuitive, and poorly integrated.

I hope it gets a makeover soon!

PS--Sorry to be so negative.  I really love LR, and I even love the subscription service for LR and PS.  I was looking forward to everything integrating with a nice online presence to make a full web workflow, but this is really not pretty.

• 10. Re: Published service from Lightroom to Behance
                            Dave Rosser Level 1

Well Creative Cloud does give a sort of kludgy workround.  Export from Lightroom to creative Cloud, then go into Behance and start a new project from which you can import the pictures you have saved to Creative Cloud.

• 11. Re: Published service from Lightroom to Behance

Well, I completely understand the enormity of task with regard to Adobe getting to software issues, it must be mind boggling.  Moreover, there must be 10 things every user out there, with every single program - complains about or wants added, changed, modified, etc.  However, this is a function they decided to put into the Be/Lr workflow, so the work has mostly been done, yet it just makes no sense.  It’s one of those issues that when you look at it in the abstract you end up scratching your head and wondering “what were they thinking?”  After all, it’s Lr for heaven’s sake, a 99.9% photography tool, and anyone that’s done that for 5 minutes would see the incredible usefulness of the published service straight to projects in Be… and the utter useLESSness of  the WIP export - I don’t think that many other kinds of artists are exporting their work from Lr.  I recognized in an earlier post that OTHER artists would find the WIP aspect of Be as nice to have, but we’re talking about photographers and a photography tool (Lr to Be).  Not the least of which - I have many friends that are “code monkeys” and they have expressed to me a phone call between departments and 20 minutes of work would resolve this entire matter.  Therefore, I’m guessing this falls into a motivation problem.  Nevertheless, as thehorneyhound said, I too am a lover of Lr and the CC, it’s just a bit frustrating when such a simple feature, with enormous benefit, is neglected.

• 12. Re: Published service from Lightroom to Behance
                                TheHoaryHound Level 1

I'm certaintly glad that I'm not alone in my thinking about the LR/Behance integration (or, lack thereof).

It would really be great for Adobe to at least aknowledge the situation, and then give us a glimpse at the roadmap for the product integration.  Then we would have something to look forward to, and we would feel that our voice has been heard!

On another note, I decided to try the WIP workflow.  Problem is...this actually does not work with LR Publish, either!  As anyone who has taken these steps will quickly realize, you can't actually publish multiple versions of the same image and have them end up in the same WIP...they will each start their own WIP, and there is no way to combine them!!!  (please correct me if I'm wrong)

So, really, exporting to jpg's and then uploading is the only way to use even the WIP feature in Behance.  "Publish" to Behance serves no purpose whatsoever.

This would be the workflow, roughly:

1) Edit stuff in LR, get to a good place, then export a jpg and upload jpg to a WIP.  Get comments from the community.

2) repeat step (1) as needed

3) When you get something you like, then separately upload whichever JPG it was (if you remember) to a "Project".

4) Once you have the Project, manually link that project to the appropriate WIP (I haven't tried this, don't know if it works)

5) Once images are in a project, they will sync with ProSite (haven't tried this yet either)

Basically, you will be managing many, many JPG files independently from managing your images in LR. 

Is it worth the effort, or better to wait until the Behance/LR interface is cleaned up?  The only way to answer this question is to first know something about Adobe's timeline and roadmap for the integration.  Does anyone know this?

@Dave Rosser.... how do you upload from LR to Creative Cloud?  I haven't figured that out yet.  Is it possible that the feature is disabled at the moment? 

• 13. Re: Published service from Lightroom to Behance
                                  Dave Rosser Level 1

Assuming you have CC setup on your machine there will be CC directory. If you export to this directory that directory will be automatically synced to your CC space on the Adobe server. Behance projects can access your CC space on the server.

• 14. Re: Published service from Lightroom to Behance
                                    McN41R.uk Level 1

I think Adobe are utterly stupid to have such poor integration between Lightroom and Behance is Laughable, but I have to say it is to be expected.

Without being able to post to "Projects" this integration is Complete Waste of Time for all lightroom users.

If I continue to Lightroom > Behance (is Useless) . Behance ProSite (Is Useless)

I am not interested in any workrounds - This should just WORK!

• 15. Re: Published service from Lightroom to Behance
                                      TheHoaryHound Level 1

I'm starting to think that Adobe Lightroom is on a whole separate path for web integration.

