8 Replies Latest reply on Sep 14, 2013 11:31 AM by A.T. Romano

generic error

RaquelPaz

While downloading a song I'm getting a message "The importer reported a generic error

• 1. Re: generic error
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What kind of song, from where?

Is it a copy protected iTunes song?

For future reference, when asking a question...

These questions below may be for a different product... but the kind of information you need to supply is the same, for the products you use

More information needed for someone to help... please click below and provide the requested information

-Information FAQ http://forums.adobe.com/message/4200840

• 2. Re: generic error
            A.T. Romano Level 7

RaquelPaz

What version of Premiere Elements are you using and on what computer operating system is it running?

What are the properties of this downloaded song...audio compression, file extension, protected or unprotected?

How are you importing the song into the project...Add Media or Get Media/Files and Folders or other?

Is this the first time that you have downloaded a song with the properties that this one has? Or, have you downloaded

the same audio before from the same source and had no problems getting it into Premiere Elements?

Definitely more details need to troubleshoot your issue.

Looking forward to your follow up.

Thank you.

ATR

• 3. Re: generic error
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I'm with John. This definitely sounds like the poster is trying to use a copy-protected iTunes song in his project.

• 4. Re: generic error
                A.T. Romano Level 7

SG

Could be, but we will not know for sure (maybe) until RaquelPaz follow ups.

Please refer to the February 2013 thread here where there was never a definitive answer re: generic error/iTunes music) in spite of all John's, Hunt's, and your contributions to the thread that followed along the iTune protected drill.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/5095736

ATR

• 5. Re: generic error

Yes "coach" last posted in February, and never came back with final results... oh well, maybe the person with the question here will reply with the solution for this question

• 6. Re: generic error
                    RaquelPaz Level 1

I finally had to purchase a software to convert files to MP3 in order to download music into my project.  Some of my albums are purchased from iTune and some CDs.  I have created other projects before with no problems but I had to replace my hard drive and lost a lot of programs and drivers.

My system is Windows 7 and I’m using Premiere Elements 11

• 7. Re: generic error

>had to replace my hard drive and lost a lot of programs and drivers

If you don't have one, buy a USB hard drive and make a full "image" copy of your boot drive to external drive so you may restore everything (to the same size hard drive) in case of another hardware failure

The product I use is at http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/image-for-linux.htm

Image runs off of a bootable CD via Linux (the Zip you download includes a program to make the bootable CD) and it reads EVERYTHING on the drive, even the hidden registration information, so everything is restored when needed... and you may restore the image to a brand new drive in case of a crash, and not have to re-install anything

• 8. Re: generic error
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

RaquelPaz

We are pleased that you identified a workaround in order to use your iTune music.

An alternative route rather than purchasing a converter for the task, might be found in this Apple Forum discussion.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4788743?start=0&tstart=0

More details might give us more insights into what you were dealing with. But, since you have resolved your issue, I will not pursue them. But, if you decide to revisit the matter, please supply more details re: formats and such.

Continuing success with your Premiere Elements projects.

Thank you.

ATR