4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 13, 2013 1:29 PM by Rich Locus

How To Import .THM Files Into Premiere Pro CS5

Rich Locus Level 1

Hello:

I just purchased a Canon Vixia HFM50.  When I use the presets, there is support for the AVCHD format.  The file extension for the AVCHD format from the Canon is *.THM.  Yet, that file type is not recognized.  How do I import it?

Regards,

Rich Locus

• 1. Re: How To Import .THM Files Into Premiere Pro CS5
          Vinay Dwivedi Adobe Employee

Hi Rich Locus,

Thanks for your post.  THM is an image file format for thumbnails. Images are made smaller for browsing purposes, usually because it is easier to view and takes less time to load.

THM files can be viewed by most image preview or editing programs on both Macs and PCs. THM files are similar to .JPEG files, and those .

THM files representing image files can usually be converted to JPEG format by changing the name of the file from .THM to .JPEG or .JPG.

THM files can also be used by videos. When extracting a video file from a camcorder, a thumbnail will be created to represent the video, usually taken from the video’s first frame.

The .THM file will then have the same name as the .AVI file that it represents. With Canon-created video files, the .THM file also contains the metadata for the video, and therefore needs to remain with and have the same name as the .AVI file. Please update if changing the extension of the file works.

Regards,

Vinay

• 2. Re: How To Import .THM Files Into Premiere Pro CS5
            Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Avchd is mts or m2ts.

Just copy ALL content from memory or card to Hard Disk then ingest via Media Browser or import in Project Window.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: How To Import .THM Files Into Premiere Pro CS5
              Rich Locus Level 1

Vinay:

Thanks for helping me understand that the THM file was NOT what I thought it was   The MTS file was on the card, but in the "PRIVATE" directory.

Regards,

Rich Locus

• 4. Re: How To Import .THM Files Into Premiere Pro CS5
                Rich Locus Level 1

Ann:

Thanks for clarifying this for me.  I used your method and Premiere was able to drill down to the proper directory to find the MTS file.  You and Vinay both answered different portions of my question.

Regards,

Rich Locus