16 Replies Latest reply: Sep 23, 2013 9:43 PM by Eireannsg1 RSS

Audition always stops recording on its own, Why?

Eireannsg1 Community Member

I often make 4 1/2 hour recording in one piece.
      Sometimes Audition just stops recording and I could never re-produce it.

Now I noticed after a while experimenting with it:

I can record two times 4 1/2 hours in one piece and after that it crashes after about  1h20 minutes.

Total recording time is about 10h15 - 10h20 minutes, then it has to crash and then it continues normal after re-start

WHY???

I made a screen copy

bloop_300.jpg

After Audition stops recording I have to press the stop button, and then only switch off Audition. Then Audition crashes and then I can re-start it to work fine...

• 1. Re: Audition always stops recording on its own, Why?
          ryclark Community Member

Could be down to memory usage. How much RAM do you have on your PC?

• 2. Re: Audition always stops recording on its own, Why?
            SteveG(AudioMasters) Community Member

Which version of Audition? And are you recording in Multitrack or Edit view?

• 3. Re: Audition always stops recording on its own, Why?
              Bob Howes Community Member

...and what version of Windows are you using.  Some of those have file size limits.

• 4. Re: Audition always stops recording on its own, Why?

I have 12 GB ram, on W7, I am using single track stereo recording Audition CS6.

The effect seems to be accumulative.

I would not record 10 hours in one go, just about 4 1/2 hours

For me it means:
                Recording two times 4 1/2 hours and then let it record empty for about an hour+ until it crashes.
                After that I can start my 4 1/2 hour recording again.

Can it have to do with something like a scratch disk? Maybe When Audition closes the contents are not cleared and it continues adding to it where you stopped last time until its full.

• 5. Re: Audition always stops recording on its own, Why?

Eireannsg1 wrote:

I have 12 GB ram, on W7, I am using single track stereo recording Audition CS6.

So Edit view, which means that you're recording to a temp file, which is subsequently stored. They have a finite limit when used like this, and you're almost certainly running into it. You need to look at the amount of space there is in your temp file location, I think (you can find this in Preferences).

You'd be better served recording in Multitrack view, because that's direct to disk, and should only be limited by the space available in your chosen storage location. But as a wav file, you should bear in mind that at CD rates, you are going to end up with over a 7 gb file for 10+ hrs...

• 6. Re: Audition always stops recording on its own, Why?

thank you so much for that tip.
                    I will try to find the temp file and delete it after each recording. I would suspect then it would work fine.

Any idea why Audition doesnt clear the temp file after closing the program but instead continues using it?

• 7. Re: Audition always stops recording on its own, Why?

If the program effectively crashed or stopped because of a full, unterminated temp file, then it wouldn't delete it, but attempt to use it for a recovery next time you opened Audition - which would almost inevitably fail in this scenario. If you make a successful recording and save it, then the temp file will be deleted anyway.

• 8. Re: Audition always stops recording on its own, Why?

I dont save the recorded files but convert them into MP3s and then I close the program.

Audition gives me that error message after I have recorded an accumulated time of 10 hours and a bit.

It seems that after the TEMP file has reached its maximum size the recording just stops.

I suspect that after recording, saving and closing Audition one TMP file isnt closed.

When Audition is re-started Audition continues using it until it has reached its maximum size and then it breaks down.

• 9. Re: Audition always stops recording on its own, Why?

Eireannsg1 wrote:

I suspect that after recording, saving and closing Audition one TMP file isnt closed. When Audition is re-started Audition continues using it until it has reached its maximum size and then it breaks down.

No, the conditions are as I previously stated - for precisely the the reasons I gave. If this wasn't the case, then previous session recovery wouldn't be possible - and it is.

• 10. Re: Audition always stops recording on its own, Why?

SteveG(AudioMasters) wrote:

If the program effectively crashed or stopped because of a full, unterminated temp file, then it wouldn't delete it, but attempt to use it for a recovery next time you opened Audition

OK, then it means the program crashed and thats why it stops recording after having recorded a total accumulated  time of a bit over 10 hours?
                            Why does it always crash then after 10 over hours of accumulated recording time?

