16 Replies Latest reply on Sep 17, 2013 6:37 AM by four waters media

my InD docs auto-expand from the dock — how can i stop it?

four waters media

why do my InD docs auto-expand from the dock when i close an active InD doc or make InD the active app (tabbing through dock apps) — and more importantly, how can i make it stop. its driving me crazy.

• 1. Re: my InD docs auto-expand from the dock — how can i stop it?
          Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I find your description very confusing. I really have no idea what you're talking about. What does it mean to say a document "auto-expands from the dock"

Do you mean the Dock on a Macintosh where there are icons for applications, files and folders? Do you mean the dock of panels found on the right side of InDesign?

What operating System? What version of InDesign? A screeen capture would be helpful, thanks.

• 2. Re: my InD docs auto-expand from the dock — how can i stop it?
            four waters media Level 1

if i close an InDesign document — and i have others open in my dock — one of them will automatically expand on to my desktop.

so if i close the document on which i am currently working, and want to open a totally new document — i first have to deal with the document that has automatically expanded to fill my desktop.

as long as InD documents are docked, they automatically expand to fill my desktop, when i close or select InD, and i have to close or re-dock them if they are not what i want to be working on at the time.

is that clearer?

(i don't know how one would put a document in the tools panel)

four waters

PRESIDENT

four waters media, inc.

916/743-2782 I cell

concept  I  messaging strategies  I  design

Say what you mean. Mean what you say.

facebook.com/FourWatersMedia

• 3. Re: my InD docs auto-expand from the dock — how can i stop it?

Does anyone have a way to assist me here, or is this just something i have to live with?

if i close an InDesign document — and i have others open in my dock — one of them will automatically expand on to my desktop.

so if i close the document on which i am currently working, and want to open a totally new document — i first have to deal with the document that has automatically expanded to fill my desktop.

as long as InD documents are docked, they automatically expand to fill my desktop, when i close or select InD, and i have to close or re-dock them if they are not what i want to be working on at the time.

is that clearer?

(i don't know how one would put a document in the tools panel)

four waters

PRESIDENT

four waters media, inc.

916/743-2782 I cell

• 4. Re: my InD docs auto-expand from the dock — how can i stop it?
                BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Nobody can help you based on that description. It's confusing and very unclear.

Perhaps you can post some screenshots.

• 6. Re: my InD docs auto-expand from the dock — how can i stop it?

i don't know what i would screen shot?

this is an action; a file expands from the dock. how would i take a picture of that?

i'm not sure why this is so confusing — its just annoying.

when i open, select, or in any way highlight InDesign, InDesign documents auto-expand from my dock. if i in any way select InDesign to create a new document, any of open InDesign documents (which i had earlier docked) auto-expand to fill my screen; i either need to re-dock or close them.

i don't know how to take a picture of expanding documents, or why that would be helpful.

four waters

PRESIDENT

four waters media, inc.

916/743-2782 I cell

• 7. Re: my InD docs auto-expand from the dock — how can i stop it?

see prior response.

i see no other way to describe what is happening.

and i don't see how taking screen capture of a document expanding from the dock would be at all useful.

four waters

PRESIDENT

four waters media, inc.

916/743-2782 I cell

• 8. Re: my InD docs auto-expand from the dock — how can i stop it?

The only way a file would wind up in your dock is if you're not using

the application frame have the documents floating.

• 9. Re: my InD docs auto-expand from the dock — how can i stop it?

correct.

i dock a file. i go to another app and use it for something (illustrator). then i want to create a new InD document. i select InDesign (usually by tabbing through open apps), then the document i put into the dock earlier auto-expands. which means i have to close (or re-dock it) before creating the new document for which i selected InDesign. if i close the document that auto expanded, then if i have any others in the dock, they too will auto-expand — forcing me to re-dock or close all open (and docked) InDesign documents.

four waters

PRESIDENT

four waters media, inc.

916/743-2782 I cell

• 10. Re: my InD docs auto-expand from the dock — how can i stop it?
                          Sandee Cohen Adobe Community Professional

Try setting this preference in your Macintosh System Preferences (not InDesign preferences) to OFF.

system prefs.png

• 11. Re: my InD docs auto-expand from the dock — how can i stop it?

that's not really the problem.

clearly few others have encountered this.

1. i open an InD document and make edits.

2. i get an email from a client who'd like edits made in an illustrator file.

3. i place the current InD document i've been working on, into the dock — I DO NOT CLOSE INDESIGN

4. i tab thru my OPEN apps, and highlight illustrator; i open the Illus doc, make the edit, send the proof.

5. i get a NEW request to make a flyer from scratch.

6. i tabbed through my OPEN apps and select IND.

7. i hit command-N, but before the "new document box can open" —

7. the document i had originally worked on, and previously docked, automatically expands from the dock and becomes active. if i close this document, and there others i had previously worked and then placed in the dock, those expand as well. i have to deal with EVERY InD document (because they have not automatically expanded and become active) before i can create a new document.

i have stopped docking my InDesign documents. i close them and re-open them as i need them. its not worth the trouble. but its supper annoying — especially if i'm working on several things at once, which is usually the case.

four waters

PRESIDENT

four waters media, inc.

916/743-2782 I cell

• 12. Re: my InD docs auto-expand from the dock — how can i stop it?

sorry… there was a typo and since this has been so difficult to explain clearly…

7. the document i had originally worked on, and previously docked, automatically expands from the dock and becomes active. if i close this document, and there others i had previously worked and then placed in the dock, those expand as well. i have to deal with EVERY InD document (because they have now automatically expanded and become active) before i can create a new document.

four waters

PRESIDENT

four waters media, inc.

916/743-2782 I cell

• 13. Re: my InD docs auto-expand from the dock — how can i stop it?

Try using the application frame and tabbed documents.

• 14. Re: my InD docs auto-expand from the dock — how can i stop it?

thank you. that's a work-around option certainly.

four waters

PRESIDENT

four waters media, inc.

916/743-2782 I cell

• 15. Re: my InD docs auto-expand from the dock — how can i stop it?
                                    Michael Gianino Level 4

A side issue: most people are not comfortable showing their cell phone number on a public forum. This sometimes happens when replying to the forum via email without the user realizing. Unless you would like your personal info out there for anyone to see, you should edit or remove your signature information when replying. If you like, a moderator can remove that information from this thread.

• 16. Re: my InD docs auto-expand from the dock — how can i stop it?

thank you. a good point.

four waters

PRESIDENT

four waters media, inc.