Thanks for trying to help, unfortunately it does not work.
I have 4 catalogs. Ticking the checkbox "show previously converted catalogs" lists the 3 that were succesfully converted, but not the 4th that has yet to be converted.
I tried tricking it by moving one converted catalog to another folder and renaming the unconverted catalog to the same name.
As expected this did not work, but it was worth a try.
The unconverted catalog is larger than than the others because it is my main one, but not that much larger than one of those successfully converted. (27kb vs 19kb). I don't think the size matters as it doesn't even list the catalog in the select window.
Any other ideas would be appreciated as Adobe chat was unwilling to help, claiming that "Album" was too old to support.
My opinion is that I needed support to get the brand new "Elements 11" to work properly not "Album", but they disagreed.
As I mentioned before, the real frustration stems from the fact that based on personal experience, I KNOW "Elements 11" can do this, I just don't know how.
The trusty old computer with "Album" died and the new one won't run it. I need some way of saving all the info previously entered.
Thanks for any help,
The Catalog is on the Hard drive in a "My documents" folder where I put the copy from the old computer.
Same place the successfully converted catalogs were.
I have tried moving it to different folders on the hard drive. Result is the same.
I have also tried converting the catalog directly from the Thumb Drive that I used to transfer it from the old computer. This too did not work.
That's really strange. Can you please give a screenshot of this catalog's contents - i..e open the catalog folder in windows explorer and take a screenshot.\
If the catalog name is "ABC" in C:\users\<uname>\Documents" then you should be able to locate it for conversion in the Conversion dialog by browsing upto "C:\users\<uname>\Documents" location.
Attached is the screen shot you requested. The three smaller catalogs were successfully converted, the larger has not been.
I can Navigate the conversion dialog as you point out and arrive at the correct folder, It just does not list any catalogs to convert. If I tick "show previously converted catalogs" it will list the 3 smaller ones only
It might be useful to point out that at the time I converted the 3 they were the only 3 in the folder, The other file was in a different folder at the time so it may well have listed had it been in the same folder.
To be clear none of the 4 show up in the dialog now, unless I tick "show previously converted catalogs"
The 3 I converted only showed up as a fluke, once.
It almost seems like I accidentaly hit a "programer's cheat" or something like that. (press control while trying to open, etc..)
It seems so unlikely, but I am at a loss to explain why It listed the catalogs once and only once.
I have tried things like Ctl key and Alt key etc to no avail.
I am beginning to be resigned to not finding the answer. I doubt many others are trying to do this from Album in Elements 11 (Album is oven 10 years old).
It appears that you don't have personal experience in converting Album catalogs but are trying your best to help from Adobe documentation (that does not seem to specifically address the issue) and analysis and "trial and error" like me.
Like I keep repeating, it is so much more frustrating to know it IS possible, but not know how to do it.
If I understand correctly, you are saying that I should be sure to click "Select Folder" when "My Documents" is showing or highlighted not a level down at "Catalogs" or a level up at "Documents".
I have tried at all three levels many times without success. The "Show previously converted catalogs" check box works only when I have chosen to select folder when "Catalogs" is highlighted.
I have also tried going directly to the file through the path of c:/users/ etc... avoiding the "library" folder but it makes no difference.
Thanks for you continued efforts.
Thank you for all your help, but the problem seems to have been innocuous.
The catalog file I was trying to convert apparently had some kind of error in it even though it showed up in Explorer just fine.
When I tried copying another test catalog from the old computer, it showed up and converted just fine, so I tried making another
copy from the old computer of the main catalog and it converted just as it should.
Thanks again Andaleeb. Sorry for the wild goose chase.