Has anyone out there tried the new "synchronize folder" feature on the latest LR?  It actually works quite well, and all your raw photos from a folder will end up at http://lightroom.adobe.com/  You can then generate a link to privately share these with other people.  Also, I believe that any changes you make locally will continue to sync with the web version of your raw files.

Only problem is... there is no connection between this web storehouse and Behance or any of that stuff.

Maybe lightroom.adobe.com and Behance integration is on the roadmap, but who knows.  It would be great if Adobe would share a little more information....although perhaps they are involved with internal debates so they can't make too much public.

• 16. Re: Published service from Lightroom to Behance
                                        i-only-live-here Level 1

I agree, it should just work.  I'm glad I have not spent too much time trying to get this whole LR ->Behance -> ProSite dance working.  I have been using zenphoto for years but was looking for something simpler and figured if possible it would be nice to stay in the Adobe ecosystem. 

Way too much work.  ZenPhoto, while a bit primitive and requires hosting, is a far a simpler process.  Tweak photos, put in quick collection, export  to hard drive in a new folder with album / project as the name of the folder, save quick collection.  Convienently upon completion of export my FTP client is set to open and connect to my hosting account.  Drop the new folder in the correct spot and presto the days pics are published on my site in a new album. 

So, I can make a web galleries, slideshows and even books in LR but I can't make a Behance / ProSite Project?  I pity the poor programmers whose job it is to make all these unique products play nice together.

I was hoping the Behance / ProSite integration would save a couple of steps as well as the $2.00 a month I spend on hosting.  I enjoy taking pictures, not so much messing with them afterward.  Guess I'll have to wait a bit longer for the simplicity I seek. 

• 17. Re: Published service from Lightroom to Behance
                                          amynnasser Level 1

Well, good thing I read this post! This WIP is a waste of time I found as I was just trying to figure out how to get the files to a project. No Go!

Here's my take - I don't trouble shoot nor allow any services to waste my time. Either Adobe fix this or they pay back to each photographer using LR and Be a $5.00 fee every month till they fix the issue. Professionals for Professionals. They wanted us to use CC and integrated Be - well, that's the cost of doing business!

And Yes! I do charge back! Even when a credit card, bank, institution goes the road of taking my time as if it is my job to be sorting out the mess. And I've been paid back numerous times.

So put a list together here and send a bill.

• 18. Re: Published service from Lightroom to Behance
                                            javier1968 Level 1

Agree with all said, the feature is a waste of space until you are able to post to projects.

• 19. Re: Published service from Lightroom to Behance
                                              TheHoaryHound Level 1

Since we're on the topic of "integration", does anyone have thoughts on how Aviary will sit with LR Mobile, at least as pertains to the Android device?

I just downloaded Aviary for working with jpgs (and raws too, I think) on my Samsung tablet...it works great.  Beyond great, actually.  And of course, Adobe just bought Aviary.

So, what do you think... will Adobe integrate LR Mobile with Aviary, or will they be two standalone apps?

In my opinion, the best possible solution would be to integrate the two apps. Aviary would provide the basic UI and a set of basic functionality. LR Mobile would be an upgrade to Aviary+, or something like that.  Of course, I'm sure this is easier said than done... but it would be a worthy growth path I think.

TTH

• 20. Re: Published service from Lightroom to Behance
                                                TheHoaryHound Level 1

Hi Dave... well it looks about a whole year has gone by!!

I now have the need to try this again, so I was reading through the threads...

and, YES! Your method works just fine.  I'm not sure if other folks on this thread have seen this or not...

anyway, exporting to the Sync folder and then setting up a project that accesses the cloud sync folder seems to work just fine.

thanks

• 21. Re: Published service from Lightroom to Behance
                                                  gwen755 Level 1

Nothing changed since September 2013 ? Come on Adobe ! Please tell me this will be addressed soon !

• 22. Re: Published service from Lightroom to Behance
                                                    SarahBehance1 Adobe Employee (Admin)

Hi Julien - this should actually be fixed - are you still having trouble with this after updating to the latest version of Lightroom?

Let us know, thanks!

• 23. Re: Published service from Lightroom to Behance
                                                      gwen755 Level 1

Hi Sarah,

I've just updated to 5.7.1 (was 5.7) and I still can only publish in Work in Progress, I can't create a new project. Perhaps am I doing something wrong ?

