9 Replies Latest reply on Sep 15, 2013 6:35 AM by JJMack

When I add my logo it is not translucent

Victor Nawrocki

title card HH.jpgthe logo is translucent- sometimes and other times not- there is a  setting I am missing somewhere.  It worked this morning then I could not get it to work

fail logo.jpg

• 1. Re: When I add my logo it is not translucent
          JJMack Most Valuable Participant

It looks like your logo is a jpeg which does not support transparency so it has a white background.   Blending the jpeg with some blending mode may hide the white.  If you have the PSD file with a transparent background place that file in instead of the jpeg or use the psd file to save a png file with transparent background.

• 2. Re: When I add my logo it is not translucent
            Victor Nawrocki Level 1

Thank you but - it is still happening?  Could it be I am making a new JPEG and that's why it woun't do it?Screen Shot 2013-09-14 at 7.14.08 PM.jpg

• 3. Re: When I add my logo it is not translucent
              Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional

The logo needs to be on its own layer in Photoshop with no white background if you are using PNG.  It should look like this with just the transparent BG showing behind the logo

png logo.JPG

You can also save as a GIF which will support transparency chosing which colour will be transparent, but only certain programs can use it.  Web browsers for instance.

• 4. Re: When I add my logo it is not translucent
                Victor Nawrocki Level 1

it doesn't.  The logo works fine on Final Cut. But as soon as I put it in a photo I can not make it transparent.  I know there is a setting I don't see,

• 5. Re: When I add my logo it is not translucent
                  Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional

It's very hard to offer advice when you don't answer questions. 

1. What format are you saving the file from Photoshop?
                  2. Did it have a transparent background when you saved it in Photoshop?
                  3. What application are you using to overlay the logo onto the photo?
                  • 6. Re: When I add my logo it is not translucent
                    Victor Nawrocki Level 1
                    1. What format are you saving the file from Photoshop?  PNG, TIFF
                    2. Did it have a transparent background when you saved it in Photoshop? Yes, it works in final cut.
                    3. What application are you using to overlay the logo onto the photo? I thought photoshop- I don't knoe the answer to that.
                    • 7. Re: When I add my logo it is not translucent

How many times do we need to tell you have a transparent background and save as PNG PNG PNG PNG PNG PNG PNG PNG PNG PNG PNG PNG PNG PNG PNG PNG PNG PNG PNG PNG PNG PNG PNG PNG PNG PNG PNG PNG PNG PNG PNG

Once again JPEG does NOT support transparency. Jpeg files will be a solid rectangle image.

When it comes down to it you have few choices for a transparent background. PSD, PSB, GIF, PNG.

When it come down to it GIF only sypports 256 mapped colors one color lets say white can be designated transparent leaving 255 non transparent solid colors.  Perhaps your Apple program is mapping your jpeg image's white to transparent.

• 8. Re: When I add my logo it is not translucent
                        Victor Nawrocki Level 1

Yes, that is why I say above it is saved as a PNG.  Please do not try to help me again.  Please do not try to help me again. Please do not try to help me again. Please do not try to help me again. Please do not try to help me again. Please do not try to help me again. Please do not try to help me again. Please do not try to help me again. Please do not try to help me again. Please do not try to help me again. Please do not try to help me again. Please do not try to help me again. Please do not try to help me again. Please do not try to help me again. Please do not try to help me again. Please do not try to help me again. Please do not try to help me again. Please do not try to help me again. Please do not try to help me again.

• 9. Re: When I add my logo it is not translucent

To have a transparent background in a PNG file you must have a transparent background before saving. Which means if your PSD file has a background layers which like Jpeg file do not support transparency so its transparence is locked. You must turn off the Background layer visibility to save a PGN with a transparent background.

PNG files do not have to have any transparence they can have transparency you must create the transparency.