13 Replies Latest reply on Sep 17, 2013 8:15 PM by Steven L. Gotz

Correcting initial frame size setting error

wolvesjim

Hi there,

A very noobie mistake on my part I'm afraid. When working with some 1280x720 footage from a DSLR I mistakenly put the initial project frame size in as 1920x1080. Hence when I export the completed video it does not fill the screen. I've looked into altering the Sequence Settings but the program won't let me change it now. Any tips out there for getting it to export at the right size. Can I copy and paste the whole thing into a new project with the correct specs or might it be a case of altering the size of the image in the Export Settings panel? This video has taken a long, long time. I can't really go back and start from scratch.

Thanks a lot people,

Jim, U.K.

• 1. Re: Correcting initial frame size setting error
          Steven L. Gotz Level 5

Step 1:  Create a new sequence in your project by dragging and dropping one of your media clips on the "New Item" button in the lower right of the Project Panel.

Step 2:  Delete the clip from the new sequence leaving you with a nice empty sequence.

Step 3:  Go to the orginal sequence and lasso everything on the entire timeline, and copy it.

Step 4:  Paste it all into the new sequence

I believe that will give you what you are after, if you didn't scale any of the images up to 1920X1080. If you did, you will have to scale them back down to 100%.

http://forums.adobe.com/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/2-4797541-247095/309-406/new+item+icon.png

• 2. Re: Correcting initial frame size setting error
            Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Or wait until october and change sequence settings on the spot.

• 3. Re: Correcting initial frame size setting error
              wolvesjim Level 1

That's fantastic, thanks so much Steven. Everything seemed to be in order until I replayed the newly copied sequence and unfortunately most of the attributes seemed to be missing i.e. my Cross Dissolves and Opacity settings etc. weren't taking effect. I tried the Paste Attributes function but no luck. Any idea why or a workaround for this scenario..?

Thanks again,

Regards,

Jim.

• 4. Re: Correcting initial frame size setting error
                Jim_Simon Level 8

Anything you have set up at the track level won't come over into the new sequence.  You'll have to redo that work.  Only clips and their associated properties and transitions will be copied over.

• 5. Re: Correcting initial frame size setting error
                  wolvesjim Level 1

Wow...ok...erm, that's not ideal if that's the case. All my Cross Dissolves have copied but they appear only at the end of each clip and I'm unable to extend them, presumably because the program has no underlying data to use in the transition..? Is there a way around that? Thanks for your input Jim- what would you suggest? Do you concur with Steven's approach of copying into a new sequence or is there some way of scaling the whole original up or down to counter the frame size issue.

Thanks everyone,

Jim.

• 6. Re: Correcting initial frame size setting error
                    wolvesjim Level 1

...Just found the Scale To Frame Size function. Gonna give it a whirl. Am I in for a huge loss in quality?

• 7. Re: Correcting initial frame size setting error
                      Jim_Simon Level 8

The problem likely arrives from the original sequence being 30 fps and the new sequence being 60 fps.  You'll need to tweak some things.  (And yes, I would recommend that tweaking over Scale to Frame Size.)

• 8. Re: Correcting initial frame size setting error
                        wolvesjim Level 1

Thanks Jim, good to know. Why are the two differentiated in term of fps now? Can I just tweak the sequence settings or the clip properties...sorry, not that handy in this area of things. Gimme a coupla clues and I'll do the required reading to fill in the blanks.

Thank you,

Jim.

• 9. Re: Correcting initial frame size setting error
                          Jim_Simon Level 8

1080i most often runs at 30 fps, whereas 720p runs at 60 fps.  So if your default transition length was set to 30 frames to match the original incorrect sequence, you'll need to change all those transitions to 60 frames to get the same one second duration.

• 10. Re: Correcting initial frame size setting error
                            Steven L. Gotz Level 5

Or wait until october and change sequence settings on the spot.

I still say that you should have to pass a test before you are allowed to use that feature. It is going to make it tough with people changing their settings and not understanding the ramifications.

• 11. Re: Correcting initial frame size setting error
                              Steven L. Gotz Level 5

wolvesjim,

I would call you Jim, but with Jim Simon already on this thread, it might be best not confuse the issue.

Please post the information about your footage. Jim is right (as usually) about 720p but some people shoot with some really odd settings. So, just in case.

Also, which version of Premiere Pro are you using? On a Mac or a PC.

Also, I don't think Jim Simon noticed that you are in the U.K. - which means it is probably 25fps and 50fps

I can't think of a reason that opacity would not have copied over, so the version you are using could be relevant.

Edit: I just tried to recreate your issue with Pr CC and it came over without a problem.

• 12. Re: Correcting initial frame size setting error
                                wolvesjim Level 1

Hi Steven,

Thanks for getting involved again. I'm on CS5.5, on a PC. I myself get the feeling that there might just be one or two little things set wrong which I haven't noticed or heard of. Here's shot of the settings I keyed in initially:

And one of the properties of some of my footage...

It was all shot on a Canon 500D here in the U.K.

Anything else you'd need to get to the root of the problem, let me know. Like I said, the transitions are there but they don't fit correctly between clips and I can't stretch them. The opacity settings aren't right either by the looks of it. I used the Scale to Frame Size option yesterday and after 8 hours of encoding the final edit has lost a lot of quality. I'd really like to get it back as I intended.

Thanks a lot,

Jim.

• 13. Re: Correcting initial frame size setting error
                                  Steven L. Gotz Level 5

I never had CS5.5 so I can't pull it up and try it.

Scale to frame size is not going to give you what you want.

I don't know that this is in 5.5 but it probably is...

As I understand it, you have a 720p video running in your 1080p frame. Right?

So, when you export, just crop the 1920X1080 to 1280X720 and export to 1280X720. Simple.

Here is a screen shot of what I mean:

Capture.PNG