• 24. Re: Published service from Lightroom to Behance
                                                        blair.goforth1 Level 1

Just updated to 5.7.1 and unless I'm doing something wrong it doesn't appear that this was fixed. The only option I have is to publish to "Works in Progress."

• 25. Re: Published service from Lightroom to Behance

Hello - yes, that's correct! The integration we have for Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, and Lightroom is to publish your work as a Work In Progress, not as a Project.

Feel free to upload a project directly to Behance.net if this is your goal.

• 26. Re: Published service from Lightroom to Behance
                                                            rjmas Level 1

Sarah, how about reading the actual issue brought up in the thread. Our issue is having NO option to upload PROJECTS from Lightroom. So this most recent reply from you is of no help. "Feel free to upload a project directly to Behance.net if this is your goal."??? It hinders workflow. It forces us to save images out and take up additional space on our hard drives. We can upload directly to 500px, Facebook, Flickr, yet we cannot upload projects/collections to Behance. Adobe needs to get with the program. As photographers, we could care less about work in progress modes; our work in progress is taking place as we edit and catalog our photographs. What we want to share is the final product. And some acknowledgement and/or movement by Adobe would be greatly appreciated.

• 27. Re: Published service from Lightroom to Behance
                                                              blair.goforth1 Level 1

I'm sorry, but what? So what you're saying is that this actually hasn't been fixed. The people posting in this thread want to be able to publish PROJECTS from Lightroom to their Behance account. Lightroom is a tool for photographers and Work In Progress is 100% USELESS to photographers. I'm sorry, but the only images I want people seeing on my site are the ones that are finished and edited. I have zero interest in showing how I remove dust spots and then adjust white balance, exposure, etc. I get how Work In Progress could be useful for graphic designers and other artists, but no professional photographer just puts RAW images or images in the process of being edited. I'm not trying to be rude, but did you even read the entire thread? A problem is pretty clearly outlined in this thread and you claimed that it was fixed when it actually wasn't. In fact, you just showed that nothing has been done about this, and probably won't be done at all. I'm so glad Behance is thinking of everyone using their services.

• 28. Re: Published service from Lightroom to Behance
                                                                gwen755 Level 1

Ok so Adobe doesn't care about customer feedback. This has been asked 2 and a half year ago ! Behance is part of Adobe, don't tell it is that complicated to implement. Don't get me wrong, I don't say it's easy, but it can't take 2 and half year.

• 29. Re: Published service from Lightroom to Behance

Hi everyone - very sorry for the confusion, I absolutely should have started at the beginning of the thread to understand the full context of the discussion.

The feature request you're referring to - the ability to publish a Project directly from the Adobe apps as opposed to Works-in-Progress - has been made clear to our product team, and is something they're aware of. I'm sorry that I don't have more details to give on the process of how feature requests are handled, but what we do know is that the way the product team thinks about Projects is that they should be polished, finished pieces with a contextual intro, potentially captions on the images, and more. We don't want the easy "share to Behance" workflow to encourage users to publish projects of a single image, or a set of images with no context or additional information. The "share to Behance" feature is a better fit for WIP, which is why the Product Team made this decision.

However, we fully understand that you're frustrated by this workflow, and I'll make sure to bring this feedback to the product team to let them know how much the Photographer Community would appreciate the ability to publish Projects directly from within Lightroom.

Thanks for your feedback and sorry for the mis-interpretation of the original question on my part!

• 30. Re: Published service from Lightroom to Behance
                                                                    TheHoaryHound Level 1

Just need to say, publish to WIP does not work correctly either.

If you publish from LR to a Behance WIP...at first everything seems fine.

Then, if you publish an update to that WIP... it uploads as a new separate

WIP, and is not attached to the previous file.

This defeats the whole purpose.

NOTE: This is how it (didn't) work a few months ago.  I'm assuming nothing

has changed but please correct me if I'm mistaken.

On Thu Feb 05 2015 at 10:29:37 AM SarahBehance1 <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 31. Re: Published service from Lightroom to Behance
                                                                      TheHoaryHound Level 1

Also... I'm sure you'll get plenty of feedback on your comment... but the

product team really should speak with some photographers out here. I don't

think they fully understand the workflow. If they really want to discourage

publishing to projects, then why not disable publishing via creative cloud?

