8 Replies Latest reply on Sep 15, 2013 2:23 PM by Ronald Keller

Am I correct in thinking that photos worked on in PS CC wont open in CS6?

Dragoro21 Level 1

If so I might just switch back to CS6 instead of using my PS CC subscription.

• 1. Re: Am I correct in thinking that photos worked on in PS CC wont open in CS6?
          Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

No problem if you maximise file compatability in Preferences

CC file compatability.jpg

• 2. Re: Am I correct in thinking that photos worked on in PS CC wont open in CS6?
            Michael D Sullivan Level 3

And if you don't use any new features from CC, the files should open just fine with full manipulability in CS6, even without maximize compatibility.  If you use features like the ACR effect filter, you won't be able to edit that in CS6, and it's unclear whether you will even be able to open it or use the layer if it does open.  But if you maximize compatibility, there will, if nothing else, be an overall combined, flattened version of the image that you can open.

• 3. Re: Am I correct in thinking that photos worked on in PS CC wont open in CS6?
              Ronald Keller Level 4

Photoshop does not need maximize compatibility. This is meant for programs that don't understand layers.

You sure can open those files in CS6 and it reads the result of a new CC feature just fine but obviously it can't be edited because that CC feature is not present. However the layer can be edited with all the present capabilities.

I just tried it: in CC I applied a Camera Raw filter on a layer. Saved the file and opened in in CS6. Photoshop had no problem in reading the file and shows the applied filter.

But of course I can't go back to the filter as CS6 does not offer that possiblity. But the layer can be edited in every other way.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Am I correct in thinking that photos worked on in PS CC wont open in CS6?
                JJMack Most Valuable Participant

Ronald Keller wrote:

You sure can open those files in CS6 and it reads the result of a new CC feature just fine but obviously it can't be edited because that CC feature is not present. However the layer can be edited with all the present capabilities.

I can not believe that is true. For example lets say in cc you have a smart object layer.  Then add some smart filters to that smart object,  Camera shake,  New Smart Sharpen, and a little noise.

If you save with max compatibility the full resolution composite will be correct.  So you have something.

The smart object layers embedded object may be a image file some Photoshop layers some may not be supported by CS6.  For example a shape layers that has a option not in CS6.  I don't have cc so I don't know  if the is any new shape option. I know there were going from CS5 to CS6 like shape new stroke and stroke types etc. 

What can CS6 do when opening a CC PSD file when it come across this CC smart object layer with smart filters. One not in cs6 so not understood, one known to cs6 but with options not in CS6 and the noise filter as in cs6.  There may also be things in the embedded object CS6 can not understand.  I would think the layers pixels would be the embedded object composite pixels. These need to have the layers smart filters applied and then the layers transform.  How does CS6 materialize a layer for this CC Smart layer

Some Photoshop layers have no pixels they have data settings like text layers shape layers. From these setting pixels for the layer are generated. If an option used to generate the pixels does not exists you can not generate the pixels. Smart filters are applied in turn in order changing one may require the others to be reapplied.

• 5. Re: Am I correct in thinking that photos worked on in PS CC wont open in CS6?

Right if anything new is used maximum compatibility is required. I do not have cc so I tested between CS5 and CS6.

In CS6 I created a new document added a shape layer filled with a pattern and stroked outside with large red dots.

Save the document two ways one without maximum compatibility and the other with maximum compatibility.

When I opened these PSD in CS5 and got the message about unsupported feature. I replied to keep layers not to flatten.

The one with maximum compatibility I wound up with a raster layer the look correct with red dots around the pattern and transparency.

Its preview is correct.

The one without maximum compatibility I wound up with a pattern filled shape layer without the red dots.  The image was not correct.

Its preview was blank white.

Adobe does not do a good job with backwards compatibility things like actions and scripts may not work with Adobe next change. Adobe introduces bugs and make incompatible changes which breake things. Forward compatibility is not possible for things don't exist yet else there is nothing new in the new version.

• 6. Re: Am I correct in thinking that photos worked on in PS CC wont open in CS6?
                    Ronald Keller Level 4

I stand corrected; I think you are right that it is safer to maximize compatibility.

However in CC I did what you suggested: Then add some smart filters to that smart object,  Camera shake,  New Smart Sharpen.

When I opened the files (with or without compatibility) in CS6 I even did not get any warning. The file opened without grumbling. I could double click the smart sharpen and it brought me to the filter! (the CS6 version of course)

However I could not double click the camera shake. It was present, I could hide/show it but not edit it.

• 7. Re: Am I correct in thinking that photos worked on in PS CC wont open in CS6?

The thing is if there are many smart filters on a smart object layer changing one may require all the other filters to be reapplied.  There is a pecking order. You can not reapply a filter that a version does not have support for,

In the example I made up camera shake, sharpen, add noise.  If you have the correct pixels for the layer because of something max compatibility saved. If you wanted to adjust the smart sharpening filter which you state is there.  I would need to work on the pixels the all the filters before it generated but not of the pixels generated after it.  You would need the composite of all the filters before the sharpen filter and not the added noise generated after it.  I think that you would need to face the fact you can not really work on the layer if smart filters uses are not fully supported the photoshop version in use. In the case you would best off rasterize the layer and realize you lost some of flexibility you had built with cc.

I do not know what even is saved with max compatibility. I know a full composite get saved. In order to be able to redo some filters a set of pixels would need to be saved for each filter for its state. Even then if the results get fed into a filter that is applied afterwards and its not supported you can not render the layer.

• 8. Re: Am I correct in thinking that photos worked on in PS CC wont open in CS6?
                        Ronald Keller Level 4

I agree.

Sorry for this somewhat short answer but English is not my native language and it's not easy for me to find the right words.

But you are right that it's much better to maximize compatibility.

Regards,

Ronald