5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 15, 2013 6:28 AM by Liam Dilley

Social Network

Legacys7 Level 1

Is it possible to make a social network with B.C.? I have a client that wants to a social network with a mobile app feature.

• 1. Re: Social Network
          Liam Dilley Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Hi there,

That does not make much sense. What do you want to do in terms of a social aspect?
          Twitter feed on the site? Facebook like, tweet this buttons? Google plus? ....

You need to expain more on what you would like to achieve.

• 2. Re: Social Network
            Legacys7 Level 1

The question was a general question. Meaning is it possible to make a social network website. I can't give the details yet on what I need because the client hasn't got in touch with me yet to give details. But I guess a better question(s) to ask are, is it possible? If yes, what can I do with B.C, and what are my limits?  Twitter and Facebook type of functionality?

• 3. Re: Social Network

Oh, a social media website.

Not on BC no.

Every one of the most popular social media sites out there are custom build things. Millions of dollars of development and nothing to be taken lightly.

As a clear warning - Anyone who has approached me saying they want to build a youtube or facebook etc and anyone thats thought they could really have no idea. I do not want to be rued but being brutally honest here to save you time - If your looking at things like BC to build a facebook / twitter your very much barking up the wrong tree and 100% need to rethink what you are doing.

Facebook developers have modified PHP and the rendering engine of PHP itself so much to suite their needs over the years its an immense beast of a system. Twitter and the way it operates and core functionality is the key to its success and something a team of Devs are constantly coding and improving.

You need to have some serious capital, very good development skills, 100% server side coding skills like Python, C, Java, .NET and defiantly should not be looking at something like BC.

• 4. Re: Social Network
                Legacys7 Level 1

Liam Dilley wrote:

Oh, a social media website.

Not on BC no.

Every one of the most popular social media sites out there are custom build things. Millions of dollars of development and nothing to be taken lightly.

As a clear warning - Anyone who has approached me saying they want to build a youtube or facebook etc and anyone thats thought they could really have no idea. I do not want to be rued but being brutally honest here to save you time - If your looking at things like BC to build a facebook / twitter your very much barking up the wrong tree and 100% need to rethink what you are doing.

Facebook developers have modified PHP and the rendering engine of PHP itself so much to suite their needs over the years its an immense beast of a system. Twitter and the way it operates and core functionality is the key to its success and something a team of Devs are constantly coding and improving.

You need to have some serious capital, very good development skills, 100% server side coding skills like Python, C, Java, .NET and defiantly should not be looking at something like BC.

Actually I know how to build a social network from scratch. PHP, Mysql etc. My question was regarding if it's possible to do it with B,C, but on a smaller scale to save me some time because the client is on a budget. Now that I know that social networks in general can't be done with B.C. I'll move on from that not available option.

• 5. Re: Social Network

Basicall Nope.

Good look