Sorry I possibly dont know enough about computers to understand the entire background why it crashes every third time I make a recording.

• 11. Re: Audition always stops recording on its own, Why?

Eireannsg1 wrote:

OK, then it means the program crashed and thats why it stops recording after having recorded a total accumulated  time of a bit over 10 hours?
                              Why does it always crash then after 10 over hours of accumulated recording time?

Probably because you've reached the size limit in the temp file location you've chosen. Without actually looking at your system, I can't be absolutely sure about this, but it would make sense; a 10hr temp file is going to be pretty damn large - around 6gb or so. Or, you've reached a system limit - possible, but I'm not aware of one with temp files.

• 12. Re: Audition always stops recording on its own, Why?

Thats why I said: why doesn't Audition close and delete the temp file after Audition is closed?

That would solve the problem.

Now it seems that with every new recording session the temp file keeps accumulating and accumulating until its full and the program breaks down.

I also noticed that the temporary files in this folder:

bloop_305.jpg

are mostly above 2.000.000 k and less that 2.800.000 k in size with a new temporary file (new date) created with every session.(4.5 h recording time)

Still, some files seem to become as big as 3.333.335 k in size. I suspect its then when the recording breaks down.

• 13. Re: Audition always stops recording on its own, Why?

After recording almost 10 hours I suspected that today Audition would stop working again.

Well, it happened.

One of these weird TEMP files was on 0kb and could not be written after 38 minutes of recording.

I stopped recording and restarted it and then suddenly the TEMP file could be written

bloop_307.jpg

I think Audition has a bug somewhere that causes that after a certain time of recording the TEMP file cant be written and it remains at 0Kb. Thats when the program stops.

I tried to use Multi Track recording but when I create a new multi track session I cant push the record button. Thats a bit complicated to do as it seems.

• 14. Re: Audition always stops recording on its own, Why?
                                    Bob Howes Community Member

A couple of things...

When recording in Waveform/Edit view, do you save the file before exiting Audition?  If not, I believe it attempts to keep the Temp file to offer you a recovery facility next time Audition starts.  That could be why the Temp file isn't being cleared--a deliberate safety feature. 

Second, the inability to hit Record in Multitrack View (and Waveform View for that matter) is usually a mismatch between the specified bit depth and sample rate in Audition and in Windows.  Before you set up a new session in Audition, go to the Win 7 Audio Control panel and set up your record source to be whatever spec you want.  Then, set up your Audition session using those same settings.  That usually gets things going for you.  FYI, I wouldn't attempt to record any long files in Edit, if only because I'm to impatient to wait while the Temp file saves--I much prefer the system in Multitrack.

• 15. Re: Audition always stops recording on its own, Why?
                                      ryclark Community Member

Apart from setting up for recording as Bob says you also have to make sure that the track you are recording on to has a legitimate audio source selected for recording from. If you are not used to the Multitrack view you make have ommitted to Record Enable the track that you wish to record onto by clicking on the Arm for Record button (R in a little square) in the track header. It should turn red if a usable audio source has been selected. Only then will the Transport Record button do anyhting.

• 16. Re: Audition always stops recording on its own, Why?

Bob Howes wrote:

A couple of things...

When recording in Waveform/Edit view, do you save the file before exiting Audition?  If not, I believe it attempts to keep the Temp file to offer you a recovery facility next time Audition starts.  That could be why the Temp file isn't being cleared--a deliberate safety feature. 

I do save the recording before closing Audition.

When I start a new recording a new TEMP file is created but I can still see all the previous TEMP files.

So, it cant be that information is accumulated into one temp file.

As soon as it comes to a total accumulated recording time of 10 hours and a bit it doesn't write the latest TEMP file any more. When I go to the folder with the temp files I see the latest TEMP file with a file size of 0kb.

Somewhere else something else must be accumulating something or I could not repeat that strange behaviour.

Now the only thing I can do is: Record two times 4h30min and then record some junk until the latest Audition TEMP file crashes and then stop Audition and continue recording 4h30min files.