It's just as simple to do it that way, just much harder for the

photographer to keep track of all the files.

• 32. Re: Published service from Lightroom to Behance
                                                                        blair.goforth1 Level 1

"We don't want the easy "share to Behance" workflow to encourage users to publish projects of a single image, or a set of images with no context or additional information. The "share to Behance" feature is a better fit for WIP, which is why the Product Team made this decision."

I don't agree with this statement from your reply at all. What about what's a better fit for the people actually using Behance? Publishing from LR to Flickr works beautifully since you're allowed to either create a Photoset (which is basically the equivalent of a Behance project, and you can name it so that there is some "context" that is apparently VERY necessary) or you can just upload to your photostream and then edit things like title, caption, tags,or  move to an existing set that may have not been created via Lightroom publishing either on your Flickr site OR on their app (editing in the Behance App is also not available ... another rant for another thread). I don't understand what you consider to be "context" or why it is so important. While I may name my images, I certainly don't really feel the need to provide a caption about them (maybe about the project overall, but not every single image). Why can't we just upload our images using the filename and change it to something more fitting on our Behance site after uploading? I agree with what others have said. Try actually getting some input from photographers on what would make this a better process. If you're not going to make publishing to Behance from LR an easy process then why even make this option available in Lightroom when it's clearly designed to cater to a group that doesn't use Lightroom (graphic designers and other artists).

• 33. Re: Published service from Lightroom to Behance
                                                                          rjmas Level 1

Sarah, if they could work something into the plugin that requires more than one image or three or more images, etc., I think it will emphasize publishing a collection that, in the photography world, translates to a project. Speaking for myself - and I doubt I am alone about this - I want to take advantage of the exposure Behance provides, as well as the Prosite subscription that is included in the Photography package. It would be an ENORMOUS ability to publish collections/projects directly to Behance, thereby also bring those publications live on Prosite - all seamlessly via various settings in the Lightroom plugin.

After all, Lightroom is for photographers.

• 34. Re: Published service from Lightroom to Behance
                                                                            TheHoaryHound Level 1

Just want to post this for other users who are struggling with getting projects uploaded from LR to Behance, and from there on to ProSite.

Dave Rosser's method is the way to go... at least for now.  Forget about Publish & WIP.

Here's the quick rundown:

1) Create a new LR collection. Put in all the images you want for a project

2) Select all the images

3) "Export" them to the directory on your computer that is linked with Creative Cloud

...(obviously, you'll first need to set up creative cloud on your machine... not a huge deal)...

A good idea here is to let LR create a new folder for each export session

4) Go into Behance, start a new project, and select "Import files from Creative Cloud" during the project creation process. You'll be able to select the folder you created above.  You will also need to select a "cover image" for the project. For some reason this must be uploaded separately.

5) You then need to select each file individually during the project creation in Behance, and then they are all added to the Project.

The biggest deterrent here is actually figuring out how to use Behance and ProSite. It's definitely not user friendly, but OK once you finally get it worked out.  On another forum someone described the experience as "first navigating around the antarctic, then returning to Behance". Fairly close I think.

As yes, I agree, using the "Publish" feature in LR would be much more elegant... but the workflow as described above works quite well.  One recommendation: Keep your JPG's small (just something that works well on a screen)... that will keep your export folder small and at the same time it will prevent poaching of your full resolution images.

• 35. Re: Published service from Lightroom to Behance
                                                                              TheHoaryHound Level 1

Blair, I didn't realize that you can upload directly to a photoset in Flickr. Do the images also appear in the regular photostream? 

Thanks for the tip...I'll need to check that out.

• 36. Re: Published service from Lightroom to Behance
                                                                                Dominikz Level 1

That would be highly appreciated, it would be nice to track pictures in LR, uploaded to a project in Behance.

• 37. Re: Published service from Lightroom to Behance
                                                                                  sky4u0 Level 1

I am glad I read through this - doesn't work for me either.

• 38. Re: Published service from Lightroom to Behance

Wow, I just realized it was two years ago this month, as a few members have pointed out, that I first posted this issue with Adobe (Behance) - username at the time: “Ben.”  There have been several excellent remarks and quite a few valid additional points brought up since then.  I have to admit that as much as I love Adobe, (I spend about 12 hours a day in front of Lightroom and/or Photoshop most days of the week) - I’m beyond dismayed at the level of Adobe’s particular obliviousness and apathy here.

