3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 17, 2013 1:03 PM by JoaoCP

Place and link

Faderskepp

'ellow,

I'v run into a problem with the "place and link" function. (Edit > Place and link).
      This allows you to place an object linked to another - in such a way that if the parent object is edited, then so is the child.

I had the intention of using this function for making a photobook template with linked object frames for diffrent layouts (as this would make it easy for my colleuges without propper Id-knowhow to also produce photobooks).

This works as intended on my master-pages.

Unfortunally it just wont play nice when one is working on actuall pages. The object frames still display a link-icon, but wont act on content placed in them.

;(

Any suggestion as to a work-around, or if this is a bug/"feature", or am I just doing it wrong?Screen Shot 2013-09-14 at 11.14.08 AM.png

Master page setup.

Screen Shot 2013-09-14 at 11.21.13 AM.png

ON MASTER: Placing image in a linked frame (at the bottom, in my slug) - content is then also automagicly (or well, atleast after updating the link) linked/filled on the page.

Screen Shot 2013-09-14 at 11.21.44 AM.png

ON PAGE: Placing image in a linked frame (at the bottom, in my slug) - content is then NOT propagated into any frame at all.

Message was edited by: Faderskepp, Added screenshots.

• 1. Re: Place and link
          Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

Is the layer locked?

• 2. Re: Place and link
            Faderskepp Level 1

No, it is not. :/

• 3. Re: Place and link
              JoaoCP Level 2

I don't know how exactly you're setting up your layout, but I wonder why your "linked" frames aren't surrounded by brackets in the Links panel.

Maybe the reason why it's not working is the method you're using to place the parent and children frames. Look at these screenshots to see how different operations bring different outputs:

1. This is the initial setting (notice that the Links panel show 7 instances of the image and 4 instances of the original frame):

place_and_link-1.png

2. This second screenshot was taken after I changed the size, shape and content of the parent frame, but before I updated the other frames. Now the Links panel has 1 instance of the new image, 6 instances of the old image and 4 instances of the linked frames. Notice the yellow triangles (or lack thereof) in the six copies of the original.

place_and_link-2.png

3. Finally, this is what happened after I update the frames. As you can see, the four linked frames (either in the page or in the master) inherited the size, shape and content of the original frame, which is located in the page (not the master). Actually,  this should work even if the original frame was located in a different document!

place_and_link-3.png

As you can see, the only situation in which the frames doesn't update is when you copy and paste the original frame, because doing this doesn't create a link between these copies and the original, it only duplicates de original frame; these copies are neither parents nor children of anything.

So, check your workflow and see whether you're using the place and link command in the correct way: select the original frame, call Place and Link, then use only the conveyor to place copies whenever you want.