11 Replies Latest reply: Sep 17, 2013 10:02 AM by Stan Jones RSS

Blu-Ray slide show transition pauses?

ialreadyhaveascreenname

I use encore's slide show feature to create slide shows all the time, and they consistantly turn out great on DVD.  But recently I had a client request a slide show on blu-ray.  Thinking that there should be no discernable difference in the processes or difficulty, I agreed.  But I ran into a problem.

I placed 50 medium resolution (virtical resolution of 1500 pix on all) pictures into the slide show time line, and sync'd them up with the audio (standard mp3, duration 4 mins XX sec).  I clicked "cross fade" as the standard transition.  Random pan and zoom was also selected.  I rendered the transitions, then I burned the disc.  There is other stuff on the disc.  All items on the disc play just fine EXCEPT for this slide show.

Here's the weird Part, when I play the slide show on my test blu-ray player, each slide will pause for 1 second, but the music will continue to play.  When the song is over, there are still 50 seconds of pictures that continue to play until they are over, then the disc will direct to the main menu.

I am using Production Package CS5.  Windows 7 X64 pro.  8GB 1333 DDR3 RAM.  Dual 10K HDD's raid1.  Sony optiarc Blu-Ray burner with latest firmware.  Also updated firmware on blu-ray player for my testing.  discs are JVC  (taiyo yuden) blu-ray discs part # j-bdr-25ws-25sb6l. BD-R LTH 6X watershield discs.

I know LTH could possibly have compatibility problems, but once all firmware and software was updated on my end, everything seemed to go fine.  That is until slide show playback.

• 1. Re: Blu-Ray slide show transition pauses?
          ialreadyhaveascreenname Community Member

update... burned to NON-LTH disc with same results.  I also exported to FLV then reinserted it into the project and it appeared to burn fine... but, let's face it.  That's not the right way to create an HD slide show AT ALL.  Thanks for ANY help!

• 2. Re: Blu-Ray slide show transition pauses?
            Stan Jones MVP

I would try a very small slideshow only project - e.g. 1 menu, 5 slides. It would help if you have a very small project to test.

I would also build to an image or folder and test with Total Media Theater 5 (just testing 6). Many software players do not emulate slideshows and have problems even when a burned disk does not. If you don't have TMT and create the little project and it shows the problem, you can send to me for test.

The most likely problem is image size or junk in the mp3.

If you get the problem with the small project, replace the images with ones scaled to the exact project size, to confirm that fixes the problem. If it does, it gives you some info.

Convert the mp3 to wav. Try that.

• 3. Re: Blu-Ray slide show transition pauses?

created small slide show and also exported to a blu-ray folder and then subsequently burned to disc.  Same symptoms.

Important! - I took the AVCHD video from the blu-ray folder that I created and I played it in windows media player.  Plays perfectly on my computer.  So I am going to get ahold of an additional blu-ray player just to see if it is my specific player.  I have a samsung... very expensive, but also 2-3 years old.  I don't know.  Will update tomorrow after I get another player and try it.  I just hate the idea of producing products that have limited compatibility.  Adobe is usually very good about that.

• 4. Re: Blu-Ray slide show transition pauses?
                Stan Jones MVP

Good idea to try another player.

• 5. Re: Blu-Ray slide show transition pauses?

just tried another player (magnavox). Same symptoms.  I looked into the disc formatting, and I'm noticing that a Blu-ray SLIDE SHOW will place 1 AVCHD VIDEO for every picture/slide.  The video will contain a picture, it's animation and finally the transition and will then end.  All videos are in numerical order according to how they were placed on the slide show time line in Encore.  I gather that the "slide show" formatting causes the blu-ray player to have to "search" for a new video every time a slide ends.  This seems problematic.  Is that how it is supposed to format?  do people make it a practice to render/encode a slide show as a complete video BEFORE placing it into ENcore for Blu-ray authoring?  Something doesn't seem right with this process.  What can you tell me about this?

• 6. Re: Blu-Ray slide show transition pauses?
                    Stan Jones MVP

Do a search, and you'll see lots of issues with Encore Bluray slideshows. I do not know what the formula may be for success. I do not use them.

Yes, a plain slideshow has one mts per slide. A slideshow with transition but no zoom/pan has one per slide and one per transition. A slideshow with transition and zoom/pan has one per slide with the full duration per mts.

A variety of quality issues have been reported, but I don't recall the color flashes issue. I get what looks very similar to me.

I recommend doing the slideshow in Premiere, and just having no control for the user. One person reported making a chapter point for each slide, and that allowed some advance.

You can get a clean slide using no transitions and no pan/zoom; H264 for project settings (used for slideshows) is the recommendation when Mpeg results in poor slideshow quality.

• 7. Re: Blu-Ray slide show transition pauses?

What I ended up doing is taking my slide show from encore, creating a whole new encore project with ONLY the slide show, rendering it out as a .flv file, then inserting that file into the final Blu-Ray and removing the actual slide show files from the disc (turns slide show into one movie).  The only reason I did this was because I LOVE the ease at which a slide show can be created in encore.  Very easy to set up etc...

So let me ask you this one last question.  I have only used encore for building slide shows.  If you can build a slide show in premiere, is it comparibley easy? or do you have to painstakingly animate every single transition and animation?  If you know of an easy way, I would LOVE to know.  Because I haven't found it.  That would be a HUGE help.  Thank you.

• 8. Re: Blu-Ray slide show transition pauses?

I don't really care about the "advance to next slide" feature.  Folks just want music and pictures.

• 9. Re: Blu-Ray slide show transition pauses?
                          Stan Jones MVP

If you can build a slide show in premiere, is it comparibley easy? or do you have to painstakingly animate every single transition and animation?

No and yes. (Not "easy" as you are defining it here; and yes, must animate it all. You can use presets, etc, and you can apply to multiples, but not random, varying, etc.)

• 10. Re: Blu-Ray slide show transition pauses?

but I don't recall the color flashes issue

Don't know what you mean by this ^.  But all the same. My problem has been figured out.  And I now know what to do.  Strange the things that Adobe get's short sighted about... like BD slide shows, or audio in After Effects that actually works, allowing you to export/encode video clips according to your chapter markers in Premiere Pro (rather than having to create a whole new sequence for each encoded video clip).  Anyway.  Thank you.

• 11. Re: Blu-Ray slide show transition pauses?
                              Stan Jones MVP

I had a momentary lapse; I don't know what I mean either!

Glad you found a way!