So, it’s been two-years since this issue was brought to the attention of the “Behance team,” hmmm.  I think this is important to rehash because that’s TWO YEARS for a company that does this stuff for a living, two more years of social media evolution, and two more years of Adobe acquiring God only knows how much more in human and financial resources; two years just to ascertain the fact that this really isn’t one of those “lets take a look at this ostensible problem and see if it merits further address?”  No, this is one of those issues that falls under the category of “OMG, this is crazy, how could we have possibly missed the fact that these particular customers are PHOTOGRAPHERS… and this grand-canyon sized oversight is in OUR OWN published service inside ‘Lightroom.’”  Again, that’s LIGHTROOM… as a previous member pointed out, we’re ALL photographers, who else uses Lightroom?  And what on earth, as yet again another insightful member pointed out, would a photographer need with a WIP publishing function?

Moving on, the only way this can sit here and lag for two-years without so much as a tickle would be if there isn’t actually even a Behance team in existence, except for poor Sarah who has to answer forum questions regarding a feature omission that’s indefensible… or they’ve all been on administrative leave for two-years.  Actually, come to think of it - with the myriad upgrades, tweaks, new features, etc., that are constantly coming down to Ps and Lr within the CC, I can’t remember the last time ANYTHING changed with Behance.  What exactly are these guys doing?

As yet even another member pointed out, every Tom, Dick and Harry out there seems to be able to build this type of feature into their FREE software, plug-in or app.  Yet, ADOBE needs to take YEARS to even decide if the matter should be addressed, let alone implemented.  Okay, seriously… do photographers need or want to PUBLISH THEIR WORK TO THEIR WEBSITES OR ADOBE SOCIAL MEDIA/NETWORK???  Hmm, must really need to think on that one!  Lets ask Smugmug, or Flickr, or Google or...  We’re talking about published services inside Lightroom, what else is it for?  And how many other plug-ins are available to do this with other services?  One would almost think it would actually require additional code just to configure the Lightroom/Behance CC connection to NOT publish to a project.  Yet, the only thing I can glean from Adobe’s comments on the matter, and even then it’s from reading between the lines that are between the lines… is that it’s posing some sort of extraordinary difficulty to bring this insanely simply process to fruition.  Okay, excuse me, but I think I am missing something huge here.  Are you, or are you not the guys that created PHOTOSHOP?

Finally, I would like to point out that this matter is such a no-brainer (Adobe please pay attention to this) that many of the poor members who came into this topic late in the game, actually thought and commented/inquired about when this “problem/issue” was going to be FIXED.  It’s such an absolutely inconceivable thought that this “feature” would be altogether MISSING from the structure and GUI of the published services function, that members were inquiring as to when it was going to be repaired, and (understandably) didn’t even get the far-fetched concept that Adobe didn’t even have the presence of mind to put it in the app/plug-in in the first place.

What more can be said?

• 39. Re: Published service from Lightroom to Behance

And to add to what Dave said above:

...to anyone reading this post that is very new to Behance / Lightroom.  There is at least one alternative posted in this thread by a member, and I will briefly list the one I have been using since the beginning.  I’m not sure how relatively easy mine is compared to many others, as I have been using this same method all long.  This method uses the published service interface in Lightroom, also… and is pretty straight forward.

1.  Create a new “hard-disk” published service in Lightroom, name it Behance.  This will allow you to make all the settings you should and wish you could use when publishing straight to Behance, but can’t .  If it’s a photo make it a jpeg, don’t forget to set to sRGB if it isn’t defaulted there… and lastly set size to 8000 kb.  I am pretty sure that is close to the limit for Behance.

2.  A good trick here might be to save this hard-drive export to your creative cloud account (such as via your finder on a Mac) if not you can drag and drop it there if you like (if you have the CC membership) - this way you can at least (sort of) pretend Behance isn’t spoiling your Creative Cloud sharing experience with their inability to post a project straight from Lightroom.

3.  Now just go to your Behance account online and when you’re making a new project select the online photo uploader and then go to your newly saved folder or files, either on your hard drive or the CC.  You can grab all of them at once (Shift-click method) and hit upload and they’ll all upload to Behance as per your hard-disk Behance published service specifications.

1 2 Previous Next